Pat Kirwan - Faneca could be latest guard to have big impact on new team

BroadwayJ667

Sometimes it feels like everyone talks about left tackles on offense as if they are the only linemen that count. Ruben Brown has been to nine Pro Bowls but he's hardly in the conversation as a Hall of Fame candidate. Larry Allen struggles to keep up with Jonathan Ogden when I pose the question about who deserves to be a first-ballot Hall of Famer.

ry to run the ball when you lose an elite offensive guard. Try and protect the QB without a stud inside protecting the midline. Well, the question entering the 2008 season when it comes to offensive guards is actually a two-parter: How much will the Steelers miss Alan Faneca and how much improvement can the Jets expect to have with Faneca in their lineup?

To project the answer to these questions, I went back and looked at three elite guards who recently left their original teams and moved on for financial reasons. Larry Allen left the Cowboys after the 2005 season for the 49ers; Steve Hutchinson left the Seahawks for the Vikings after the 2005 season; and Eric Steinbach bolted from the Bengals after 2006 for division-rival Cleveland. The outcome of these three departures should be a good indicator of the impact Faneca will have in 2008.

It may also be a hint as to what the Giants have to consider with Chris Snee coming to the end of his contract in 2008.

In 2005, the last season Allen played for the Cowboys, Dallas ranked 13th as a rushing club in the NFL. In 2006, they remained the 13th-ranked rushing team and continued to rush the ball at 3.7 yards per carry. Not much of an impact on the Cowboys when they let Allen go -- but his impact on the 49ers offense was significant. The year before Allen arrived in the Bay Area, the 49ers were the 17th-ranked rushing team. Allen's first season saw the team jump all the way up to no. 6 rushing the football.

In 2005, the Seahawks were the no. 3 rushing team and most of the running plays were designed to follow Hutchinson. The year after he left for Minnesota, the Seahawks dropped to 14th and the rushing average dropped from 4.7 yards per carry to 4.0. Hutchinson's arrival in Minnesota in 2006 spiked the Vikings' running game, which was no. 27 before he got to there, to 16th in his first season at guard.

When Steinbach left the Bengals, they continued to be a below-average running team, but the Browns went from no. 31 in the league to 10th -- and Steinbach led the way on many of those plays.

The Steelers were the third-best rushing team with Faneca sealing the point of attack either as a pulling guard on plays to the right or drive blocking on runs to the left. Can the Steelers keep up their rich rushing tradition without Faneca? The Seahawks couldn't without Hutchinson and, like Pittsburgh, they were the third-ranked rushing team when their All Pro guard led the way.

It appears the Steelers will probably drop off. As for the Jets, they should expect their running game to jump from 19th to somewhere closer to 12th. Thomas Jones should have a lot more good-sized holes to run through with Faneca blocking the point of attack. The average jump in league ranking when the elite guards switched teams was 14 spots in the team ranking in the first year , so a Jets move of seven spots could be considered conservative.

-NFL.com

there's probably a reason Faneca's made 7 pro bowls - those who say the move is overrated are tripping, a great guard can make an NFL offense, and as we all saw last year a crap guard can break it.

Great examples. Our OL took a huge nosedive when we lost Kendall last year and he was hardly in the "elite" class. At least our FO seems to have learned from their mistake of a year ago. ::GoJets:

The question I have is if we kept Kendal for 1million last year and then a modest extension instead of 30 mil for Faneca how much worse off would we be?

Kendall was pretty much past it. He pulled well, but could not drive DT's off the los and his pass blocking was average to below.

Add to that the fact that Kendall never got along with any of his employers. He always started well, then his club house lawyer mentality would take over. He was cut by Arizona because the coaches got sick of his act.

All in all, Jets made right decision even though it cost them a couple of games last year.

Regardless of what some people say Faneca is far from finished, I watched a Hell of a lot of Pittsburgh gaes and he was by far and away their best lineman, not that the competition was all that great. I wanted this move all through last season and was so excited that it panned out. Cannot wait to see what he will do to improve our offense next season.

The realization of Fanaca's impact to most Jet fans will understandably have to be seen to be appreciated. That is because the Jets HAVE NEVER HAD A GREAT GUARD IN THEIR ENTIRE HISTORY!!!

This will be highly enjoyable.

Great examples. Our OL took a huge nosedive when we lost Kendall last year and he was hardly in the "elite" class. At least our FO seems to have learned from their mistake of a year ago. ::GoJets:

Looking at the stats. Jets ran for a better Yards per average last year 3.8, than they did in 2006 3.5 average.

There is no doubt Jets oline was better in 2006(more for the pass), but the question I have is Jets haven't been that good a run blocking Oline for a couple years now. Can One guy Alan Faneca transform this unit into a very good run blocking unit. I have my doubts, as D Brickshaw Ferguson suddenly going to be this dominating run blocker, because Faneca playing next to him. Is Thomas Jones a good enough running back to carry this running game?

I don't want to hear Thomas Jones ran for over 1000 yards last year behind a very bad oline. 1,000 Yards in a sixteen game schedule is not that hard to do.

I didn't count Damien woody. To me hes an unknown right now. First he only has played five games at RT, and he couldn't win a starting job on the Detriot Lions oline. Thats scary.

Can someone calm my fears and tell me how is this Jets running game going to be alot better in 2008.

Looking at the stats. Jets ran for a better Yards per average last year 3.8, than they did in 2006 3.5 average.

There is no doubt Jets oline was better in 2006(more for the pass), but the question I have is Jets haven't been that good a run blocking Oline for a couple years now. Can One guy Alan Faneca transform this unit into a very good run blocking unit. I have my doubts, as D Brickshaw Ferguson suddenly going to be this dominating run blocker, because Faneca playing next to him. Is Thomas Jones a good enough running back to carry this running game?

I don't want to hear Thomas Jones ran for over 1000 yards last year behind a very bad oline. 1,000 Yards in a sixteen game schedule is not that hard to do.

I didn't count Damien woody. To me hes an unknown right now. First he only has played five games at RT, and he couldn't win a starting job on the Detriot Lions oline. Thats scary.

Can someone calm my fears and tell me how is this Jets running game going to be alot better in 2008.

As good as Fanaca is, that is only part of the equation. He is replacing Adrien Clarke. That's going from a Ford Probe to a Ferrari. Woody is a solid pro. Compared to Anthony Clement, he is Art Shell. That and the fact that Callahan should be a tremendous upgrade over Tony Wise, particularly in helping D'Brick and Mangold improve, and there is good reason for optimism.

As good as Fanaca is, that is only part of the equation. He is replacing Adrien Clarke. That's going from a Ford Probe to a Ferrari. Woody is a solid pro. Compared to Anthony Clement, he is Art Shell. That and the fact that Callahan should be a tremendous upgrade over Tony Wise, particularly in helping D'Brick and Mangold improve, and there is good reason for optimism.

Lets not forget Mangold. He is going to be right next to a HOF guard and has already proven he can dominate a top three NT in Hampton with absolutely zero help on his left side.

Even if Woody isn't even a good RT he is an upgrade. Assuming he is flat out bad at RT he may be better than Moore at RG. If that is the case, i really don't know who would play RT for us this year.

In this entire equation, i do think Callahan is the straw the mixes the drink.

Bill Callahan is the new flavor of the month on the oLine. No one knows the impact hes going to have on the Oline. Last time we heard how Tony Wise was such a great hiring, and was going to make a big diffrence. Well that didn't last long.

Callahan for all the credit he was giving for the Raiders Oline, was never there Oline coach. HE was the eagles Oline coach from 1995- 1997

Alan Faneca was a no brainer and Jets had to sign this guy. He going to be a big time addition to the oline next year. With that said, I do worry about the identity of the oline. Are they a run blocking Oline or more suited to blocking for the pass.

Dbricksahw Ferguson better suited in pass protection, Faneca strength is in run block.

And Faneca:

Quote:But what jumps out is that there's enough blame to go around. No one on the Steelers offensive line excelled in pass blocking consistently all year. Even Faneca, the Jets' new multi-millionaire, has been more and more susceptible to sacks in recent years.

D Woody I don't buy if he can't play RT , he can be an upgrade at RG. HOw He couldn't win a starting Job on Detriot lions oline at RG.

Am I just a pessimist.

Archived