Trade Ratliff or lose Ainge? Feedback welcome

Bx Jet Fan

I was listening to Ray Lucas and some other talking head on ESPN 1050 after the game and they were talking about keeping 4 QB's or trading Ratliff for a low round draft choice. They were worried that if they cut Ainge to put him on the practice squad some other club might sign him, wasting the pick.

Now granted, I haven't seen a ton of Ainge, but everything I've seen of Ratliff so far I like. Even when the kid threw a pick, he came out his next series and drove for a score. The guy just seems to have "IT".

There is no way we are carrying four QB's on the roster so if the choice comes down to trading Ratliff or risk losing Ainge I would rather lose Ainge. Thoughts?

i wouldn't be surprised to see them keep 4 QBs. favre may be a one (season) and done deal, which would leave the jets shorthanded at QB next offseason. by keeping all four, they lock-up 2 QBs who have a firm grasp of the offense (ratliff & clemens) and the pet project in case the first two options implode. barrett @ safety? stuckey @ CB?!? those moves suggest the CS and FO are trying to maximize the versatility of the roster, maybe to "create" another roster spot for a 4th QB...? it wouldn't be that far-fetched. clemens and ainge are draft picks, so to move one of them only to draft a QB again next offseason is counterproductive; neither of them are going anywhere this season. ratliff might be a find and the organization is anxious to see if he can continue to make huge strides, so you know he's probably not going anywhere either. that leaves favre and his year-long tour, two years if we're lucky. in the end, it kinda makes sense to keep the four of them. it may take an extra roster spot now, but it saves us a draft pick/FA signing later.

I was listening to Ray Lucas and some other talking head on ESPN 1050 after the game and they were talking about keeping 4 QB's or trading Ratliff for a low round draft choice. They were worried that if they cut Ainge to put him on the practice squad some other club might sign him, wasting the pick.

Now granted, I haven't seen a ton of Ainge, but everything I've seen of Ratliff so far I like. Even when the kid threw a pick, he came out his next series and drove for a score. The guy just seems to have "IT".

There is no way we are carrying four QB's on the roster so if the choice comes down to trading Ratliff or risk losing Ainge I would rather lose Ainge. Thoughts?

CUT Bubba Franks and keep Ainge! I think that we would be better off developing ALL our young QBs. Why keep a hold the fort type of TE with bad hands?

They were worried that if they cut Ainge to put him on the practice squad some other club might sign him, wasting the pick.

This is what I take issue with. Who cares if we "wasted the pick" There are no awards for having the best draft or the most players drafted on the roster. Im sure after the draft they expected Ratliff to fall on his face and they could cut him, but he rose to the occasion.

We need the best players on this team, and if he's the 4th QB and we need the roster spot for another player, you cut him. If someone else claims him, oh well... We still have 2 other young QB's.

But no way in hell do you trade Ratliff. Unless you get a 4th rounder or better, you hold him. He's not ready to be a starter, so I doubt we would be offered anything of value.

Fairly successful QB in the SEC, you never know....

Another team would have to decide that he's worth a roster spot. That Ainge is so good, they're better off dropping a QB who's been with them since the spring and rolling the dice with Eric. That Ainge is a better QB option than Daunte Culpepper, or Chris Simms, or whatever veteran shakes free in the next couple days.

I'd take my chances.

Why would you listen to anything Lucas has to say?

Trade Ratliff? Oh my. What kind of message would that send.

Work your tail off through the offseason program, learn the playbook and come back with a command of the offense like most young kids don't have.

Only to be traded for a 6th round pick. Oh my oh my oh my.

How about this, we keep this kid, let him watch Favre and then he can compete for the starting job. That sounds like a much better plan to me.

Ray Lucas just wants Ratliff gone so he can try and comeback when Favre retires. :winking0001:

Clemens doesn't even look like a QB sometimes, I honestly think when Favre retires, we're going to be handing the QB position to Brett Ratliff.

I dont. Yes he had a good preseason. But you arent an undrafted FA for no reason. You dont suck your first year for no reason. He's got a long way to go before he is ready to become an NFL QB. So far he's had one lousy preseason and one really good preseason.

Let's not think he is going to be the next great QB based off of 4 preseason games against backups. Is there potential? Yes. But we wont know what he has until we put him into pressure situations, like a QB competition in a year or 2. If we win the superbowl this year, I dont care if its you behind center.:)

I dont. Yes he had a good preseason. But you arent an undrafted FA for no reason. You dont suck your first year for no reason. He's got a long way to go before he is ready to become an NFL QB. So far he's had one lousy preseason and one really good preseason.

Let's not think he is going to be the next great QB based off of 4 preseason games against backups. Is there potential? Yes. But we wont know what he has until we put him into pressure situations, like a QB competition in a year or 2. If we win the superbowl this year, I dont care if its you behind center.:)

What are you basing keeping Clemens on he SUCKED in all aspects of the game regular or pres-season and training camp. So your point....................

When was Ratliff's bad preseason?

I understand that and I agree. Right now, Ratliff is suppose to be our # QB, not Clemens. He looks totally lost on the field, totally lost.

Ratliff learning from Favre for 1-2 years will get him significantly better.

Trade KC, that would be great if JEts could get a future draft pick for KC, but Jets try to trade HIM the response from other teams would be, " who's Kellen Clemens" He doesnt have trade value because he hasnt done anything yet.

The fans see it soo i hope the Jets Management see's it. Ratliff is a keeper, the way he looks in the pocket and the improvements he's made, He looks like the jets future at QB. he looks like a young Marino. The kid has a knack for getting in the endzone. after an int came right back on next drive and threw a TD pass. That was impressive his whole preseason was impressive.

Ainge actually looked pretty good last night, but I still don't think they'll have too much trouble cutting him and signing him to their practice squad.

He did? He looked like he was dancing the cha-cha every time he dropped back to pass.

Trade KC, that would be great if JEts could get a future draft pick for KC, but Jets try to trade HIM the response from other teams would be, " who's Kellen Clemens" He doesnt have trade value because he hasnt done anything yet.

The fans see it soo i hope the Jets Management see's it. Ratliff is a keeper, the way he looks in the pocket and the improvements he's made, He looks like the jets future at QB. he looks like a young Marino. The kid has a knack for getting in the endzone. after an int came right back on next drive and threw a TD pass. That was impressive his whole preseason was impressive.

He has such poise and pocket awareness. And then the placement. Most of his passes are not interceptable, it's either going to be an incomplete or the reciever will come up with it, the defender has no chance on it.

There was this one play 2 weeks ago, the fade in the endzone, where people were saying it was a bad pass but I thought it was excellent. With a better WR it was a TD. I forgot the WR there, but I do not think he was lined up correctly, he did not give Ratty enough room to work with. But even so, if he had kept his feet in and caught it better, it woulda been a TD. Coles or Cotch would have pulled it in. That's just a great example of how good he is imo.

And then coming right back from an INT as you mention. Or how about that 1 minute drill, getting all the way down to the endzone and throwing what should have been a TD. You know, right before Nuge screwed it up. Again, that's moxy right there.

I love how he keeps hitting people in stride too. Obviously Favre does this as well. You nail someone 20 yards down the field in stride, and that could be a TD. Just that fast. That's how a lot of the top QBs in this league get their high TD totals. That's why Chad never throws TDs. How is it accurate when you can only hit a stationary target?

Problem with KC is that he hasn't shown any improvement since we signed him. Mangini as all about smart, hardworking players who are always trying to better themselves. Unless he makes some serious progress in the class room, he's not going to see the field again. He needs to step it up, or he won't be on this team next year.

Clemens doesn't even look like a QB sometimes, I honestly think when Favre retires, we're going to be handing the QB position to Brett Ratliff.

after Favre retires Brett Ratliff will be the REAL Broadway Brett....I agree with whoever said get rid of Franks and keep 4 QBs instead of 5 TE's...maybe Ainge with his size can do some receiving this year.

Hmmm...wait a minute isn't James Dearth a TE?

Keep Ratliff, He was our most productive QB in the preseason, and was in the top 10 most productive QB's in the NFL in the preseason. You do not develop and guy like that and then trade him, thats simply a waste of time and money. Trade ratliff or cut him...I'd even say to trade or cut Clemens if it came down to it. Not that I dotn like Clemens but if the Jets really want to see what Ainge is about then they obviously cant cut Ratliff, a QB that can put points on the board and you're definitely not cutting favre. The only choice i see here is to cut clemens or ainge. I honestly think that Ratliff beat out Clemens for that backup role. They wont say it, what they'll do is if a back up has to come in they'll put clemens in and if he doesnt produce on the first 2 drives then ratliff will go in. If ratliff scores a season TD its definitely his position to lose, Which I think that he'd be a good replacement once Favre officially retires.

Archived