Leiter is good. But we need 1 more pitcher

Barton

Not just based on last nights start, but the Yankees should really inquire about the Mets TOM GLAVINE.

This guy he just knows how to pitch, he can potentially give us a solid 6-7 innings each time he takes the mound.

I wouldnt know what the Mets would want but I doubt they would really have the other team by the balls in negotiations.

Not just based on last nights start, but the Yankees should really inquire about the Mets TOM GLAVINE.

This guy he just knows how to pitch, he can potentially give us a solid 6-7 innings each time he takes the mound.

I wouldnt know what the Mets would want but I doubt they would really have the other team by the balls in negotiations.

Signing Leiter shows that every GM does have Cashman by the balls.

or that Redding and May arent going to cut it

desperate times call for desperate measures, I by no means have been pleased with Ca$hman over the last 5 years but he has no other choice than just acquire anybody who can start right now

desperate times call for desperate measures, I by no means have been pleased with Ca$hman over the last 5 years but he has no other choice than just acquire anybody who can start right now

???? :shock::shock:

Getting Leiter was a gift from the baseball gods

Bugg: No way do I give up eric duncan for glavine. that would be insane, I would flip out!

???? :shock::shock:

Getting Leiter was a gift from the baseball gods

Bugg: No way do I give up eric duncan for glavine. that would be insane, I would flip out!

Signing Leiter is the ultimate desperation move. You Yankee fans have no idea how bad he is about to destroy your bullpen. No idea.

cmon. Leither gives us, at least a better chance to win than frickin darrell may and tim redding, who have thrown like 5 innings in 2 starts combined.

Signing Leiter is the ultimate desperation move. You Yankee fans have no idea how bad he is about to destroy your bullpen. No idea.

cmon. Leither gives us, at least a better chance to win than frickin darrell may and tim redding, who have thrown like 5 innings in 2 starts combined.

Agree. The hope was that the Yanks catch lightening in a bottle with one of these guys.

May was strike one.

Redding strike two.

Leiter is the next "take a chance" guy as Cashman puts it.

There are better pitchers available but everyone is holding the Yanks over the barrel in negotiations.

Leiter is a low risk deal depending on who the player they give up is.

Agree. The hope was that the Yanks catch lightening in a bottle with one of these guys.

May was strike one.

Redding strike two.

Leiter is the next "take a chance" guy as Cashman puts it.

There are better pitchers available but everyone is holding the Yanks over the barrel in negotiations.

Leiter is a low risk deal depending on who the player they give up is.

How is it desperation when we're giving up virtually nothing to get him? Leiter costs a ton less than any other alternative. Of course, he's not as good, and he only throws 5-6 innings usually, but he's had success in his career every year except this year.

All that matters is he's more trustworthy than May and Redding combined. If he throws 5 innings, that's more than May and Redding combined.

How is it desperation when we're giving up virtually nothing to get him? Leiter costs a ton less than any other alternative. Of course, he's not as good, and he only throws 5-6 innings usually, but he's had success in his career every year except this year.

All that matters is he's more trustworthy than May and Redding combined. If he throws 5 innings, that's more than May and Redding combined.

Worse than the guy who took a shower during the first inning last night?

I don't love Leiter, either, but, as others have noted, it's desperation time.

I agree, Leiter is better than May, Redding or Henn, but what you're missing is this: Leiter is good enough to stay in the rotation all year, but will only get you 5 innings. That is not a good thing. Redding, May and Henn were not going to get 10-15 starts to ruin the middle relief. Leiter will. Good luck with that.

If Brown, Pavano and Wang make it back, Mr. Leiter will become a long reliever.

Forget Wang, Bob ... Wang is done for the season

Leiter will be in the rotation the rest of the way

BTW, don't be surprised if he does well ... he should get a ton of run support and he is not effected by NY

Kevin Kennedy said his control has been a problem, but his velocity has been fine ... that's a good sign because it means he is not throwing like an old man ... can still crank it up there

Kennedy really liked this addition for the Yankees ... I feel the same way

I just feel it should be mentioned that Leiter's ERA is 6.64 (And that's in the National League, you know, the "inferior one"). He has allowed 148 baserunners in 80 innings pitched.

How exactly is he better than May or Redding? Because his name is Al Leiter and he USED to be good?

I just feel it should be mentioned that Leiter's ERA is 6.64 (And that's in the National League, you know, the "inferior one"). He has allowed 148 baserunners in 80 innings pitched.

How exactly is he better than May or Redding? Because his name is Al Leiter and he USED to be good?

Redding's ERA was over 9 ... in the N.L. {Padres}

And after last night his ERA is in the double digits

Besides, Leiter is also a Pros Pro who is not effected by the spotlight ... THAT MATTERS when you pitch for the Yankees

Redding's ERA was over 9 ... in the N.L. {Padres}

And after last night his ERA is in the double digits

Besides, Leiter is also a Pros Pro who is not effected by the spotlight ... THAT MATTERS when you pitch for the Yankees

But how well will Leiter react to pitching in a Yankee playoff game, rather than announcing it?

But how well will Leiter react to pitching in a Yankee playoff game, rather than announcing it?

Won't faze him in the least .. he's pitched in a WS in NY, and pitched well .. also pitched in the WS for Toronto and Florida .. and I believe he's been a WS MVP?

From that respect he's a GREAT FIT for the Yankees .. better than most .. that's why I like the move

:shock:

A pros pro? Leiter us gutty and isn't afraid of the NY media or spotlight AT ALL, so I agree from that standpoint, but he is also a divisive clubhouse lawyer and 'anonymous source' whiner when things don't go his way. If Cano boots one ground ball on him, expect to see him ripped by 'a team source' in every paper the next day. I hate this signing for you guys. I really do.

Leiter was a gift from the baseball gods. He's a perfect fit for the Yankees.

I AGREE

I have a GOOD FEELING about this move ... I think he will EXCEED expectations with the Yankees, and maybe by a wide margin

I Just think it's a GREAT FIT ... and I also see this really lighting a fire in his belly ... if Al Leiter is anything, he's a ham ... he is going to love being back on the NY stage with a contender

If I was a betting man, I would bet his ERA will be in the 4's with the Yankees ... two runs lower than his current ERA ... at least

That's true Troll, but since the Yankees turned it around they have been scoring more runs ... they've probably been averaging close to 7 runs a game over the past few weeks

I agree with you on how the New York spotlight won't phase Leiter. My comment there was more of a crack on the Mets than it was on Leiter's ability to handle pressure. However, that WHIP of nearly 2 would scare the bejesus out of me if I were a Yankee fan. It just sounds like you guys are hoping that he comes back to New York and regains the old magic from his past, but this is a very different Al Leiter than he was in 1997. This is an Al Leiter that is in the later Kevin Brown stages of his career.

Archived