Props where props are due

Matt39

In my lifetime of watching baseball I have never seen a better hitting duo than Manny Ramirez and David Ortiz.

Both of these guys are absolute hitting machines.

I just hope the Yankees will one of these days learn not to pitch to Ortiz anymore.

You just gotta pitch that fat dump of lard real inside and high and hope that he strikes out or pops up. You sure as hell aren't gonna get his ass out by throwing 75mph breaking balls on the inside of the plate.

And he is LOOOONG over due for a beanball in the head. Teach this mutherf'er a lesson that he cant just lean over the plate anymore. Too bad Clemens isn't hear to sack up and play the game like its supposed to be played.

They are two tough hitters.

Kent and Bonds, Pujols and Rolen hitting back to back are a couple of other duos off the top of my head from recent times that were a nightmare on opposing pitchers.

Mantle - Maris ... Mays- McCovey , Ruth -Gehrig were probably the toughest combos ever.

the world has never seen a 3-4 combination like Big Papi and SuperManny. Manny is simply the best right-handed hitter in the game and a complete and utter RBI machine. David Ortiz has proven himself to be the best bargain in the history of baseball...probably in all of sports! Bonds/Kent? Pujols/Rolen, Playa Please!!! They dont come close!

Now, Im no fan of players like Key-yawn and TO whining about being underpaid and threatening to sit out of seasons to force management to restructure...but I wholeheartedly think that John Henry should tear up Ortiz's current contract and hand him a blank check and say, "Here...you fill it out, Big Papi." And he'd be worth every penny. Oh, and both these guys have done it without the help of chemicals! And EB, dont be ridiculous...who in their right mind is going to throw at David Ortiz's head? Any pitcher dumb enough to do that deserves to get broken in half once Papi charges the mound.

You know what I enjoy most about David Ortiz being the proven Yankee killer that he is? Fat steinbrenner wanted to sign him and was told "no" by his "baseball people." He coulda signed Papi for a fraction of what he paid Kevin Brown. Then, he has had to watch Big Papi dismantle his team for the past 3 years...put the Red Sox on his massive shoulders, carry them into and through the playoffs last year, and fianlly play like Babe Ruth right in front of him at Yankee Stadium!!!

I dont think it gets much better than that!

And EB, dont be ridiculous...who in their right mind is going to throw at David Ortiz's head? Any pitcher dumb enough to do that deserves to get broken in half once Papi charges the mound.

We've already seen The Fat Gorilla get into a fight with Sturtz

The PussE started kicking like a little vagina

So don't give us that no one should come inside on the ape, I suspect when the Yanks overtake the Sawx, and Veridouche starts crying and pouting an going after every Yankee with his full gear on....The Unit will send a message to Apemans melon.

the world has never seen a 3-4 combination like Big Papi and SuperManny. Manny is simply the best right-handed hitter in the game and a complete and utter RBI machine. David Ortiz has proven himself to be the best bargain in the history of baseball...probably in all of sports! Now, Im no fan of players like Key-yawn and TO whining about being underpaid and threatening to sit out of seasons to force management to restructure...but I wholeheartedly think that John Henry should tear up Ortiz's current contract and hand him a blank check and say, "Here...you fill it out, Big Papi." And he'd be worth every penny. Oh, and both these guys have done it without the help of chemicals! And EB, dont be ridiculous...who in their right mind is going to throw at David Ortiz's head? Any pitcher dumb enough to do that deserves to get broken in half once Papi charges the mound.

You know what I enjoy most about David Ortiz being the proven Yankee killer that he is? Fat steinbrenner wanted to sign him and was told "no" by his "baseball people." He coulda signed Papi for a fraction of what he paid Kevin Brown. Then, he has had to watch Big Papi dismantle his team for the past 3 years...put the Red Sox on his massive shoulders, carry them into and through the playoffs last year, and fianlly play like Babe Ruth right in front of him at Yankee Stadium!!!

I dont think it gets much better than that!

Lets not get carried away with "The world has never seen a 3-4 combo like this" nonsense.

By the way....Pujols is the best right handed hitter in the game. Manny is great but the subject my friend is not open for debate.

you can have Pujols...I'll take Manny.

But in large part, it is a given that Ramirez is the best RH hitter in the game. Albert is great and all, blah blah blah, but you are making it seem like he is so far head-and-shoulders above Manny, when Manny is actually the measuring stick.

Both guys have put up comparable numbers RBI-wise and batting average wise since 2001 when Pujols emerged. Just let me see him keep it up for a decade...against AL quality teams no less. I cant in good conscience compare an AL lifer to an NL lifer anyhow. Everyone says: "Other than the Cards...is there an NL team that can compete against an AL contender?" I'm not even sure the Cards can compete against the AL contenders. 2004 World Series anyone? I mean c'mon people, they never even had a lead at ANY point. And where was Pujols then? I'll tell ya where Manny was, he was winning the World Series MVP!!!

If in 5 years or so, Pujols keeps hitting .320 or higher...hats off to him. I'll call HIM the best right handed hitter in all of baseball. But for now, its SUPERMANNY...ahem.....now, end of discussion!

No...but Scott Rolen definately doesnt belong in the same thread as Albert, Manny, or David. Thats all I will say about that.

As far as the old timers...try as you might, you cannot compare players of the segregation era vs. the players today. Different game, different level of competition. Thats all I will say about that. You Yankee fans can have you "sweet" memories of yesteryear and "Murderer's Row" but lets keep it in perspective, shall we?

No...but Scott Rolen definately doesnt belong in the same thread as Albert, Manny, or David. Thats all I will say about that.

As far as the old timers...try as you might, you cannot compare players of the segregation era vs. the players today. Different game, different level of competition. Thats all I will say about that. You Yankee fans can have you "sweet" memories of yesteryear and "Murderer's Row" but lets keep it in perspective, shall we?

How about 1961? Mantle and Maris?

1 World Series and suddenly the Sox are the best team to ever grace the field. Please.

As far as Murderer's Row is concerned, there were no performance-enhancers back then, unless you count booze, broads, and cigars. And to deny Manny and Ortiz never juiced is just plain ignorant.

I didn't think it was possible, but BlowSaw today looks like an even bigger fool than he did yesterday.

When the OYW's collapse, and The Fat Goofy Gorilla is wiping away his tears, and Manny is having some acid flashback, and Fat Schill is there after the collapse......we'll be here, bring up all these threads this dewbag writes of

Glory days ahead, glory days =D>

canseco/mcguire in the late 80's

If Ruth/Gehrig are inelligible for this discussion because of the sorry state of the game BACK THEN, then I am going to have to say that these 2 roid freaks aren't worthy to carry Manny and Papi's bags.

And either prove Manny/Papi juiced (like produce grand jury testimony transcripts (like Giamboo's) or show me a papertrail of BALCO packages and thousands of dollars worth of recepits like those found at Garroid's house...or forever shut the f*ck up about it!

If Ruth/Gehrig are inelligible for this discussion because of the sorry state of the game BACK THEN, then I am going to have to say that these 2 roid freaks aren't worthy to carry Manny and Papi's bags.

And either prove Manny/Papi juiced (like produce grand jury testimony transcripts (like Giamboo's) or show me a papertrail of BALCO packages and thousands of dollars worth of recepits like those found at Garroid's house...or forever shut the f*ck up about it!

If not for the sorry state of the game back then, we wouldn't be talking about your 1-hit-wonder Sox.

And he is LOOOONG over due for a beanball in the head. Teach this mutherf'er a lesson that he cant just lean over the plate anymore. Too bad Clemens isn't hear to sack up and play the game like its supposed to be played.

Would YOU throw inside on David Ortiz? Would YOU want to get in a fight with that man? I think not.

Would YOU throw inside on David Ortiz? Would YOU want to get in a fight with that man? I think not.

No but when someone is constantly killing your pitchers your brush him off the plate. If he has a problem with that so be it. That's baseball

No but when someone is constantly killing your pitchers your brush him off the plate. If he has a problem with that so be it. That's baseball

But the thing is, Ortiz won't budge even after being thrown at. Therefore, after throwing at him, you find yourself in a 1-0 hole without cause and with nothing changing.

But the thing is, Ortiz won't budge even after being thrown at. Therefore, after throwing at him, you find yourself in a 1-0 hole without cause and with nothing changing.

Maybe. Here is the thing. At some point you have to do it. Yeah maybe the count goes 1-0 but he that thought is now in his head and he isn't digging in as much as he would.

If you saw the opening series of the year with the Sox why do you think guys like Varitek and Mueller are successful against Mariano ?

1) They have seen him plenty of times over the past 2 1/2 seasons.

2) They know Mariano and for that case most of the Yankees are not head hunters so they can dig in.

Guys like Pedro and Clemens of today and guys in the past like Gibson, and Drysdale were and are great not only because they have great stuff but the fact that they are more than willing to put a little doubt in the hitters mind of where the next pitch is going.

That is all I'm asking for. You don't need to bean a guy in the head to make him a little uncomfortable.

If you need further proof just take a look at the ALCS last year. Couple of well placed pitches by Pedro and Arroyo to Matsui and A-Rod and they were barely heard from the rest of the series.

Maybe. Here is the thing. At some point you have to do it. Yeah maybe the count goes 1-0 but he that thought is now in his head and he isn't digging in as much as he would.

If you saw the opening series of the year with the Sox why do you think guys like Varitek and Mueller are successful against Mariano ?

1) They have seen him plenty of times over the past 2 1/2 seasons.

2) They know Mariano and for that case most of the Yankees are not head hunters so they can dig in.

Guys like Pedro and Clemens of today and guys in the past like Gibson, and Drysdale were and are great not only because they have great stuff but the fact that they are more than willing to put a little doubt in the hitters mind of where the next pitch is going.

That is all I'm asking for. You don't need to bean a guy in the head to make him a little uncomfortable.

If you need further proof just take a look at the ALCS last year. Couple of well placed pitches by Pedro and Arroyo to Matsui and A-Rod and they were barely heard from the rest of the series.

All good points. Bob Gibson was most CERTAINLY the best of his time at making a hitter think twice about digging in and intimidating them.

I guess the Yankee pitching staff is just going to have to grow some testicles and actually DO what "needs" to be done.

Archived