Chatman should have been CUT.

JETSFAN5180

Is he a Mangini type player and player for the new NYJETS.

Once the team gets notification of his suspension, he CAN'T BE CUT. Players can't be cut because they are suspended. Can they be cut immediately after? Sure.

Brett Tessler, the agent for New York Jets running back Jesse Chatman, issued the following statement to ESPN.com regarding the NFL's decision to hand down a four-game suspension for Chatman's violation of the league's substance abuse policy:

Jesse never tested positive for a steroid or any other performance-enhancing drug. Near the end of last season the league claimed he had a diuretic in his system that they said could be used as a masking agent. After spending great time and money defending his innocence, the league made its final ruling, and now Jesse has no choice but to look ahead to Week 5.

Where did anyone say he took steroids. There was nothing definitively that says that. Let's not overreact and try to make a stand here. Just post intelligently

Brett Tessler, the agent for New York Jets running back Jesse Chatman, issued the following statement to ESPN.com regarding the NFL's decision to hand down a four-game suspension for Chatman's violation of the league's substance abuse policy:

Jesse never tested positive for a steroid or any other performance-enhancing drug. Near the end of last season the league claimed he had a diuretic in his system that they said could be used as a masking agent. After spending great time and money defending his innocence, the league made its final ruling, and now Jesse has no choice but to look ahead to Week 5.

Where did anyone say he took steroids. There was nothing definitively that says that. Let's not overreact and try to make a stand here. Just post intelligently

Jesse Chatman is SUSPENDED.Im his boss and I have a job to do on Sunday without Jesse I cant do the job.In the REAL WORLD Jesse Chatman is FIRED.

Jesse Chatman is SUSPENDED.Im his boss and I have a job to do on Sunday without Jesse I cant do the job.In the REAL WORLD Jesse Chatman is FIRED.

In the real world if someone who has not missed one day of work, who has had above average performance, and is fired for something that was from a prior employment, while you have knowledge of it, yes you will be able to fire them, but you will be dealing with a lawsuit.

The Jets were aware of the situaiton when he was signed, especially based on the words of the agent "Near the end of last season the league claimed he had a diuretic in his system that they said could be used as a masking agent. After spending great time and money defending his innocence, the league made its final ruling", which implies appeals and a full process, one which would have started prior to the preseason.

Once again, let's stop overreacting on the situation. There are players who are setting worse examples for themselves.

None of this happens in the "real world" silly to compare...

Calm down... all the players you know and love take HGH and other things along those lines... get over it.

According to NYjets.com, Chatman is not taking up a roster spot while suspended. He is also not being paid while suspended.

How exactly do you cut a guy that is not on your roster, and who you are not paying?

Even if you could, why would you do that?

Even if they plan on not picking up his contract in 4 weeks, as I think they will, what if Jones blows out his knee against the Chargers? Think those plans might change?

It would be pure stupidity to force a severance of first rights to claim him when he comes back from suspension.

In the real world if someone who has not missed one day of work, who has had above average performance, and is fired for something that was from a prior employment, while you have knowledge of it, yes you will be able to fire them, but you will be dealing with a lawsuit.

The Jets were aware of the situaiton when he was signed, especially based on the words of the agent "Near the end of last season the league claimed he had a diuretic in his system that they said could be used as a masking agent. After spending great time and money defending his innocence, the league made its final ruling", which implies appeals and a full process, one which would have started prior to the preseason.

Once again, let's stop overreacting on the situation. There are players who are setting worse examples for themselves.

WRONG........ Monday morning mandatory DRUG TEST you pass you have a job you FAIL you are FIRED!!!!!!!!!!

ALL you fools who didnt want Owens,Moss,Shockey,Pac-Man READ IT AND WEEP!!!!!!!

In the real world, with a collective bargaining agreement that says he can NOT be fired, he's not fired.

WRONG........ Monday morning mandatory DRUG TEST you pass you have a job you FAIL you are FIRED!!!!!!!!!!

Aaaaaa, that's just not true.

In the real world if you are a non producing, marginal employee, yep your right. If you are a high producing person, who is making much money for the boss. You are counseled, and put in an exect position, where you don't have to do Monday morning piss tests.

That is where you are wrong.

He has NOT failed a drug test WHILE a NY Jet, he did it as a member of the MIAMI DOLPHINS.

If he failed a drug test at a previous job, then gets hired at the new job, and doesn't fail a drug test at the new job, then you can't use that as reason to fire somebody, especially when you are aware of a potential positive drug test at the other job.

Let's take you for example. While flipping burgers at Mcdonalds, your boss comes to you and says we are going to fire you because as a fry person at Burger King you possibly could have failed a drug test, even though they knew about an ongoing lawsuit that you have to dispute that claim. Despite your amazing ability to flip those burgers and make those Big Mac's, he fires you because lawsuit you were fighting was lost.

How would you feel if that happened to you?

In the real world, with a collective bargaining agreement that says he can NOT be fired, he's not fired.

Quite right, aec.

I'd like to know more about the details of the case before passing judgment. This issue didn't just develop-the Jets knew of Chatman's situation, signed him and let him play extensively in the preseason. So they can't have been too upset.

Diuretics are one of the most common medications given. That doesn't mean Chatman is innocent, he could have been masking. But maybe it was an accident. The same medication gets called by several names, plus there are usually a huge number of related substances that the player might have taken without knowing. Check out webmd or some medications site to see how many names these medications go by.

You cannot legally do that in general. The Drug-free workplace act of 1988 essentially forces an employer to allow you to go into a program to address your drug issue. If they do fire you there is an incredible myriad of ways you can fight it in court, and if you are a small company could go bankrupt just from the legal expenses. So no, in the "real world" you cannot just fire someone for failing a drug test. You can refuse initial employment from drug testing, but once hired things are way way different.

Quite right, aec.

I'd like to know more about the details of the case before passing judgment. This issue didn't just develop-the Jets knew of Chatman's situation, signed him and let him play extensively in the preseason. So they can't have been too upset.

Diuretics are one of the most common medications given. That doesn't mean Chatman is innocent, he could have been masking. But maybe it was an accident. The same medication gets called by several names, plus there are usually a huge number of related substances that the player might have taken without knowing. Check out webmd or some medications site to see how many names these medications go by.

In essence I agree with you, but in today's NFL, the players are requested, not demanded because of the CBA, to submit any medications they are doing to the NFL for approval. If they don't do that, and fail a drug test. They are under heavy suspicion, and rarely win appeals. Some do, but rarely

That is where you are wrong.

He has NOT failed a drug test WHILE a NY Jet, he did it as a member of the MIAMI DOLPHINS.

If he failed a drug test at a previous job, then gets hired at the new job, and doesn't fail a drug test at the new job, then you can't use that as reason to fire somebody, especially when you are aware of a potential positive drug test at the other job.

Let's take you for example. While flipping burgers at Mcdonalds, your boss comes to you and says we are going to fire you because as a fry person at Burger King you possibly could have failed a drug test, even though they knew about an ongoing lawsuit that you have to dispute that claim. Despite your amazing ability to flip those burgers and make those Big Mac's, he fires you because lawsuit you were fighting was lost.

How would you feel if that happened to you?

I wish I worked at a place where you came into eat. I would have some really "special sauce" awaiting your Big-Mac.................:rl:

By the way I guess the security job at the dollar store you work for is very liberal with the drug policy.

I wish I worked at a place where you came into eat. I would have some really "special sauce" awaiting your Big-Mac.................:rl:

By the way I guess the security job at the dollar store you work for is very liberal with the drug policy.

If by security job you mean United States Army, and by liberal drug policy you mean constant Urinalysis exams and a no nonsense you get put in a Ft. Leavenworth prison for a positive drug test, and in my case resign my commission as an officer......then sure I guess you could say that.

Otherwise keep it quiet, your Manager is calling, he wants you to work drive thru today.

If by security job you mean United States Army, and by liberal drug policy you mean constant Urinalysis exams and a no nonsense you get put in a Ft. Leavenworth prison for a positive drug test, and in my case resign my commission as an officer......then sure I guess you could say that.

Otherwise keep it quiet, your Manager is calling, he wants you to work drive thru today.

Your BF is calling he wants you to open your drive thru today..........:rl:

Too bad. That would've been an excellent excuse for being such a belligerent a$$hole.

Takes one to know one.Werent you ever told to mind your own dam business.This clown started something I know he cant finish.

Go back and reread what was posted and who attacked who then talk to me otherwise STFU.

Takes one to know one.Werent you ever told to mind your own dam business.This clown started something I know he cant finish.

Go back and reread what was posted and who attacked who then talk to me otherwise STFU.

I've read enough of your posts -in enough threads- over the past couple days to see what's what. On most sites, you'd've been banned a long time ago. You should be thankful to the kind and lax mods here on JN.

I've read enough of your posts -in enough threads- over the past couple days to see what's what. On most sites, you'd've been banned a long time ago. You should be thankful to the kind and lax mods here on JN.

Like I said go back and read the post CORRECTLY.If you dont like me put me on IGNORE.Thats the great thing about JetNation they allow you to be yourself and defend when you are attacked or ridiculed. Have a nice day!

That's perhaps the reason why no one else has responded to your idiotic posts. The majority of the site probably has you on the ignore list...thank god I've quoted your ridiculousness in my responses, otherwise they would have no reference to base this idiotic thread on.

And just like the other 2000+ members, you will be added to that list on my name.

Hey 5180....anymore name calling like that and you will be going on a vacation.

No need for that, I've got a better threat to use against him. Anymore name calling and I'll post your draft in drago's league. I think you had maybe 2 good picks total in 20 rounds.

Hey 5180....anymore name calling like that and you will be going on a vacation.

I agree 100%.

Slats nailed it with his post. We set this up to be more tolerant than most boards. But just about anywhere else and he would have already been banned.

Attacking posters, high school name calling? Please. Save us the drama but if you choose not to -- you won't be posting here.

No need for that, I've got a better threat to use against him. Anymore name calling and I'll post your draft in drago's league. I think you had maybe 2 good picks total in 20 rounds.

Post away dude I was able to get on-line for I think the last 4 picks.I didnt pre-rank I think my team is decent and im ok with it.Its just a game and the winning prize was..............

The more I think about it...I think it is a really smart move and coaches ought seek out players they know are starting the season on suspension, and sign them to a a deal with as little gaurenetee money as possible.

For four weeks they sit there doing nothing, not costing you a penny and not taking up a roster space. After four weeks if you them because of an injury you sigh 'em. If another team needs them b/c of an injury you trade 'em. If neither of the above you release 'em.

Archived