Trade Ratliff or lose Ainge? Feedback welcome

Bx Jet Fan

He has such poise and pocket awareness. And then the placement. Most of his passes are not interceptable, it's either going to be an incomplete or the reciever will come up with it, the defender has no chance on it.

There was this one play 2 weeks ago, the fade in the endzone, where people were saying it was a bad pass but I thought it was excellent. With a better WR it was a TD. I forgot the WR there, but I do not think he was lined up correctly, he did not give Ratty enough room to work with. But even so, if he had kept his feet in and caught it better, it woulda been a TD. Coles or Cotch would have pulled it in. That's just a great example of how good he is imo.

And then coming right back from an INT as you mention. Or how about that 1 minute drill, getting all the way down to the endzone and throwing what should have been a TD. You know, right before Nuge screwed it up. Again, that's moxy right there.

I love how he keeps hitting people in stride too. Obviously Favre does this as well. You nail someone 20 yards down the field in stride, and that could be a TD. Just that fast. That's how a lot of the top QBs in this league get their high TD totals. That's why Chad never throws TDs. How is it accurate when you can only hit a stationary target?

Great point, and dont forget the fact that the Jets should be 4-0 in this preseason because of Ratliff. Raymone dropped the game winning TD from Ratliff and then Nugent missed the FG to tie and we lost. Bottomline, Ratliff has put the Jets in more successful situations this preseason than did Clemens.

i can't believe we're considering trading Ratliff. , are they nuts?Until Ratliff stops playing like Joe Montana then we can speak about these things. Right now you hold onto him with both hands, are they nuts?

Where are you hearing that the Jets are considering trading him? I've only heard one line of speculation from Ray Lucas.

I was listening to Ray Lucas and some other talking head on ESPN 1050 after the game and they were talking about keeping 4 QB's or trading Ratliff for a low round draft choice. They were worried that if they cut Ainge to put him on the practice squad some other club might sign him, wasting the pick.

Now granted, I haven't seen a ton of Ainge, but everything I've seen of Ratliff so far I like. Even when the kid threw a pick, he came out his next series and drove for a score. The guy just seems to have "IT".

There is no way we are carrying four QB's on the roster so if the choice comes down to trading Ratliff or risk losing Ainge I would rather lose Ainge. Thoughts?

Lose Clemens.

Ok seriously, Ratliff has been impressive during this preseason and shows potential to be a good player in this league, but I'm still failing to comprehend why some are getting so excited about this kid. Its one thing to say you like what you've seen and think he deserves a shot at the starting job when Favre leaves, but its rediculous to annoint him our future franchise QB after playing well in 4 preseason games against 2nd/3rd stringers. Am I really seeing Dan Marino's name brought up in this discussion? Are we gonna compare a 3rd string QB, who wasn't even on the radar until this year, to a HOF QB? We won't even know much about how this kid projects until we see him in some real games against starters, but can we at least wait until he's in an actual competition or at least getting meaningful time against meaningful competition. These type of knee-jerk reactions are really aggervating sometimes.

This is what I take issue with. Who cares if we "wasted the pick" There are no awards for having the best draft or the most players drafted on the roster. Im sure after the draft they expected Ratliff to fall on his face and they could cut him, but he rose to the occasion.

We need the best players on this team, and if he's the 4th QB and we need the roster spot for another player, you cut him. If someone else claims him, oh well... We still have 2 other young QB's.

But no way in hell do you trade Ratliff. Unless you get a 4th rounder or better, you hold him. He's not ready to be a starter, so I doubt we would be offered anything of value.

I would not take a first for Ratliff at this point. He has developed too quickly and shown too much potential to give up on him. He could be a true FRANCHISE QB, and that is worth several first round picks. If Lucas suggested we trade Ratliff he is an idiot pure and simple.

I would not take a first for Ratliff at this point. He has developed too quickly and shown too much potential to give up on him. He could be a true FRANCHISE QB, and that is worth several first round picks. If Lucas suggested we trade Ratliff he is an idiot pure and simple.

If someone offers you a 1st for him, and you do not take it, you should be immediately fired on the spot.

Ok seriously, Ratliff has been impressive during this preseason and shows potential to be a good player in this league, but I'm still failing to comprehend why some are getting so excited about this kid. Its one thing to say you like what you've seen and think he deserves a shot at the starting job when Favre leaves, but its rediculous to annoint him our future franchise QB after playing well in 4 preseason games against 2nd/3rd stringers. Am I really seeing Dan Marino's name brought up in this discussion? Are we gonna compare a 3rd string QB, who wasn't even on the radar until this year, to a HOF QB? We won't even know much about how this kid projects until we see him in some real games against starters, but can we at least wait until he's in an actual competition or at least getting meaningful time against meaningful competition. These type of knee-jerk reactions are really aggervating sometimes.

No it's not, because if he was a first round draft pick everyone that is a fan of the jets, and all the media would be saying he was a future francshise QB. Ultimately what he did in pre-season was SPEACTACULAR. You cannot dismiss it because he did it against some 2nd and 3rd stringers, he was dominant just like a top level NFL player should be. He is likely the future QB of the Jets, yet some are willing to give up on him SOLELY because he is not a high draft pick. And Leinart may still start despite being a TERRIBLE QB just because he IS a first round draft pick. It is nonsense.

No it's not, because if he was a first round draft pick everyone that is a fan of the jets, and all the media would be saying he was a future francshise QB. Ultimately what he did in pre-season was SPEACTACULAR. You cannot dismiss it because he did it against some 2nd and 3rd stringers, he was dominant just like a top level NFL player should be. He is likely the future QB of the Jets, yet some are willing to give up on him SOLELY because he is not a high draft pick. And Leinart may still start despite being a TERRIBLE QB just because he IS a first round draft pick. It is nonsense.

Again, I don't understand how he is all of a sudden "likely our future QB." Playing well in the preseason doesn't always correlate to success in regular games and it wasn't even with the first team. What does he do when he's not seeing vanilla defenses, when he's not going against backups, when he has the spotlight on him, etc.? I have seen flashes and good potential that leads me to think he can be a good QB but nothing near definitive as some of you are acting. And just because people gush over 1st round picks in preseason doesn't make that right either. Regardless of where he was drafted it doesn't make sense to call someone the franchise because they do things in preseason. I'd like to see what he does in a real game situation then we'll talk. I just can't see the logic in annointing someone after 4 exhibition games.

My problem is not that people like the potential he's shown, but that they're acting like he's the no brainer future of the franchise because he's done well against backups.

Again, I don't understand how he is all of a sudden "likely our future QB." Playing well in the preseason doesn't always correlate to success in regular games and it wasn't even with the first team. What does he do when he's not seeing vanilla defenses, when he's not going against backups, when he has the spotlight on him, etc.? I have seen flashes and good potential that leads me to think he can be a good QB but nothing near definitive as some of you are acting. And just because people gush over 1st round picks in preseason doesn't make that right either. Regardless of where he was drafted it doesn't make sense to call someone the franchise because they do things in preseason. I'd like to see what he does in a real game situation then we'll talk. I just can't see the logic in annointing someone after 4 exhibition games.

My problem is not that people like the potential he's shown, but that they're acting like he's the no brainer future of the franchise because he's done well against backups.

Playing well in preseason is the reason why we have preseason to audition for the real deal. Ratliff is the real deal he makes Clemens look like chopped liver and a wasted 2nd round pick.Any fool with any knowledge of football can see this.If not then spend your Sundays at flea markes instead of following the NYJETS and the NFL.

Playing well in preseason is the reason why we have preseason to audition for the real deal. Ratliff is the real deal he makes Clemens look like chopped liver and a wasted 2nd round pick.Any fool with any knowledge of football can see this.If not then spend your Sundays at flea markes instead of following the NYJETS and the NFL.

Are you really attacking my football knowledge based on my questioning how Ratliff is all of a sudden a franchise QB? If so you're not making yourself look too intelligent.

You wanna know who was top 5 in passing yards in preseason last year for 3 out of 4 weeks? J.T. O'Sullivan. Is he a franchise QB? That was just a quick check and I could probably find more examples of preseason wonders who you wouldn't want to build a team around, but I really don't wanna research something like this in depth.

Again let me make this clear for those who can't comprehend. Nowhere did I say Ratliff hasn't looked promising. I was simply questioning the logic in annointing him the savior based on 4 preseason games against backups. I really didn't think my point was that crazy.

Signing Farve has had some unintended repercussions. It seems we are going to carry five TE's rather than cut Franks because he is Farves Offensive Lingo translator as well as his security blanket. We are going to keep 4 QB's because the FO won't risk losing Ainge. I don't think anyone expected Ratliff to perform at this level or we never would have drafted Ainge.

I would prefer to try and trade Ainge at this point for a 5th rounder this year but I don't think the front office would admit they made a mistake-even though it wasn"t because nobody could have predicted Ratliff's performance. When Farve calls it a career this year or next we will still carry 3 QB's, I say keep Ratliff and Clemens and sign some grizzled vet.

This is already impacting our teams depth.

Are you really attacking my football knowledge based on my questioning how Ratliff is all of a sudden a franchise QB? If so you're not making yourself look too intelligent.

You wanna know who was top 5 in passing yards in preseason last year for 3 out of 4 weeks? J.T. O'Sullivan. Is he a franchise QB? That was just a quick check and I could probably find more examples of preseason wonders who you wouldn't want to build a team around, but I really don't wanna research something like this in depth.

Again let me make this clear for those who can't comprehend. Nowhere did I say Ratliff hasn't looked promising. I was simply questioning the logic in annointing him the savior based on 4 preseason games against backups. I really didn't think my point was that crazy.

its not crazy at all. i don't understand it either.

If someone offers you a 1st for him, and you do not take it, you should be immediately fired on the spot.

Why? There is nothing to suggest at this point that a first round pick would give you a better player than Ratliff would be. Nothing. Half of the first rounders bust out. People get so enamored with trading good players for picks and sometimes it makes no sense. Trading Ratliff for a 1 at this point with the potential he has shown and the incredible improvement over the last year would be idiotic.

I was listening to Ray Lucas and some other talking head on ESPN 1050 after the game and they were talking about keeping 4 QB's or trading Ratliff for a low round draft choice. They were worried that if they cut Ainge to put him on the practice squad some other club might sign him, wasting the pick.

Now granted, I haven't seen a ton of Ainge, but everything I've seen of Ratliff so far I like. Even when the kid threw a pick, he came out his next series and drove for a score. The guy just seems to have "IT".

There is no way we are carrying four QB's on the roster so if the choice comes down to trading Ratliff or risk losing Ainge I would rather lose Ainge. Thoughts?

There is not anyway I want us to trade Ratliff....if we trade KC that leaves us with to newbies behind BF...and he could bail at anytime...like after 1 year...

Archived