Steelers Want To Be The Ones....

SoFlaJets

Steelers vs. Patriots: Tomlin says this isn't Appalachian State vs. Michigan

By ALAN ROBINSON, AP Sports Writer

December 4, 2007

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- This game has been on the Pittsburgh Steelers' minds for weeks and, finally, they can talk about it.

The Steelers (9-3) are convinced they can ruin New England's perfect season, and they were secretly rooting for the Patriots (12-0) to stay unbeaten so they would have the chance to do exactly that Sunday in Foxborough.

They know something about stopping New England streaks, too, having halted a record Patriots run only three years ago and, with it, the possibility of an undefeated season.

Pittsburgh almost didn't get this chance to keep New England out of the record book, as the Patriots were forced to stage a desperation rally to beat Baltimore 27-24 on Monday night. The week before, the Patriots trailed in the fourth quarter of a 31-28 win over Philadelphia.

Now, the Steelers could be the best team standing in the way of the Patriots and the NFL's first 16-0 regular season. After Pittsburgh, the Patriots play the Jets (3-9), the Dolphins (0-12) and the New York Giants (8-4).

"Obviously you think about it, because everybody talks about them because they are undefeated," quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said. "Everything that has to do with news and sports is the New England Patriots, and deservedly so. They're a great football team offensively and defensively."

The Patriots could be at a disadvantage because they will have a short week of preparation for the Steelers, who own the AFC's third-best record and are in contention for a wild-card playoff bye. Still, that same scenario didn't hurt the Steelers last week as they beat Miami 3-0 on Monday and the Bengals 24-10 on Sunday.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin willingly heaped plenty of praise on the Patriots during his weekly news conference Tuesday but, by the end, seemed to be wearying of all the how-great-are-the-Patriots questions.

"This isn't Appalachian State against Michigan," he said.

Even if some of the Patriots' scores -- 52-7, 56-10, 38-14 -- resemble an early season college mismatch. The Patriots have, by far, the league's top offense, leading in scoring average (39.1), yards per game (425.3) and passing yardage (304).

The Steelers counter with the league's best overall defense (230.8 yards), No. 1 passing defense (154 yards) and the No. 2 rushing defense (76.8).

"We'd better get ready -- we know how explosive they are," linebacker Larry Foote said. "But we're confident with our own swagger. If we play our game, we can beat anybody."

Offensive tackle Max Starks said "some teams might be star-struck by them," but the Steelers won't be.

"Some defenses might be, 'Oh my gosh, I'm going against Randy Moss, Wes Welker, Donte Stallworth. Tom Brady is the quarterback.' Some people might get enamored with that," Starks said. "But I definitely don't see that in our defense."

The Steelers have this going for them, too: Only three seasons ago, they stopped a couple of long Patriots streaks, as well as New England's chance for an undefeated season.

Pittsburgh's 34-20 win at Heinz Field on Oct. 31, 2004, ended New England's record 18-game season winning streak and a 21-game overall winning streak. It also was the Patriots' first loss that season after a 6-0 start; the Patriots would finish 14-2 during the season and win the Super Bowl.

Turnovers led to that Halloween loss in Pittsburgh, with Brady throwing two interceptions and losing a fumble and Roethlisberger, still unbeaten as an NFL starter at the time, converting four Patriots mistakes into scores.

Still, Tomlin said nothing in the past means anything in this game and that Pittsburgh will prepare for New England like it does for any other opponent.

"We're going to play our game," he said. "We don't let people dictate how we play defense. but we got to play our game and play it well."

Notes

All three injured Steelers regulars could return Sunday: wide receiver Santonio Holmes (ankle), left tackle Marvel Smith (back) and safety Troy Polamalu (knee). They have missed the last two games. ... The Steelers will play in Foxborough for only the second time since 1997. They lost there 30-14 in their 2002 opener. ... The Steelers have offered no explanation for RB Najeh Davenport's absence from Sunday's 24-10 win over Cincinnati, other than he may have a sore knee.

I'll be rooting for my Steelers this week, just as I rooted for my Ravens on Monday :)

what's messed up is I sit there rooting for bad stuff to happen to the Patriots players now-I never did that before this year-at least not on a consistent basis

Maybe I will be proven wrong, but I just do not think the Steelers are all that good. They have had a good schedule, and some good breaks, and have played pretty solid, but I do not see them as an elite team. New England has had the lull all teams have at some point during the season, and will be really amped up and ready for the Steelers. I just do not see it being close.

According to Anthony Smith it's a done deal.

Steelers' safety Smith guarantees Sunday win versus Patriots

Wednesday, December 05, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Safety Anthony Smith not only thinks the Steelers have a chance to beat the undefeated New England Patriots Sunday, he guarantees it.

"We're going to win,'' Smith said today after practice. "Yeah, I can guarantee a win.''

Smith, a hard-hitting free safety who replaced injured Ryan Clark as the starter midway through the season, said he's not worried about any motivation he might be giving the 12-0 Patriots with his words.

"Now we have our swagger back on defense and we're playing great ball and they're playing great on the offensive side, too,'' he said of the Steelers. "I think we have a real good chance to win the game and we will win the game.''

Not only that, he said while New England's receiving corps of Randy Moss, Wes Welker and Donte Stallworth is good, it isn't as good as the one the Steelers played Sunday against the Bengals , featuring T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Chad Johnson and Chris Henry.

"I think we were facing great receivers last week too and we shut them down,'' Smith said. "Those three guys, I don't think it gets much better than Cincinnati's corps of receivers. We've already seen the best."

Smith added a little more lumber to the fire when he said New England's receivers haven't been hit the way they will be hit on Sunday.

"They said Baltimore was their most physical game but I think we hit harder than Baltimore, so they haven't seen nothing like us yet.

"They should be worried about us. We never worry about receivers. We're the ones doing the hitting. They have to run routes. We're attacking them, they're not really attacking us."

Of all people to come out and talk it has to be Anthony Friggin' Smith? Who the hell is he? If this was Polamalu or Roethlisberger or Ward, maybe there would be some credibility to this. The Patriots will simply laugh this off because Smith is a nobody.

Damn. This all but guarantees a New England win.

Apart from Joe Namath who else in the NFL has guaranteed a win and then delivered the goods?

Joe Namath was the man and backed up his comments. Who the F is Anthony Smith?

Apart from Joe Namath who else in the NFL has guaranteed a win and then delivered the goods?

Joe Namath was the man and backed up his comments. Who the F is Anthony Smith?

I remember now! Anthony Smith is the guy who got burned on the flea flicker back when we played the Steelers.

Archived