The Media (NBA Finals)

Gainzo

dont get all upset yet. Everyone knows the real game doesnt start until the 4th quarter.

I know that but the Lakers aren't playing like they want to win. They are playing softer, playing without defense, too many turnovers. It's just not a way to win on the road in the NBA finals.

God Bless the Lakers! Hopefully they have a sick 2nd half.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And your point exactly ? Your a ****ing Knicks fan, your not even allowed to talk.

:rl: :rl: :rl:

Don't get your panties in a bunch because your team is having a piss poor performance.

I guess that this entire website shouldn't talk due to your logic. We should never be making fun of New England.

P.S. Ghost,

I'm rooting for ****ing LA!

I'll say this:

For once, the ball is finally bouncing in for Kobe here in the second half. Game 1 was a joke how the ball kept going in and out all night. Single digits once again now.

I'll admit, I never thought the Celtics would be winning by this much. Leon Powe is doing really great today, and Paul Pierce is just......making me speechless. If he doesn't get Finals MVP, then I'll stop watching basketball. He really wants it this year and he's shown it this playoffs. First with the 41 points versus Lebron, then coming back from injury to score 15 points, and now an injured Pierce has 23 so far. By the end of his career, I believe that many could say that he is the greatest Celtic to ever play the game.

I'll admit, I never thought the Celtics would be winning by this much. Leon Powe is doing really great today, and Paul Pierce is just......making me speechless. If he doesn't get Finals MVP, then I'll stop watching basketball. He really wants it this year and he's shown it this playoffs. First with the 41 points versus Lebron, then coming back from injury to score 15 points, and now an injured Pierce has 23 so far. By the end of his career, I believe that many could say that he is the greatest Celtic to ever play the game.

:rl: What a truly stupid statement

I never said he was. I said one day, at the end of his career, he could be.

It's a stupid statement and truly shows how little you know about basketball history. Celtic history to be exact. When'd you start following hoop? February?

:rl: :rl: :rl:

Don't get your panties in a bunch because your team is having a piss poor performance.

I guess that this entire website shouldn't talk due to your logic. We should never be making fun of New England.

P.S. Ghost,

I'm rooting for ****ing LA!

I'm still not sweating it. The Lakers been down before, If the Heat can do it to the Mavs than the Lakers can do it to the Celtics. They too were down 0-2.

Not to mention the Celtics are terrible on the road, 3 straight games at Los Angeles can mean 3 wins in a row. The Lakers will then have to win 1 out of two.

To be honest with you, I missed that. I couldn't watch anymore.

WTF happened ? Lol

We were down 23 last time I checked.

I was tied up in a meeting and missed it too. I wish the games would start earlier but they want that $$ from the LA audience. Can't blame them there.

no tha bettter blow job givers are winnin

thats y yall always get tha horribe calls

Did you not watch Game 2 of the Lakers/Jazz series?

The Lakers had 43 foul shots, the Jazz had 16. I don't recall you mentioning that the Lakers were giving out bj's to the refs after that game :P

BTW: Kobe took 96 free throws in that series. An average of 19 a game.

No need to worry. I can pretty much guarantee that Kobe will take at least 20 free throws tomorrow night.

Did you not watch Game 2 of the Lakers/Jazz series?

The Lakers had 43 foul shots, the Jazz had 16. I don't recall you mentioning that the Lakers were giving out bj's to the refs after that game :P

BTW: Kobe took 96 free throws in that series. An average of 19 a game.

No need to worry. I can pretty much guarantee that Kobe will take at least 20 free throws tomorrow night.

did u see tha calls jazz got in game 3 and 4

it aint as bad as them fixin tha nba finals

tim donnagee still doin business 34nh3ip.jpg

did u see tha calls jazz got in game 3 and 4

it aint as bad as them fixin tha nba finals

tim donnagee still doin business 34nh3ip.jpg

The Jazz went 20-28 from the line in Game 3. The Lakers went 30-37.

In Game 4 the Jazz went 37-45 while the Lakers went 14-25.

The Jazz had more than 30 FT attempts in only 2 games (30 in Game 1, 45 in Game 4). The Lakers had more than 30 FT attempts in 5 games and had 3 games where they took 40+.

It's all about home court. It's as if the ref's are afraid of the home crowd or something. I suspect the roles will be reversed in LA. If the Celts can manage to "steal" one in LA....well, that would be a good thing for the good guys and those of us that cheer them on. :)

That's not true.

yes it is. The Celts had a 22 point lead to end the 3rd quarter. Then it was down to 2 points with :22 seconds left.

In what other sport do you have a dominant lead disappear so quickly? And its not like this is rare, it is a common occurrence in pro basketball. And you dont see it in college b-ball anywhere near as much as the NBA.

All I needed to do was wake up at midnight to watch the last 5 minutes.

yes it is. The Celts had a 22 point lead to end the 3rd quarter. Then it was down to 2 points with :22 seconds left.

In what other sport do you have a dominant lead disappear so quickly? And its not like this is rare, it is a common occurrence in pro basketball. And you dont see it in college b-ball anywhere near as much as the NBA.

All I needed to do was wake up at midnight to watch the last 5 minutes.

Doesn't this go both ways ? If the Lakers were able to dominate just like the Celtics in the first 3 QTRs then the Lakers would of won easily.

Doesn't this go both ways ? If the Lakers were able to dominate just like the Celtics in the first 3 QTRs then the Lakers would of won easily.

Question for you Ghost. When watching Lakers games at the Staples Center I can't see the crowd, apart from the 1st few rows. Why do the Lakers dim the lights on the crowd?

It's the only place I have ever seen that and it drives me nuts.

Question for you Ghost. When watching Lakers games at the Staples Center I can't see the crowd, apart from the 1st few rows. Why do the Lakers dim the lights on the crowd?

It's the only place I have ever seen that and it drives me nuts.

Our owner Buss said he wants a more dramatic look. So he introduced this method called 'lights out.'

Good question tho.

it doesnt matter who dominates for 3 quarters... it somehow becomes a game again with 5 minutes left.

Its like a nascar race. only 2 laps matter, the first and last. Sure I love watching all 500 laps, but only 2 matter. The NBA comes down to the last 5 min. the previous 43 minutes just werent that important.

and this isnt a new idea. this has been said about the NBA for years.

Celtics fans take story about Pierce personally.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-plaschke8-2008jun08,1,5498328,print.column

June 8, 2008

BOSTON -- "You're a moron."

Of the thousands of words that have filled my e-mail inbox in the last two days, those were three of the nicest.

"I hope to God you are punished in some way, shape or form."

Oh, I've been punished, all right.

In the wake of Friday's column accusing the Boston Celtics' Paul Pierce of milking his knee injury like a professional wrestler, I've been subjected to hundreds of e-mails whose cheap personal attacks would be an insult to professional wrestling.

"You disgust me. You are a whore."

Virtually all the vile missives were from angry Celtics fans, who weren't content to enjoy their team's opening victory in the NBA Finals against the Lakers.

They felt as if someone were threatening their hero, so they rushed to his defense. They didn't agree with the message, so they attacked the messenger.

For every smart e-mail challenging my opinion, there was an angry e-mail ripping me personally.

"Die, you lily-livered ass."

Are we in Boston or Deadwood?

"I wonder how many dried-up spit stains you've got on that cheap tie of yours, you stuttering, stammering slob."

C'mon, I don't wear cheap ties.

In my dozen years as a columnist here, I have written many critical articles about Los Angeles teams, and received loads of critical e-mails, so many that I sometimes wondered whether I had actually changed my name to Kobe Hater or Trojan Boy.

But never have these e-mails been so personal. Never have they been so nasty.

Southern Californians may sometimes have disliked my words, but they've never threatened my health.

"You better have extra security with you Sunday because Celtic fans who recognize you from ESPN will want to take a slap at you, and if I were there, I know I would."

Of all the humanity-questioning notes, the most disturbing was apparent from a subject line that contained three words that could not be printed in this newspaper.

Then the writer really got mad.

"I hope you . . . get cancer and die," he wrote. "Why don't you just die or quit, you ugly fat (bleep). I'm going to find out where (a relative) is buried and me and my buddies are gonna dig (the) skeleton up."

At first, I was angry that someone could react with such hate to a story of such frivolity. I don't write about wars, I write about games.

I was angry, then curious.

Where does this come from? Is this a New England thing? Is it an anti-Lakers thing?

Is the romantic Lakers-Celtics rivalry actually a product of this dark underbelly?

Against all common sense, I tracked down the guy who wrote me the e-mail about cancer and skeletons.

I can't believe he agreed to speak to me, but he e-mailed his phone number immediately.

His name is John Marsinelli. He is 31-year-old baker from Cambridge.

He said for nine months of the year, the Celtics are his life.

"There's not much else to do around here during that time, either it's too cold or to hot," he said.

He awakens every morning at 4:30, arrives at his supermarket bakery by 6, and returns to his apartment and the Celtics.

For the home games, he has a balcony season ticket. For the road games, he has a TV and an empty family room.

"I can't watch the games with anyone else," he said. "From pregame to postgame, I watch by myself. I scream at the TV. I throw my hat down."

And then you send horrible e-mails to guys like me?

"I was just venting," he said. "I don't know you personally, I was aggravated about a lot of other stuff in my life, I just got mad."

I wanted him to apologize.

I stretched out the phone conversation waiting for an apology.

He would not.

It was as if, somewhere in his Celtics soul, he could not.

He hung up the phone, then sent me another e-mail with a pleasant request to mail him two copies of this story to his home address.

Nothing personal. Just Celtics. Very scary.

For fairness' sake, I contacted a Celtics fan who had sent me an e-mail that was respectful in its disagreement.

His name is Josh Stevens, he's a 24-year-old computer worker from the Boston area, and he said he's not surprised by the wrath.

"I've heard Celtic stories for years from my father and my grandfather, now it's my generation's turn to experience the Celtic pride," he said. "For people my age, it's a Celtic resurgence, it's our passion."

In an age when an e-mail has no conscience and anonymity knows no fear, that passion can quickly get personal.

In doing so, both its strength and credibility are diminished.

For years, New England lived on an endearing reputation of being the most hard-luck sports region in the country.

With all the recent winning here, the place is no longer endearing, just hard.

Even a moron can figure that out.

Archived