A look at Darnell Bing

Kentucky Jet

The Jets continue to soak up some depth players.

The Jets signed two players, Guard Stanley Daniels (who saw time with the Jets shortly last summer) but more notably Darnell Bing, a name you might remember from the BCS Championship contending USC Trojans (2003-2005) earning many honors, most notably becoming a finalist for the Jim Thorpe award. Bing wore #20, a retired uniform number at USC with the permission of Mike Garrett the former Heisman winner from USC. As a junior in 2005, Bing started 11 games and finished with 50 tackles, 2.5 TFL, 6 PDs and 4 INT

I remember him when he played for Troy. Great talent. I had forgotten that he fell to the 4th round in the draft. Anybody remember why?

Just a guess, but the fact that they tried to convert him to LB means he probably isn't so great in coverage. Also, 40 times can vary wildly. He is listed at 4.58 which is far from blazing. There is a good chance that is his fastest time and/or he is not quick (slow in the shuttles) while that 4.63 was about the slowest I'd ever seen Smith timed.

FWIW, these S/LB tweeners are usually perfect for ST. Darrell McClover anybody?

Just a guess, but the fact that they tried to convert him to LB means he probably isn't so great in coverage. Also, 40 times can vary wildly. He is listed at 4.58 which is far from blazing. There is a good chance that is his fastest time and/or he is not quick (slow in the shuttles) while that 4.63 was about the slowest I'd ever seen Smith timed.

FWIW, these S/LB tweeners are usually perfect for ST. Darrell McClover anybody?

Thanks Dom, makes sense. I watch a slew of USC games (GF is a rabid Troy fan) but for the life of me couldn't remember what the rub on him was. I'm just getting old I guess. :biggrin:

Thanks Dom, makes sense. I watch a slew of USC games (GF is a rabid Troy fan) but for the life of me couldn't remember what the rub on him was. I'm just getting old I guess. :biggrin:

Don't thank me. I didn't really remember him either. Only thing I remembered was that I was kind of up in arms over the Smith pick being a reach. Especially after the reach on Schlegel and I remember Bing being one of the higher graded safeties still on the board. At the time I'd have preferred Bing to Smith. The only knock against him I remembered was that he was injury prone. I went back and looked at his pre-draft stuff and he timed 4.53 at the combine and was faster in the short shuttle (both combine and pro-day) than Eric Smith who draftdaddy.com claimed had an "outstanding workout". He was apparently expected to go late first/early second.

Archived