Winners and Losers at the combine

NYjet10

That was a good read. Interesting about Brohm. I still remember him getting b'slapped by his brother on the sidelines last year against Rutgers. Okay so he didn't get hit but he got a good old fashioned lecture. He is going to be happy to have no family members on the sidelines.

Its a fact most teams want out of the first four picks..tough to get a lot of bang for the buck.Pick 6 is a great position to work a number of scenaios in the Jets favor. with so many of the top picks the same its cost efficient to choose 6th. mike T and EM will make the most of this opportunity their given

Winner: The New York Jets. Talk is already heating up that a few teams are interested in trading to get the sixth overall pick, which is owned by the Jets. Although it's unlikely that any trade would happen any time soon, there's a perception in league circles that moving ahead of the Patriots, who pick seventh, is a good place to be in this year's first round. That means the Jets should field some offers.

Interesting.

league needs to make sure it moves away from the trivial things like Owen Schmitt's mohawk, and stays focused on important things like Maurice Jones-Drew's butt.
:rl:

It's like he's got the other half of my amulet.

Freakin' sweet about the possibility of trading down. This isn't one of those drafts where talent after #6 just drops off a cliff.

:rl:

It's like he's got the other half of my amulet.

Freakin' sweet about the possibility of trading down. This isn't one of those drafts where talent after #6 just drops off a cliff.

I'm soooo hoping we can get the two pick Dallas has.

I'm soooo hoping we can get the two pick Dallas has.

That would be perfect! Mainly because we get with the first one a DE like Groves, the second one we get an OL men like Gosder Cherilous. Then with our second round pick we can get James Hardy without worrying about not addresing the OL.

Make that trade with Dallas happen TANGINI!!!!!!!

That would be perfect! Mainly because we get with the first one a DE like Groves, the second one we get an OL men like Gosder Cherilous. Then with our second round pick we can get James Hardy without worrying about not addresing the OL.

Make that trade with Dallas happen TANGINI!!!!!!!

That would be amazing, but I'm not getting my hopes up haha. If we could move vilma for a 2nd rounder we could potentially have 4 picks in the late twenties and 30's, which could allow us to shore up many holes and even take a player a bit higher than expected if we fall in love with him. A groves/derrick harvey (i don't expect harvey to be there), Cherilus/Williams, Branden Albert, James Hardy/Limas Sweed, Dre Moore, Red Bryant if he gets that high or our 3rd. I know that's more than 4 players, but we could potentiall have 4 of them, pretty good haul for the top part of a draft.

That would be amazing, but I'm not getting my hopes up haha. If we could move vilma for a 2nd rounder we could potentially have 4 picks in the late twenties and 30's, which could allow us to shore up many holes and even take a player a bit higher than expected if we fall in love with him. A groves/derrick harvey (i don't expect harvey to be there), Cherilus/Williams, Branden Albert, James Hardy/Limas Sweed, Dre Moore, Red Bryant if he gets that high or our 3rd. I know that's more than 4 players, but we could potentiall have 4 of them, pretty good haul for the top part of a draft.

I agree guys. Don't forget about Rodger-Cromartie either. We could do a lot of great things with those picks.

It makes sense that people want to get ahead of the Pats since the Pats are likely to pick anyone there. So the unknown will drive up the price of the 6th pick, especially when we are on the clock.

Rumor has it that Barbers agent and the Cowboys had a meeting set up at the combine. If this is true and the Cowboys are genuinly interested in resigning Barber (which they should do), then dont get your hopes up.

I wouldn't get our hopes up, but not for the reasons you mentioned. Barber is best served in a two back system and dallas has said publicly that they have every intention of remaining in a two back system; the speedy mcfadden would be a perfect combination with the barbarian.

The reason I wouldn't get our hopes up is because it just seems to good to be true haha.

Rumor has it that Barbers agent and the Cowboys had a meeting set up at the combine. If this is true and the Cowboys are genuinly interested in resigning Barber (which they should do), then dont get your hopes up.

Someone be sure to show that to toon, where it says a whole lot of those NFL personel that he loves so much, thinks McFadden lacks the lower body strength needed in the NFL..much like a lot of people have been saying.

Huge smoke screens.. How could you believe anyhing right about now? Teams that want mcfadden will do whatever it takes to knock jis stock down so they can get him.. even go so far as to get teams to paick and trade out of the sixth pick for a bag of beans..

If the jets do trade out..theonly accpetable offer is the cowboys.. if we trade our first and get like 28th pick and get an extra second pick for swapping..that wouldnt be good enough..

I wouldn't get our hopes up, but not for the reasons you mentioned. Barber is best served in a two back system and dallas has said publicly that they have every intention of remaining in a two back system; the speedy mcfadden would be a perfect combination with the barbarian.

The reason I wouldn't get our hopes up is because it just seems to good to be true haha.

Right, but if they resign Barber they wouldn't have to move up to get Mcfadden. Instead they could keep their two picks and go after Mendehall or Stewart or someone like that to team up with Barber and draft another position of need as well.

Plus, we can get more players by trading down... But the question becomes, can we get anyone later that can make as big of an impact as someone available at 6?

Trading down is a little risky, because you never know who is going to be available.

Huge smoke screens.. How could you believe anyhing right about now? Teams that want mcfadden will do whatever it takes to knock jis stock down so they can get him.. even go so far as to get teams to paick and trade out of the sixth pick for a bag of beans..

If the jets do trade out..theonly accpetable offer is the cowboys.. if we trade our first and get like 28th pick and get an extra second pick for swapping..that wouldnt be good enough..

Or if we get a player and a teams late 1st or early 2nd rder...

Yes! you get it! Than if that's the case will you stop making 10 threads a day about the same players, when they could easily be smoke screens as well..or are they only smoke screens when it's negative about your boys and legit information when it's positive???

I've been saying this for awhile (I posted a mock where we took Merling and Cherilious with the Dallas picks - but now I think Merling will be gone). I'd rather have either Groves or Harvey and a top OL prospect going into the second round pick than just Gholston (or whomever). It gives the Jets the 'luxury' of filling a third need with a good prospect, Hardy or Dre Moore.

Trading for Rogers and drafting Moore would give the Jets a strong defensive front, with depth.

I've been saying this for awhile (I posted a mock where we took Merling and Cherilious with the Dallas picks - but now I think Merling will be gone). I'd rather have either Groves or Harvey and a top OL prospect going into the second round pick than just Gholston (or whomever). It gives the Jets the 'luxury' of filling a third need with a good prospect, Hardy or Dre Moore.

Trading for Rogers and drafting Moore would give the Jets a strong defensive front, with depth.

A bunch of good plans from lots of people here. With veterans we could use & have the cap room to accommodate (Rogers, Faneca, Adams, Pace, etc).

Why do I have this cold feeling deep down that we're going to see a front-3 on defense that looks like Ellis - Pouha/round-5 project - K.Coleman...and an offensive line of D'Brick - Faneca (turning into a bust) - Mangold - Moore - Bender? Then we'll sign Pace & he loses the starting job to Bowens.

A bunch of good plans from lots of people here. With veterans we could use & have the cap room to accommodate (Rogers, Faneca, Adams, Pace, etc).

Why do I have this cold feeling deep down that we're going to see a front-3 on defense that looks like Ellis - Pouha/round-5 project - K.Coleman...and an offensive line of D'Brick - Faneca (turning into a bust) - Mangold - Moore - Bender? Then we'll sign Pace & he loses the starting job to Bowens.

I may be naive but I think the Jets FO is smart (I know you disagree). I think they were fooled by 10-6 into thinking they were a player or two away from having a nice team, which is why they traded last year's draft for Harris and Revis, and merely tinkered in FA. Also, I think they just didnt like last year's draft. Anyway, they would be fools (idiots, really) if they fail to realize the Jets need an overhaul. They see what we see.

So (and this is the naive part), I cannot see the Jets skimping again on offensive line talent. I cant see Mangini putting his career on the line without getting horses to stop the run. It cannot have been fun for him to be ridiculed only one season removed from being Mangenious.

I expect wholesale changes. I dont expect many FA additions, one or two bigger names (maybe Pace and an offensive lineman plus a DL prospect/project like Kemoeatu), but I expect them to move Coles, Vilma and Pennington for picks and I expect them to move around alot on draft day to get the right pieces for the defense and the offensive line. I also expect them to amass alot of picks so they have reasonable depth across the board.

if they throw in a player that would be sweet also. Who would they likely give and what would you guys like to see???

I wouldn't mind Julius Jones. I think that like his brother he will develope anytime now. Dallas also can do without some of their young LB's. It would be a throw in for them - but for us they could start.

If its down to trading out of the sixth spot or selecting Vernon Gholston, the Jets need to strongly consider both. A trade down would be great, but would they be certain the players they target would be there and do they want to pass on the physical speciment and potential dominant 34 OLB that is Vernon Gholston? Should be interesting.

If its down to trading out of the sixth spot or selecting Vernon Gholston, the Jets need to strongly consider both. A trade down would be great, but would they be certain the players they target would be there and do they want to pass on the physical speciment and potential dominant 34 OLB that is Vernon Gholston? Should be interesting.

Trading down would net us two players (at the least). We happen to be high on Antoine Cason (who figures to be a late-first guy) and could use some OL help (obviously). We could potentially get a pass-rusher like Harvey or Groves AND Cason for the pick that would net us Gholston. Then with the top-o-the-second we get our OL guy.

I'd rather address one Offensive Line spot via Free Agency and the other in the 1st or 2nd round. I'm high on Quentin Groves, but he continues to fall. Derrick Harvey would be nice, but the question with him, as well as Chris Long, is can he stand up and play the 34 OLB role? As for Cason, I don't know if I'm comfortable with the team taking another Cornerback in the 1st round.

I'd rather address one Offensive Line spot via Free Agency and the other in the 1st or 2nd round. I'm high on Quentin Groves, but he continues to fall. Derrick Harvey would be nice, but the question with him, as well as Chris Long, is can he stand up and play the 34 OLB role? As for Cason, I don't know if I'm comfortable with the team taking another Cornerback in the 1st round.

No offense, but it's kinda Tangini's call... Supposedly they are high on Cason, now, if and where they take him depends on the way the cards fall. Getting an OG/OT in the draft doesn't mean the position will be neglected until late April.... It's just a really good year for lineman.

Trading down would net us two players (at the least). We happen to be high on Antoine Cason (who figures to be a late-first guy) and could use some OL help (obviously). We could potentially get a pass-rusher like Harvey or Groves AND Cason for the pick that would net us Gholston. Then with the top-o-the-second we get our OL guy.

Based on the trade 'chart' the Jets would get both of Dallas' first round picks, a third and approx a sixth round pick. That third round pick would be #92. The Jets would have six of the top 100 picks in a good draft.

I wouldn't mind Julius Jones. I think that like his brother he will develope anytime now. Dallas also can do without some of their young LB's. It would be a throw in for them - but for us they could start.

Julius Jones is a free agent. If want him they can sign him, but Dallas can't trade him here.

This kind of thing always sounds good, but because you are figuring that Harvey or Groves might fall, but the fact is that we will get the one that drops. Those guys drop for a reason. Look bad in drills, run bad, attitude. Not having the choice of the bunch is a big deal. It's not like you will get the same OLB prospect at 22 that you will at 6. Of course sometimes you can catch lightning like Marcus McNeil.

Based on the trade 'chart' the Jets would get both of Dallas' first round picks, a third and approx a sixth round pick. That third round pick would be #92. The Jets would have six of the top 100 picks in a good draft.

I starting to think that you can throw the trade chart out the window. I think the money is too big an issue these days and I think there will only be very mild sweetening of the two firsts if anything.

This kind of thing always sounds good, but because you are figuring that Harvey or Groves might fall, but the fact is that we will get the one that drops. Those guys drop for a reason. Look bad in drills, run bad, attitude. Not having the choice of the bunch is a big deal. It's not like you will get the same OLB prospect at 22 that you will at 6.

This is true, but you would be getting a better offensive line prospect at, say, #28 than you would at #36. And you would still have the #36 to get another starting calibre prospect.

I starting to think that you can throw the trade chart out the window. I think the money is too big an issue these days and I think there will only be very mild sweetening of the two firsts if anything.

This works in the Jets' favor. The cost of the sixth player is far less than the first player picked. So it pays for Dallas, or whomever, to wait it out a bit. And if Dallas wants the player then they are just as likely to overpay as underpay. In fact I would expect the team that wants the player to make a good offer rather than a lowball offer.

maybe even with added weight his arm and decision making still sucked..

Brennan actually doesn't have that weak an arm. It's his motion and style that made it look pretty pitiful at the combine. He looked very uncomfortable under centre and isn't at all used to NFL type dropbacks. It will take a big adjustment for him to make it in the NFL IMO.

Lets not get too excited. Dallas might part with their second 1st round pick to get Deangelo Hall. That'd actually be a great move for them if they could peal Jerry away from his McFadden poster and settle for another one of the outstanding RB prospects.

I read about this. I agree, too, its by far the better move.

This works in the Jets' favor. The cost of the sixth player is far less than the first player picked. So it pays for Dallas, or whomever, to wait it out a bit. And if Dallas wants the player then they are just as likely to overpay as underpay. In fact I would expect the team that wants the player to make a good offer rather than a lowball offer.

Not sure I follow. It may work in the Jets favor to make a deal, but it doesn't work in the Jets favor to get the two firsts, a third and a sixth. They are going to "overpay" us to save a few bucks when most of the top teams would love to trade down?

Archived