Yankee Stadium Memorial

uart

Here's a list of some of my memories:

1) Watching a guy get ejected for throwing a pretzel at Roberto Alomar (great aim, but he had the arm strength of Chad Pennington).

2) 1996 World Series, Game 1 (Yanks lost, but I was a kid at the World Series, so it was pretty special)1.jpg

3) 1998 World Series, Game 1 ( Yankees Win! Sammy Sosa, pre-cork, throws the first pitch and I had seats in the same row as him).

72474194.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193875DCB1DD8387ABB70A9809ECA42D0C5A40A659CEC4C8CB6

Here's a list of some of my memories:

1) Watching a guy get ejected for throwing a pretzel at Roberto Alomar (great aim, but he had the arm strength of Chad Pennington).

2) 1996 World Series, Game 1 (Yanks lost, but I was a kid at the World Series, so it was pretty special)1.jpg

3) 1998 World Series, Game 1 ( Yankees Win! Sammy Sosa, pre-cork, throws the first pitch and I had seats in the same row as him).

72474194.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193875DCB1DD8387ABB70A9809ECA42D0C5A40A659CEC4C8CB6

Cool man. Very cool. I still cant believe they are going to knock down Yankee Stadium.

Cool man. Very cool. I still cant believe they are going to knock down Yankee Stadium.

I can't believe it either. The Yankees are all about tradition. The Stadium has always been a symbol of the franchise. The new place won't be the same.

I guess my dream of one day having kids and bringing them to Yankee Stadium isn't going to happen.

The Stadium has always been a symbol of the franchiseThe new place won't be the same.

I agree. The new place is going to be nothing close to the Stadium. Where else can Yankee fans sing about gayness?

Being there? Well, for my first Yankee game I went to a Yankees-Rangers game on my birthday and it was amazing. I sat through an hour and a half rain delay in my seat when everyone else was under the tunnel because well, I was a 10 year old idiot. They eventually resumed play and the Yankees won. I've yet to go to a Yankees game where they did not win. 9-0.

As for watching them from 1995-present? Even with the four World Series titles, I've got to say the Aaron Boone moment is my favorite of all time.

4. Gane 3, 1976 World Series vs. Reds, -Bombers got crushed, but I was a little kid. Got pushed out of the way for Joe Dimaggio's entrance. It's was freaking COLD!

3. 1998 ALCS clincher game 6 vs. the Indians- good game. Cone tired and gave up a mammoth homer to THome, the hardest hit ball I've ever seen. Still, Mendoza came in and carried the day.

2. 2003 ALCS game 7 vs. Sawx-unbelievable.Sawx fans were strutting around for 7 innings thinking they finally had won it. I was in the upper deck in left field, so I couldn't see Boone's shot after it went underneath the upper deck, just knew from the crowd reaction it was out.

1. Game 6, 1996 World Series vs. Braves-nothing better than seeing your team clinch it all.

Worst-2003 Game 6 World Series vs. Marlins-didn't seem real. Just totally sucked.

- I was at the rubber game of the Yanks/Mets first subway series in 1997. Really intense game. A game the Yankees really had to win or we never would have hear the end of it losing a series to that pathetic Mets team. We won in extra innings. Great game. Lot of hostile back and forth between the Yanks and Mets fans

- The Roger/Pedro regular season dual in 2000. Both pitchers were awesome that night.

Other than that I havent been to any other notable games, unless you want to consider Clemens hitting Piazza in the head notable, I was at that one too.

I've yet to go to a Yankees game where they did not win. 9-0.

I hadn't been to a Yankee loss since 1996 (at home OR away) when I saw them lose last summer to the Red Sox :(

It was still worth the experience.

Prior to that, I had been to two games where the Yankees lost in 1995, I think. Maybe one of them was in '94, I was a young'un, so pardon my confusion.

I agree. The new place is going to be nothing close to the Stadium. Where else can Yankee fans sing about gayness?

Wow these gay antics really seem to have you conflicted.

I'm just saying.

I'll never forget my first trip there in 1976, when I was a kid.

I sat in loge level seats next to the press box on oldtimer's day a couple years later when they announced that Billy Martin was coming back. Later, during the regular game, I saw Billy, Mickey Mantle and Whitey Ford through a glass door. They waved to us, but wouldn't come out.

I was there with my Dad and my brother on Phil Rizzuto day, when Tom Seaver got his 300th win for the White Sox.

I took my kids to their first game on Ron Guidry Day. I enjoyed telling hem about Guidry and how great he was when I was a teenager.

The JetNation trip was fun, more memorable for getting together with folks from here than for anything else about the day.

My daughter is in the bleachers as I write this, on a school trip.

I'm not mourning the old stadium. They gutted all the history out of the place during the renovation in the early '70s. Ruth and Gherig would not recognize today's stadium as the place where they played. The new stadium is going to look more like the original than this one does. I can't wait to go there.

I'm not mourning the old stadium. They gutted all the history out of the place during the renovation in the early '70s. Ruth and Gherig would not recognize today's stadium as the place where they played. The new stadium is going to look more like the original than this one does. I can't wait to go there.

I don't think they gutted the history. They changed the look, but that field was still the location of all of the great Yankee history and tradition. Not to mention the Yankees that I grew up with played there.

Next year we'll have to hope that we can start collecting some new history and tradition in the House that Jeter Built, but I'm not looking forward to the demo-team pushing that plunger.

BTW, since they're going to auction off as much of the stadium as possible... does anyone here want to chip in and buy the frieze?

I'll never forget my first trip there in 1976, when I was a kid.

I sat in loge level seats next to the press box on oldtimer's day a couple years later when they announced that Billy Martin was coming back. Later, during the regular game, I saw Billy, Mickey Mantle and Whitey Ford through a glass door. They waved to us, but wouldn't come out.

I was there with my Dad and my brother on Phil Rizzuto day, when Tom Seaver got his 300th win for the White Sox.

I took my kids to their first game on Ron Guidry Day. I enjoyed telling hem about Guidry and how great he was when I was a teenager.

The JetNation trip was fun, more memorable for getting together with folks from here than for anything else about the day.

My daughter is in the bleachers as I write this, on a school trip.

I went to a few games as a tyke. It's a fuzzy memory, but I can recall by the early 1970s is was old and decrepit and dirty. And in the 1970s around Yankee Stadium was a scary place. And consider most of the time I was with either my dad or an unlce who were both armed cops, that palpable sense of fear is still vivid. Recall also the jets one year played an preseason game there against the Raiders and there was a riot outside with car tires being slashed.

I went to a few games as a tyke. It's a fuzzy memory, but I can recall by the early 1970s is was old and decrepit and dirty. And in the 1970s around Yankee Stadium was a scary place. And consider most of the time I was with either my dad or an unlce who were both armed cops, that palpable sense of fear is still vivid. Recall also the jets one year played an preseason game there against the Raiders and there was a riot outside with car tires being slashed.

What year was the riot at the Jet/Raider game?

I went to the stadium a lot starting in 1986. Saw a bunch of 2nd place finishes to the damn Blue Jays. Joe Carter I hate you. :) In the 1990's I had season tickets. I saw the Baby Bombers -- Leyritz and company and then the 2nd place finishes seemed like a distant memory because they were much worse.

So the best experience for me had to be in 1996. Went to every home playoff game that year except one I believe. See them win a game at home in '96 was incredible. People were just running around outside high fiving each other. (Seeing Mattingly in 95 was cool).

The had cops on horses. Yeah you see that all the time now. But realize this -- Yankee stadium wasn't an event back then. So I wasn't used to seeing sold out crowds.

In 1998 I went to several home playoff games and got to my first World Series game. We were there early and I remember a San Diego fan telling me how this was special for them. They don't have the winning history that we do. I kind of laughed because I was in my late 20's at the time and the Yankees had won in the late 70's and '96. The in between stuff wasn't so great.

Another great moment was the first Yankees - Mets World Series game. Went to the game where the guy on the Mets didn't run the bases hard and it cost them a run. Ah, good times!

1978 ALCS Game 3 against the Royals (it was a 5 game series back then) tied at 1 game each. the Royals are leading 2-1 in the bottom of the eight with Paul splittorf pitching a gem. he walks Roy White, man on 1st with Mr. Clutch Thurman Munson coming to bat. Whitey Herhog brings in Doug byrd to pitch to Munson :rl:. Munson has like a career .787 batting average against Byrd. the first pitch is launched over the old 430ft sign and one hops the white wall of the left center field bleachers. a tremendous home run (nobody hit them there back then). Rizzuto and Bill White were going nuts on Channel 11. the camera was shaking from the crowd going nuts. the Yankees won the game and went on to win the world series that year. but Munson was my favorite player as a kid, and that was one of the greatest moments I remember at Yankee stadium.

Only Yankee Stadium game I went to was bat day in 1973.

At the tender age of 10, I experienced first hand how diminished a game of baseball could be with a "designated hitter". ;)

I was at the Yankees vs A's bat day in 1974, at Shea stadium. :smilies2_puke:

I could probably list about 100 but here are a few.

1973: Grandparents take little 306 to his first game. Yanks get bombed by the Bosox.

1975 T-Shirt day against the A's. They run out of shirts, little 306 cries.

1977 A somewhat older and more mature 11 year old 306 gets to see the Yanks get bomed by Texas. Rangers hit back to back inside the park homers in that one.

1986: Discover the Joys of Section 39.

1988: Opening day in the bleachers against the defending World Champion Twins. Rafael Santana hits into a Triple Play but the Yanks win.

1988: Probably one of the funnest games. Early September against the Tigers. I bring a small TV so my buddy can watch the Giants play the Niners. The game goes 16 or 17 innings. I end up watching the Jets smash the Browns as well that day and it all ends with a Claudell Washington homerun. Yanks win and get about as close to first place as they would get the rest of the year.

1996: Got sit in the bleachers for Game 6. My buddy who has gotten tickets to just about every playoff game and World Series game in the Bronx offered me tickets to game 1 but I couldn't go because it was on my Mom's birthday. Decided to go to game 6 instead. Nice choice on my part.

Wow, back to back inside th eparkers-I can't say I have ever seen that, and certainly not at a game I attended.

Very nice.

I could probably list about 100 but here are a few.

1973: Grandparents take little 306 to his first game. Yanks get bombed by the Bosox.

1975 T-Shirt day against the A's. They run out of shirts, little 306 cries.

1977 A somewhat older and more mature 11 year old 306 gets to see the Yanks get bomed by Texas. Rangers hit back to back inside the park homers in that one.

1986: Discover the Joys of Section 39.

1988: Opening day in the bleachers against the defending World Champion Twins. Rafael Santana hits into a Triple Play but the Yanks win.

1988: Probably one of the funnest games. Early September against the Tigers. I bring a small TV so my buddy can watch the Giants play the Niners. The game goes 16 or 17 innings. I end up watching the Jets smash the Browns as well that day and it all ends with a Claudell Washington homerun. Yanks win and get about as close to first place as they would get the rest of the year.

1996: Got sit in the bleachers for Game 6. My buddy who has gotten tickets to just about every playoff game and World Series game in the Bronx offered me tickets to game 1 but I couldn't go because it was on my Mom's birthday. Decided to go to game 6 instead. Nice choice on my part.

Archived