Anyone here think the Packers and Favre are both complete idiots

gangreenman

I know, sorry in advance for the thread about Favre, lol, but I think this is an angle that hasn't been discussed much.

Seriously, teams arent upping the anty for Favre mostly because they know that the Packers don't want Favre, and Favre doesn't want to be a backup on the Packers. Therefore the Packers have much less leverage in negotiations.

So, instead of calling every possibly interested team, and instead of declaring publicly that Rodgers is going to be the starter and that they will not allow Favre to compete for the job...

Wouldn't it have made more sense if Thompson pulled Favre into his office and said, hey, here's the deal. We are going to start quietly shopping you to a few teams of interest to see what kind of return we can get. In the mean time, send in the letter of reinstatement and we'll tell the public that we're glad to have you back on the roster, and will give you a chance to earn back your spot. Your only job for the next week or so is to play along, pretend to be happy to be back. This way, it'll give us more leverage in the negotiations, which in all likeliness means that all sides will be happier in the end. Now, if you don't play along, we will bury you as the backup QB and keep you on through preseason until we get what we want for you... Obviously, THAT is a bad situation for EVERYBODY. So, if you want to be dealt relatively soon, I suggest you play along.

Thats how I would have played this out... What are your thoughts?

I know, sorry in advance for the thread about Favre, lol, but I think this is an angle that hasn't been discussed much.

Seriously, teams arent upping the anty for Favre mostly because they know that the Packers don't want Favre, and Favre doesn't want to be a backup on the Packers. Therefore the Packers have much less leverage in negotiations.

So, instead of calling every possibly interested team, and instead of declaring publicly that Rodgers is going to be the starter and that they will not allow Favre to compete for the job...

Wouldn't it have made more sense if Thompson pulled Favre into his office and said, hey, here's the deal. We are going to start quietly shopping you to a few teams of interest to see what kind of return we can get. In the mean time, send in the letter of reinstatement and we'll tell the public that we're glad to have you back on the roster, and will give you a chance to earn back your spot. Your only job for the next week or so is to play along, pretend to be happy to be back. This way, it'll give us more leverage in the negotiations, which in all likeliness means that all sides will be happier in the end. Now, if you don't play along, we will bury you as the backup QB and keep you on through preseason until we get what we want for you... Obviously, THAT is a bad situation for EVERYBODY. So, if you want to be dealt relatively soon, I suggest you play along.

I agree with you that they have played it badly. I would have let him come back and say the job is open for competition. Obviously they should want the best QB to play, but I think Favre's 12 million dollar salary is factoring in. Favre and the rest of the league know the Packers won't eat that salary for a backup and screw up their cap, so they have to release him. I don't think there is anything they can do about it.

I agree with you that they have played it badly. I would have let him come back and say the job is open for competition. Obviously they should want the best QB to play, but I think Favre's 12 million dollar salary is factoring in. Favre and the rest of the league know the Packers won't eat that salary for a backup and screw up their cap, so they have to release him. I don't think there is anything they can do about it.

Absolutely. They could've spun that cap thing for them. If they let him come back and pretended/said that they were allowing him to compete for the job...Well, its not a waste of 12 million if there's a realistic chance that he will be the starter.

If Favre did not a agree and they were forced to keep him, they could also keep him until the end of preseason and ditch him to the team with the best offer last-minute.

Why would Favee do that?

Why would Favee do that?

Isn't it obvious that he should want his new team to have to give up a 1st or 2nd round pick in the 2009 draft?

Once he's traded, he's not a Packer anymore. Why would he care how good of a deal the Packers get? Worst case scenario is he makes $12M to hold a clipboard if GB doesn't like the offers they get.

Favre has no incentive to help out Thompson.

Why would Favee do that?

Well...A trade would probably get done sooner. See, right now, the Packers want a high draft pick, but have absolutely ZERO leverage because everyone knows they want him off the roster. So, no team in their right minds is going to call up Thompson tomorrow and offer him anything near what he wants, because the alternative is that Favre is released (which probably wouldnt happen until RIGHT BEFORE the season) and the team can get him for nothing. On the other hand, if it seemed as if the Packers may be interested in keeping him should no deal work out, any seriously interested team wouldn't waste much time offering something in the ballpark of Thompson's desires...

Isn't it obvious that he should want his new team to have to give up a 1st or 2nd round pick in the 2009 draft?

Once he's traded, he's not a Packer anymore. Why would he care how good of a deal the Packers get? Worst case scenario is he makes $12M to hold a clipboard if GB doesn't like the offers they get.

Favre has no incentive to help out Thompson.

No but he needs Thompson to get what he wants....

Plus, Favre's goal is to get traded, the best way to get traded is to get a team to make an offer your current GM cant refuse. The best way to do that is by giving your current team leverage. Think about it...

No but he needs Thompson to get what he wants....

Plus, Favre's goal is to get traded, the best way to get traded is to get a team to make an offer your current GM cant refuse. The best way to do that is by giving your current team leverage. Think about it...

He's not getting what he wants no matter what. It seems clear that he wants to go to Minnesota. Or at least that he wants an outright release so he can go wherever he wants. No matter how good of a soldier he is for Thompson, that won't happen.

If he wants out, and wants out as fast as possible, the fastest route to getting that is to be the biggest pain in the ass he can be. GB isn't keeping a $12M backup QB who sounds off to the press on a daily basis for the whole season.

He's not getting what he wants no matter what. It seems clear that he wants to go to Minnesota. Or at least that he wants an outright release so he can go wherever he wants. No matter how good of a soldier he is for Thompson, that won't happen.

If he wants out, and wants out as fast as possible, the fastest route to getting that is to be the biggest pain in the ass he can be. GB isn't keeping a $12M backup QB who sounds off to the press on a daily basis for the whole season.

Thats not happening regardless though, as you said... So what's the point in crying over spilled milk?

He's not going to Minny, so give your GM something to work with so at least you can get out of town quicker and go to a team that really wants you.

Well...If the Packers contend that they are bringing him back to compete for the starting job, and are giving him at least some reps with the 1st team... What is Favre going to say? "No, thay're lying...Get me out of here?" That will just make him look stupid. If anything that would DECREASE his demand, lol.

They wouldnt keep him for the season either way, it also may have been a good idea to make an agreement that if no trade agreement is reached by X date, you will be released...IF you play the game with me. That date would be at the EARLIEST the day of the teams final preseason game.

Well...If the Packers contend that they are bringing him back to compete for the starting job, and are giving him at least some reps with the 1st team... What is Favre going to say? "No, thay're lying...Get me out of here?" That will just make him look stupid. If anything that would DECREASE his demand, lol.

They wouldnt keep him for the season either way, it also may have been a good idea to make an agreement that if no trade agreement is reached by X date, you will be released...IF you play the game with me. That date would be at the EARLIEST the day of the teams final preseason game.

That isn't happening. Thompson has already announced Rodgers is the starting QB. There will be no competition. They aren't contending "that they are bringing him back to compete for the starting job" in any way, shape, or form.

I get the feeling Thompson doesn't like Favre very much (and the feeling seems mutual). Or at a minimum Thompson doesn't like what may be outright disobedience in the huddle, where the play that ensues is not the play that was called in. While Thompson hasn't come out & said that - and it ain't going to help Green Bay trade Favre if he did - it's been more than hinted-at.

Even if it was the last day before final cutdowns, Favre would find a job with another team pretty easily if he was a FA. He has no incentive to try to get Green Bay the best deal possible, since the best deal possible may not come from the team(s) he wants to go to most anyway.

You have people here crying about splitting reps between Kellen and Chad and you want to manufacture a false QB controversy to try to get a better draft pick for Favre? **** that. First of all, why should the GM trust him? He can flip and say he's staying retired at any time and either way they'd be risking ****ing up with Rogers, the fans, the press and the lockerroom.

Your plan wouldn't be bad if both sides could work together, but Favre already ran to the press. You think he wants to be traded quickly, but I doubt he's all upset about missing two a days. It's not like he loves practice anyway. If he gets cut on the day they go to 53 how many weeks do you think it will it take for him to start over Tavaris Jackson?

Archived