Hank says Yankees are team to beat in '09

Blackout

The Yankees wont win another title until this current group is blown up.

The post 2000 method of trying to sign superstars at every position hasnt worked. The team is awful. Time for a new approach and finding a well balanced team that can hit with RISP.

No more going after the big name. The only big name guy I'd be comfortable signing is Manny because he will hit.

The team is as tight as a drum at the plate and are mentally weak. Its a mess.

It's probably Hanky Panky's way of taking pressure off of Girardi, since it was he who proclaimed "Girardi will be one of the all time greats"

Injuries have been a big problem for the Yankees but again, injury is part of the game, but no team is better equipped to deal with injuries better than the Yankees cash cow. I know a lot have been made of injuries and giving up on the season etc etc. If you actually take a look at their position players. They have $10 Mil+ players all over the place.

Arod- 28mil

Jeter-18 mil

Cano- 8-9 mil

Giambi 16 mil

I-Rod- not sure what is contract is but my guess is 10 mil+

Damon- 13 mil

Abreu- 15 mil

losing Wang and Joba is a big hit, but this team should be doing a lot better than it is.

The post 2000 method of trying to sign superstars at every position hasnt worked. The team is awful. Time for a new approach and finding a well balanced team that can hit with RISP.

No more going after the big name. The only big name guy I'd be comfortable signing is Manny because he will hit.

Joba-Wang can get us a title

sign K-rod to take over for Mo in future

I don't want the Yankees to sign K-Rod, besides why the hell would he want to be a set-up man? The Yankees have the right idea keep going with building your pen through your farm. Melancon will end up being Mo's set-up man.

The Yankees, all they really have to do is sign C.C. Sabathia, and make your choice between Mussina, and Pettitte, and you're basically set.

It's probably Hanky Panky's way of taking pressure off of Girardi, since it was he who proclaimed "Girardi will be one of the all time greats"

Injuries have been a big problem for the Yankees but again, injury is part of the game, but no team is better equipped to deal with injuries better than the Yankees cash cow. I know a lot have been made of injuries and giving up on the season etc etc. If you actually take a look at their position players. They have $10 Mil+ players all over the place.

Arod- 28mil

Jeter-18 mil

Cano- 8-9 mil

Giambi 16 mil

I-Rod- not sure what is contract is but my guess is 10 mil+

Damon- 13 mil

Abreu- 15 mil

losing Wang and Joba is a big hit, but this team should be doing a lot better than it is.

None of those players play like thats what they're getting paid. First of all, Alex Rodriguez may be the future Home Run king, but no player is worth about 30 million.

Jeter is a great ball player, but lets face it, he's not the best, maybe he is the most clutch, but no way is he an 18 million dollar player.

Cano? Are you serious? I have said enough about this guy today.

Giambi is a good guy, but lets face it, steroids made this guy, and now it's breaking this guy. He's having a solid year for him. Yeah .255 average is a good year for him? Is a .255 average worth 16 million? **** no.

I-Rod - hated the guy my whole life, still hate him. Don't want him brought back next year.

Damon - He's had a great year, and if anybody is earning their paycheck this year, it's him.

Abreu - Thank god, he'll be gone next year...

Ever hear the saying, you don't always get what you pay for. Well thats the case with the Yankees usually every year, but especially this year.

No team bats that much better or worse w/RISP than their normal average. You can't gear a team around a bunch of guys you think will hit just with RISP; it doesn't make sense. No matter how much many Yankee fans drool over the "clutchness" of inferior players like Scott Brosius, or, lately, Joe Crede, it doesn't change the fact that A-Rod is a million times better.

None of those players play like thats what they're getting paid. First of all, Alex Rodriguez may be the future Home Run king, but no player is worth about 30 million.

Jeter is a great ball player, but lets face it, he's not the best, maybe he is the most clutch, but no way is he an 18 million dollar player.

Cano? Are you serious? I have said enough about this guy today.

Giambi is a good guy, but lets face it, steroids made this guy, and now it's breaking this guy. He's having a solid year for him. Yeah .255 average is a good year for him? Is a .255 average worth 16 million? **** no.

I-Rod - hated the guy my whole life, still hate him. Don't want him brought back next year.

Damon - He's had a great year, and if anybody is earning their paycheck this year, it's him.

Abreu - Thank god, he'll be gone next year...

Ever hear the saying, you don't always get what you pay for. Well thats the case with the Yankees usually every year, but especially this year.

Exactly, payroll doesn't really matter. Especially in the Yankees sense, they're overpaying for a lot of guys in the latter years of big contracts (Giambi, Jeter, Mussina, Pettitte, Matsui, Abreu...NTM Pavano) who probably aren't worth what they're getting. If you want to talk payroll, off the top of my head, nearly half, or about $85-90 million, of players was on the DL for the Yankees this year. That's before you take out the players who are even more valuable, like Joba, Wang, and Hughes.

One thing though. Giambi is nearly deserving of his money. His .260 average doesn't really speak about his production because he has a .400 OBP and he carried the team for a long stretch.

Yes and No.

The problem is that in recent years Cashman hasn't focused enough on getting the right superstars. Specifically, superstar starting pitchers that are still young or in the prime of the career.

If the Yankees sign Sabathia and Texiera or Manny they will be back next year in a big way. We'll have Wang back, Sabathia, Joba for a full season as a starter and hopefully Mussina.

Plus, stick Texiera or Manny in at the #4 spot in the lineup and have A-Rod bat 3rd which is probably a better spot for him.

40 = 40

even Superman at age 40 loses his speed

Let me get this right.

A 39 year old relief pitcher will be done at 40, but a 39* year old NFL QB who has started 250+ games in a row still has plenty left in the tank?

You have some twisted logic dude.

*Favre will be 39 on October 10th.

Let me get this right.

A 39 year old relief pitcher will be done at 40, but a 39* year old NFL QB who has started 250+ games in a row still has plenty left in the tank?

You have some twisted logic dude.

*Favre will be 39 on October 10th.

favre was MVP runner up last year

mariano's playing a 6-7 month season BTW, not 4

Favre sucked in 2005 & 2006 and over his long career has averaged 34 attempts per game.

Mariano could go a week without throwing 34 pitches! Has Mariano ever had a bad season?

Mo's worst was probably last year.

3-4

30 Saves

71.1 IP

12 BB's

74 K's

3.15 ERA

The majority of relief pitchers don't have that as their best year... lol

Didn't this nut-rag say the yanks would be winners in '08 back last Nov? I dunno. He says a lot.

Yes he did. He is also a Jets/Giants fan as he has a team in each conference. I wonder if he is a Yankees/Mets fan as they are in different leagues?

Yes he did. He is also a Jets/Giants fan as he has a team in each conference. I wonder if he is a Yankees/Mets fan as they are in different leagues?

:rl:

That being said, I am so tired of watching the Yankee boxscore. This pathetic collection of overpaid assbags can't fire on all cylinders for any significant period of time. I could give 2 squirts anymore if they make it to the playoffs because i can already sense them laying a big fat egg in the first round. Funny because it's the 10 year anniversary of one of the best yankee teams ever. A collection of MEN who knew how to get it done when it counted.

Is there any way that if the Yankees are going to spend $100M+ this offseason they could do so by investing in a procedure which replaces A-Rod's heart with Paul O'Neill's?

****ing POTW. They should find the fountain of youth and Bring Paul, Bernie, Broscious and Tino back.

Consider the source of the comment. Some of these kids have only been alive to see the glory days of these teams. I saw the mediocre 80's and early 90's. It was a privelage to finally see the dynasty that was put together from 98-00.

I hear ya. I grew up watching the Yankees in the 80's in the Dave Winfield-years when they were terrible. My first year of following baseball and my team even having a winning season was 1993, my first playoffs was '95 when they lost to the M's.

I love hearing these Yankee-haters tell me I'm a frontrunner when my first 10 years of rooting for the team they were absolutely atrocious, had no pitching and I was forced to get excited about the Danny Tartabulls of the world. Nothing more brutal than enduring a season of watching starting pitching like Greg Cadaret and wondering if Brien Taylor and Sam Miletello will ever make it big.

A lot of these current Mets fans hopped on the Mets bandwagon in the mid-1980's with Strawberry and Gooden and the World Series. They probably would have hopped on the Yankees bandwagon in the late-90's (some of them did anyway) except it became even more trendy to hate the Yankees than root for them.

Archived