NEW FORCE OUT RULE WOULD SHRINK THE FIELD

TaborJet

NEW FORCE OUT RULE WOULD SHRINK THE FIELD

Posted by Mike Florio on March 30, 2008, 1:33 p.m.

The proposal to get rid of the rule that permits game officials to conclude that a player who has caught a pass would have come down in bounds if he had not been pushed out of bounds by a defensive player is aimed, we assume, at addressing the periodic controversy that arises when the officials apply apparently bad judgment to this so-called judgment call.

The Cleveland Browns, for example, might have qualified for the postseason if the officials had ruled correctly on a force-out call involving tight end Kellen Winslow in a late-season loss to the Cardinals.

So, in lieu of coming up with a better way to ensure that the officials get it right when trying to determine whether a player would have gotten both feet in bounds, the owners might decide to implement a rule requiring the player to get two feet in bounds, even if he is being pushed, shoved, or blasted while trying to do so.

As a practical matter, such a rule would make the field more narrow. And that would result in less points being scored.

Though it wouldn

[url=http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/03/30/new-force-out-rule-would-shrink-the-field/]Though this specific matter has been exempt from replay review because of its reliance upon judgment (i.e., speculation), we think that keeping the rule but allowing the officials to double-check the decision by video will ensure that the right decision is made.

that is a bullspit reason to not allow replays or force defenders to get 2 inbounds.

rule should be- not forced/touched- 2 feet in

forced/touched- 1 foot in

that would be much easier to rule on in replay b/c you can see if 1 foot is down and if contact is made.

I like the new rule. Besides, if you are carried out of bounds that is still considered a completed pass, from my reading of the rule. You just can't be shoved. There is plenty if interpretation there and leeway. It would really only apply to pure shoves most likely, not even an arm tackle.

Maybe QBs could throw with more precision, and WRs could stay further away from the sideline. Just an idea.

Also on Chad, this rule would change nothing. He would still get picked off.

There is no force out rule in college (although you only need to get one feet in bounds).

It is an incredibly subjective call, and one that needs to be taken out of the officials hands. And it is an impossible play to make in replay, unless you include studies of teh laws of physics.

Make the play, make it in bounds. I am all for it.

Archived