Yankees to re-issue #21 for first time since 2001

Lil Bit Special

Should the Yankees retire Paul O'Neill's #21  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Should the Yankees retire Paul O'Neill's #21

• Yes.
    • No.
    • No because Morgan Ensberg is going to be a better player than O'Neill ever was.

I wouldn't be surprised if this only lasts through ST. There are gonna be a million guys on the ST roster and not enough numbers to go around. Once the season starts they can tell Ensberg to take another number.

It's been long enough since Paul retired, they showed enough respect unlike w/ Andy when they issued 46 the next year. O'neill is on the fence as far as getting his # retired, #'s 2, 6 and 42and probably 51 are locks to be retired so adding a 5th from that era may be pushing it but I wouldn't have a problem w/ it.

if the yankees keep retiring #'s of "good" players, they will have to us triple digit numbers soon.

my barometer is higher than most I think. You have to either be a great HOF player, or be a very, very good player and have played at least 10 years with the team for me to retire your number. That's just me. I think a retired number is an unbelievable honor that should only go to the best.

if the yankees keep retiring #'s of "good" players, they will have to us triple digit numbers soon.

my barometer is higher than most I think. You have to either be a great HOF player, or be a very, very good player and have played at least 10 years with the team for me to retire your number. That's just me. I think a retired number is an unbelievable honor that should only go to the best.

9 years of being the best player on the yankees, being a leader, playing 100% on every play, every pitch. I would retire his number of torree's and Bernie's any day of the week and twice on sunday.

9 years of being the best player on the yankees, being a leader, playing 100% on every play, every pitch. I would retire his number of torree's and Bernie's any day of the week and twice on sunday.

paul o'neill was the best player on the yankees for 9 years???

i can't stand the yankees and I would put him behind Jeter, Bernie, Rivera at least.

i can't stand the yankees and I would put him behind Jeter, Bernie, Rivera at least.

I liked paul o'neill. He was my favorite yankee was i was like 12 so my opinion is admittedly biased. The guy had talent and still played 100% on every single play, always tried his hardest and was always disappointed when he didn't do well on every play but never let said disappointment get to him or hamper his play(even if he did let a few watercoolers fly.) If I had to choose between O'neill and Arod, I'd take O'neill.

O'neill was the heart of those teams. The Yanks have not been the same since he left imo.

Hell, he was more of a true captain than Jeter ever has was/been.

Only Mattingly gets more love from the Yankee fanbase than Paul O'neill.

O'neill was the heart of those teams. The Yanks have not been the same since he left imo.

Hell, he was more of a true captain than Jeter ever has was/been.

Only Mattingly gets more love from the Yankee fanbase than Paul O'neill.

This is the truth, non-yankee fans and people who jumped on the band-wagon after the won a few world series don't really understand how popular this guy is with the yankee fan base. I never met a yankee fan who wasn't a huge fan of paul.

I agree. It's mostly Yankee haters who don't like O'Neil b/c he kicked their ass all those years that are against it.

:bwahaharoll:

yeah, that's it. has nothing to do with retiring WAY too many numbers of "good" players. a retired # should be something special and done for great players, like Jeter, Bernie & Rivera. I'd consider Posada way before I even think of retiring O'Neill's. Just because he was popular and a good player doesnt't mean he should have his number retired. If that was the criteria Mookie Wilson's # would have been retired, or Mickey Rivers.

Save the number retiring for the greats.

yeah, that's it. has nothing to do with retiring WAY too many numbers of "good" players. a retired # should be something special and done for great players, like Jeter, Bernie & Rivera. I'd consider Posada way before I even think of retiring O'Neill's. Just because he was popular and a good player doesnt't mean he should have his number retired. If that was the criteria Mookie Wilson's # would have been retired, or Mickey Rivers.

O'Neill was a MUCH player than Posada has been.

O'Neill was a MUCH player than Posada has been.

never said Posada was a better player. was never a big fan of either one, but as an outsider, I think Posada was alot more important to the Yankee teams than O'Neill. By the time he is done, he will have played 15+ years at an extremely high level for a catcher. Torre, Jeter, Mo, Bernie & Posada are guarenteed to have their numbers retired in my mind.

never said Posada was a better player. was never a big fan of either one, but as an outsider, I think Posada was alot more important to the Yankee teams than O'Neill. By the time he is done, he will have played 15+ years at an extremely high level for a catcher. Torre, Jeter, Mo, Bernie & Posada are guarenteed to have their numbers retired in my mind.

Posada is one of my favorite yankees ever and I think that he an o'neill deserve to have their numbers retired over bernie and torre anyday. I disagree with Torre's number being retired. He was given the best team by far and won, it's not that hard to not **** up. Plus there have been many years when he had the best team in the league and lost.

Posada is one of my favorite yankees ever and I think that he an o'neill deserve to have their numbers retired over bernie and torre anyday. I disagree with Torre's number being retired. He was given the best team by far and won, it's not that hard to not **** up. Plus there have been many years when he had the best team in the league and lost.

just ask willie how hard it is to **** it up with a really good team...

:Nuts:

this line always makes me laugh. the manager gets way too much credit and way too much blame. when Mo threw the ball into CF against Arizona, was that Torre "f'ing it up"?

bottom line is while he was managing they made the playoffs every year. won 4 titles in 12 years. his mistake was winning too much too soon. got people spoiled. if he won a world series every 3 years, he would have had 4 in 12 years and would still be managing the yanks. All this being said, I think baseball manager in the A.L. is a very over rated job, BUT they will retire #6 for him, like it or not.

this line always makes me laugh. the manager gets way too much credit and way too much blame. when Mo threw the ball into CF against Arizona, was that Torre "f'ing it up"?

bottom line is while he was managing they made the playoffs every year. won 4 titles in 12 years. his mistake was winning too much too soon. got people spoiled. if he won a world series every 3 years, he would have had 4 in 12 years and would still be managing the yanks. All this being said, I think baseball manager in the A.L. is a very over rated job, BUT they will retire #6 for him, like it or not.

You're a mess fan, what do you know about winning managers?

You're a mess fan, what do you know about winning managers?

wow, good one. mess fan. :rolleyes:

you have been spoiled. you were born at the perfect time. you don't remember the yankees being bad, they started winning titles again when you were 10! ask the Yankee fans who went through the Stump Merrill days if they think Torre should have his #6 retired.

Give me a break. A Mets fan accusing Yankee fans of overrating their players? What's next? Britney Spears accusing people of being on drugs?

Paul O'Neil was a great player when he was here and a critical part of winning the 4 championships. That's two championships more than your pathetic sideshow in Queens have ever won.

Oh btw, contrary to what most Mess fans say, Mike Piazza is not the "greatest offensive catcher" of all-time. Not only was Johnny Bench better, but there is a guy named Josh Gibson who hit over 800 home runs and played the same damn position.

Mess fans spit on baseball history anytime they say Piazza was the greatest hitting catcher of all-time. Yeah, he's so much better than a guy who hit over 800 home runs and is considered one of the top 20 players of all-time.

wow, good one. mess fan. :rolleyes:

you have been spoiled. you were born at the perfect time. you don't remember the yankees being bad, they started winning titles again when you were 10! ask the Yankee fans who went through the Stump Merrill days if they think Torre should have his #6 retired.

Okay, any of you guys think we should retire Joey T's number?

Yes, Torre's number should be retired. Bernie's and Mo's, too. All three are high on the lists of Yankee accomplishments. I fully expect Jeter to be there before he retires, too. He's not there, yet.

O'Neill just doesn't reach that standard. I loved the guy, too, but anyone who thinks his number should be retired has no sense of history.

Give me a break. A Mets fan accusing Yankee fans of overrating their players? What's next? Britney Spears accusing people of being on drugs?

Paul O'Neil was a great player when he was here and a critical part of winning the 4 championships. That's two championships more than your pathetic sideshow in Queens have ever won.

Oh btw, contrary to what most Mess fans say, Mike Piazza is not the "greatest offensive catcher" of all-time. Not only was Johnny Bench better, but there is a guy named Josh Gibson who hit over 800 home runs and played the same damn position.

Mess fans spit on baseball history anytime they say Piazza was the greatest hitting catcher of all-time. Yeah, he's so much better than a guy who hit over 800 home runs and is considered one of the top 20 players of all-time.

thank you for the history lesson. remind me again where Mike Piazza ever came up in this thread? or where I said O'Neill is over rated? He was a very good player, not great. If you want to retire numbers of very good players, be my guest. just start printing triple digit jerseys soon.

and again, I Love the Mess fan comment. shows you can have a grown up discussion on a message board. I guess only Met fans are allowed to post in Mets threads and Yankee fans are allowed to post in Yankee threads? Grow up.

thank you for the history lesson. remind me again where Mike Piazza ever came up in this thread? or where I said O'Neill is over rated? He was a very good player, not great. If you want to retire numbers of very good players, be my guest. just start printing triple digit jerseys soon.

and again, I Love the Mess fan comment. shows you can have a grown up discussion on a message board. I guess only Met fans are allowed to post in Mets threads and Yankee fans are allowed to post in Yankee threads? Grow up.

For what it's worth, this Yankees fan thinks you've been making a lot of sense in this thread.

The Mets still suck, though. ;)

It's just a little bit of friendly banter and wiseassery. I mean no disrespect by calling you a mess fan I'm just talking a bit of smack. A guy who is the clubhouse leader and leads a team to 4 world series rings on any other team gets his number retired. I understand why people would think he doesn't deserve it, I just feel he does and it's obviously not out of the question as the yanks haven't given it to anyone else before this. It was obviously in discussion.

thats what some Yankee fans do... they act like Pats fans.

and yes, mets fans should avoid posting in Yankee threads because once they start making sense Yankee fans pull a Patrick Roy and stick their rings in their ears.

How was Posada much more important? The Yankees had won 3 Championships when Posada wasn't even a full time player.

Last I checked we hadn't won a playoff series since 1981 before Torre got here and in that span we won 4 WS and 6 AL Pennants. Obviously #6 will be retired.

Anyone even debating if Torre's number should be retired is an idiot. That being said I don't think Ensberg should be wearing number 21. Paullie meant way too much to the championship teams to not get some sort of respect. He was my personal favorite , during the championship run.

Paul O'Neill is my favorite player of all time but when the dust settles there is only one number that should be retired from the 1996-2001 run.

And that one is offically retired anyway for Jackie Robinson.

Jeter though will have his 2 retired.

O'Neill was the fire in that team though. He played the game the way it was supposed to be played but he wasn't a HOF'er. It is kind of ironic that the Yankees who were so bad 89-92 started to turn things around when he arrived. (Along with Jimmy Key and Boggs). He was very underated OF'er who had a really good arm and was very steady at the plate.

If they were going to retire 21 they would have done a while ago.

Paul O'Neill is my favorite player of all time but when the dust settles there is only one number that should be retired from the 1996-2001 run.

And that one is offically retired anyway for Jackie Robinson.

Jeter though will have his 2 retired.

O'Neill was the fire in that team though. He played the game the way it was supposed to be played but he wasn't a HOF'er. It is kind of ironic that the Yankees who were so bad 89-92 started to turn things around when he arrived. (Along with Jimmy Key and Boggs). He was very underated OF'er who had a really good arm and was very steady at the plate.

If they were going to retire 21 they would have done a while ago.

My only real argument with this is that I believe Bernie Williams' lifetime stats warrant having his number retired.

Archived