QB Simms May Be Close To Being Cut

ADVERTISEMENT

story.htm@Right?x

story.htm@Right2?x

story.htm@Position2?x

By ROY CUMMINGS

The Tampa Tribune

Published: June 20, 2008

TAMPA - Chris Simms may not have to wait much longer for the release he wants from the Bucs.

Armed with a league-issued mandate to reduce their roster to 80 players by the start of training camp, the Bucs already have begun the process of purging players.

Patrick Chukwurah, a reserve linebacker/defensive lineman and special teams player, was among the first to be let go Thursday.

Marquis Gunn, a first-year defensive lineman out of Auburn, also was released.

The Bucs will need to cut at least eight more players between now and the July 26 start of camp workouts. Whether Simms will be among those let go remains uncertain, but the chances have increased as a result of the mandate.

With rosters limited to 80 players - at least eight less than they were allowed to have in years past - teams are being forced to make difficult personnel decisions sooner than ever before.

One such decision to be made by the Bucs revolves around the number of quarterbacks the team will take to camp.

The Bucs had hoped to take five but the mandate may force them to take four.

"We're going to have to make some tough decisions," Coach Jon Gruden said. "When the rookies sign, they obviously have to have room on the roster to come to camp, so there are some tough decisions to make.

"And it's emotional for me, because maybe you haven't seen these guys out here in April, May and June, but they've been out here working hard. You'd like to afford them an opportunity to benefit from the hard work."

Chukwurah, who signed with the Bucs as a free agent in the spring of 2007, is coming off a season in which his workload was greatly limited by a shoulder injury.

Would LOVE to see us sign him if he is released. This would give us a few options:

Option 1:

Release / Trade Pennington at the end of the Preseason to the team (and it will happen because it happens every year) that loses their Starting Quarterback and wants a veteran replacment.

Option 2:

I.R. Erik Ainge and his bum pinky, either release or place Brett Ratliff once again on the PS and have Simms, Pennington and Clemens compete it out in Training Camp and those will be our 1-3 Quarterbacks.

I thought they drafted Ainge to be the 3rd guy, and Ratliff has impressed in mini camp (I know).

I think he should be considered, he has experience, and at this point, who knows with Chad and Kellen.

I doubt Tangini wants to go into the season without an experienced backup (Simms fits the bill as a former starter, he's tough (see spleen) and smart (has the pedigree).

If healthy, there's no reason he couldn't compete for the starting job.

Who knows.

5 Reasons Why the Jets should go after Chris SImms:

1) Chris Simms would do nicely with Coles, Cotchery, Baker, Leon and Keller to throw to plus our O-line is revamped and will give him protection.

2) He's more suited to a vertical offense than Gruden's west coast offense.

3) Wonderful bloodlines - his father played great here.

4) He has a better arm than Chad and is better at making reads than Clemens.

5) Jets have a history of resurrecting athletic QB's from Tampa Bay who were considered busts. (i.e. - Vinny Testaverde)

5) Jets have a history of resurrecting athletic QB's from Tampa Bay who were considered busts. (i.e. - Vinny Testaverde)

you really need one other QB to make that point valid.

are we gonna say that the raiders are great at reviving NE qbs because of Jim Plunkett

I dont think hes is any better than either of our QBs when hes 100%.

There is no way to judge Clemens vs. Simms yet, but in terms of Pennington or Simms in 2008, I think you'd be crazy to take Pennington. Simms is still young, has arm strength and was the victim of one freak injury and falling out of favor with the coaching staff. Pennington has just played worse and worse each year since his story book 12 game season six years ago.

There is no way to judge Clemens vs. Simms yet, but in terms of Pennington or Simms in 2008, I think you'd be crazy to take Pennington. Simms is still young, has arm strength and was the victim of one freak injury and falling out of favor with the coaching staff. Pennington has just played worse and worse each year since his story book 12 game season six years ago.

You're absolutely dead on with this assessment 124.

It's funny how people on this site think Kellen Clemens is the next Brett Favre even though he hasn't proven anything yet and has so far looked like crap but Chris Simms, a guy who's actually taken a team to the playoffs and is the son of arguably the most successful QB in the history of New York and is only 27 - no there's absolutely no chance he could ever be successful with the Jets.

you really need one other QB to make that point valid.

are we gonna say that the raiders are great at reviving NE qbs because of Jim Plunkett

Hey, if it happened once it could happen again. Besides, Simms reminds me of a young Vinny. Local product, big, young atheletic QB with a good arm who has gotten some bad breaks and probably just needs to be in the right situation.

This Jets team is the perfect situation for him. A lot of good receivers, improved O-line and a vertical downfield offense that suits him better than that West Coast crap Gruden had him playing in Tampa.

If Chris Simms is such a good player he wouldnt be getting cut by the Tampa Bay Bucs.

Is he an upgrade over Chad? Has to be.

Over Clemens? Unknown.

Is he worth a gamble? If he is, we better not wait until he is released and trade for him before another team swoops in and signs him. Im sure a conditional 4th/5th rounder would work.

Im not sold on Simms, but I am always looking for improvement.

Archived