Report: Yanks turned down Kennedy-less deal

NIGHT STALKER

According to the New York Daily News, the Yankees turned down a trade for Johan Santana that would have sent Phil Hughes, Melky Cabrera, Jeff Marquez and Mitch Hilligoss to Minnesota.

Previous speculation was that the Yankees balked at including Ian Kennedy along with Hughes and Cabrera, but the newspaper reports that general manager Brian Cashman turned down a deal that didn't include Kennedy at all. According to the report, Cashman "never wanted to do the Santana deal in the first place" and became even less interested once Andy Pettitte was re-signed. If true, that would explain why Hank Steinbrenner stuck to his self-imposed deadline and might indicate that the Yankees are truly out of the Santana mix.

According to the New York Daily News, the Yankees turned down a trade for Johan Santana that would have sent Phil Hughes, Melky Cabrera, Jeff Marquez and Mitch Hilligoss to Minnesota.

Previous speculation was that the Yankees balked at including Ian Kennedy along with Hughes and Cabrera, but the newspaper reports that general manager Brian Cashman turned down a deal that didn't include Kennedy at all. According to the report, Cashman "never wanted to do the Santana deal in the first place" and became even less interested once Andy Pettitte was re-signed. If true, that would explain why Hank Steinbrenner stuck to his self-imposed deadline and might indicate that the Yankees are truly out of the Santana mix.

I don't know much about Marquez and Hilligoss but it looks right now like the Yanks are out.

Doesn't mean though that they will stay out. ;)

I would have had a real hard time giving up two "prized" pitching prospects and Melky and then have to come up with another 150-200 million for Santana.

This other deal, I would probably give it alot of consideration.

Cashman's plan since the Yanks were eliminated in 06 has been to rebuild the farm system and build a core they way the core was built around Jeter, Mo, Bernie and such. Now everyone wants the Yanks to go back to trading everyone to get this guy.

Tough call. I still think just like the A-Rod deal, this isn't over just yet.

I don't know much about Marquez and Hilligoss but it looks right now like the Yanks are out.

Doesn't mean though that they will stay out. ;)

I would have had a real hard time giving up two "prized" pitching prospects and Melky and then have to come up with another 150-200 million for Santana.

This other deal, I would probably give it alot of consideration.

Cashman's plan since the Yanks were eliminated in 06 has been to rebuild the farm system and build a core they way the core was built around Jeter, Mo, Bernie and such. Now everyone wants the Yanks to go back to trading everyone to get this guy.

Tough call. I still think just like the A-Rod deal, this isn't over just yet.

Marquez is a Wang type of pitcher. he has more movement on his secondary pitches though, and does not throw quite as hard as Wang can. He is more 92 or so. Which actually is the speed where Wang is at his best. Marquez Ks more than Wang, but not that much more. He is on the radar, and would be a choice if the Yankees were hit again with the crazy amount of injuries in 2008 like they were in 2007, along with Horne.

Hilligoss had a wonderful season in lower "A" ball, including a 35 game hitting streak this past summer. Did not display much power, but the word I understand is that he was working on spraying the ball from gap to gap. He had 35 doubles, and the same number of steals. Plays OK defense at 3B, probably a better SS. Comes from Purdue, and is considered a smart player.

Neither kid is a top of the line prospect now, although Marquez should reach that status this season, and Hilligoss needs to settle on a position, and show some pop to reach the "next level".

Just heard a caller on the FAN bring up the fact that he's not sure why Hank would listen to Cashman on any trade involving pitching. His opinion was based on the fact Cashman has never hit correctly on any past pitching trades. Gotta admit, hard pressed to think of a deal Cashman won on where pitching is concerned.

Just heard a caller on the FAN bring up the fact that he's not sure why Hank would listen to Cashman on any trade involving pitching. His opinion was based on the fact Cashman has never hit correctly on any past pitching trades. Gotta admit, hard pressed to think of a deal Cashman won on where pitching is concerned.

His moves for Chacon and Small saved the 2005 season. And he did not panic last year, and kept the kids instead of trading for Gagne, who tried his hardest to blow it all for the Bosox.

The Weaver deal, and the Vasquez deal, were sound at the time they were made. Everyone thought those guys would be studs.

Andy will be lucky to make all his starts this yr.

If we passed on Santana because we have pettitte...I'm rooting for the ****ing Brewers next season.

I promise.

They passed on him because they didn't want to give up two top pitching prospects. I don't blame them.

Remember how excited everyone was when the Yankees got Jason Giambi and Mike Mussina? Yeah that was great. Filled the stands and everything.

Now that they have a full stadium they can get back to the business of winning World Championships!

They passed on him because they didn't want to give up two top pitching prospects. I don't blame them.

Remember how excited everyone was when the Yankees got Jason Giambi and Mike Mussina? Yeah that was great. Filled the stands and everything.

Now that they have a full stadium they can get back to the business of winning World Championships!

Don't forget, the Yanks are also a win "now" type of team.

The line-up that they have, those are veterans. Where the majority of that line-up is in 3 to 4 years is anybody's guess.

You make the case of moves that have not brought championships. As well, baseball is littered with teams that had windows of opportunities and failed to make the big move that could propel them through that window, with the thought it was always going to be open, only to have it slammed shut.

the decision is no slam dunk either way. That is what makes sport fun.

In a way, I agree.

Enough with the mantra of an All-Star at every position. Build a team, and if your convictions include using a young rotation, so be it. But don't try to buy every star out there.

Archived