If Citibank goes under...

Jet Moses

Citi has to make annual payments on the name. So, no.

If they go out of business, wouldn't they declare bankruptcy and ne relieved of paying?

I do not remember the company but Gillette Stadium naming rights were originally bought by a company that went under. I think they were relieved of that financial burden.

If they go out of business, wouldn't they declare bankruptcy and ne relieved of paying?

Yes, Citi won't have to pay anymore if they go bankrupt, but the Mets wont be compelled to keep the Citi name on the building either. Hence what I said: If Citi goes under, the payments will stop, and the Mets will remove the name.

I do not remember the company but Gillette Stadium naming rights were originally bought by a company that went under. I think they were relieved of that financial burden.

CMGI.

I was there for the Stones concert about a month after the name changed. The tickets still said CMGI Field.

See:

photoqw7.jpg

Yes, Citi won't have to pay anymore if they go bankrupt, but the Mets wont be compelled to keep the Citi name on the building either. Hence what I said: If Citi goes under, the payments will stop, and the Mets will remove the name.

CMGI.

I was there for the Stones concert about a month after the name changed. The tickets still said CMGI Field.

See:

photoqw7.jpg

You might want to check your first statement.

Jon Heyman 08:35 PM ET CNNSI

Citigroup has been tanking for weeks (the stock is at 3.77 after losing 94 cents Friday, down almost 90 percent for the year), but the company maintains it will stick to its $20 million-a-year commitment to the New York Mets and Citi Field.

"Citi remains committed to our relationship with the New York Mets. Citi Field is an important marketing priority for the company," Citigroup said in a statement.

Companies that buy naming rights for stadiums have not always fared well (see Enron Field) and have occasionally pulled out of their commitments or closed up shop, causing a loss of income for the team and in some cases a field change. Citigroup has hit the skids before even one game has been played. But judging by their statement, they are determined to make it work.

Citigroup has been tanking for weeks (the stock is at 3.77 after losing 94 cents Friday, down almost 90 percent for the year), but the company maintains it will stick to its $20 million-a-year commitment to the New York Mets and Citi Field.

"Citi remains committed to our relationship with the New York Mets. Citi Field is an important marketing priority for the company," Citigroup said in a statement.

Companies that buy naming rights for stadiums have not always fared well (see Enron Field) and have occasionally pulled out of their commitments or closed up shop, causing a loss of income for the team and in some cases a field change. Citigroup has hit the skids before even one game has been played. But judging by their statement, they are determined to make it work.

If Citi backs out, they'll just find another sucker company to buy the rights. Or they will just gouge the fans more. Either way the Mets will make their money.

Thanks Stalker

Archived