YANKEES' SPENDING MAKES BASEBALL WORLD GO 'ROUND

NIGHT STALKER

what are you talking about? what does putting a hard cap in place so tjhat teams can't spend over a certain amount and a floor in so that teams have to spend a certain amount have to do with what you're talking about?

Once again, you can cap salaries, when you cap the profits by the team. This is not the USSR, and we are not communists. This is a free market system.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 games a year, and most markets have sellouts. The games are on national networks. The NFL is a totally different animal than baseball. You can't comapre a sport with 162 games, to one with 16.

So why are you expecting a MLB owner to try over come huge built-in financial differences to compete?

Most likely, the team is just another toy. They are smart enough to know what they need to do to turn a profit. They also know and something you fail to comprehend, that the cost to be competitive with a big market team is too much.

You're 100% right and not every city can be new york. But, if you're telling me that a team in a "small" market couldn't afford 80-100m a year if they actually tried to win and establish their fan base and market it would be the same but on the opposite end of the spectrum.

So some of these teams aren't even "trying" now. Your naivete knows no bounds.

16 games a year, and most markets have sellouts. The games are on national networks. The NFL is a totally different animal than baseball. You can't comapre a sport with 162 games, to one with 16.

How do you thin k those National contracts got negotiated? Why do you think that happened?

Pete Rozelle KNEW that it was in teh best interest of the sport for them to negotiate together, for them to act in unity and for the NFL to have equal sharing

It wasn't just something that happened because they have 16 games. It was a thought out strategy to create longetivity and a collected unity.

read up on Ro=zelle and his ideas some day. You may learn how the sport was put together.

How do you thin k those National contracts got negotiated? Why do you think that happened?

Pete Rozelle KNEW that it was in teh best interest of the sport for them to negotiate together, for them to act in unity and for the NFL to have equal sharing

It wasn't just something that happened because they have 16 games. It was a thought out strategy to create longetivity and a collected unity.

read up on Ro=zelle and his ideas some day. You may learn how the sport was put together.

Really? I never heard of that guy. Who is he ? :rl:

I guess you're right. Money = championships. How much money have the Mets spent in the last 10 years? How many rings have they won ? Kthxbye.

I NEVER said money = Championships.

You should study Rozelle and his model and why it was pout in place.

You know, as a fan of a team that has had 2 major collapses in the last 2 seasons, you should be more concerned with what is going on in that disaster of a clubhouse. Don't concern yourself with how much money the Yankees are spending or salary caps. It seems to me that no matter how much money your team spends, it poops the bed year after year for 22 of them and counting. That should concern you more than what the Yankees are doing. You can't keep parading out the 86 team forever.

You know, as a fan of a team that has had 2 major collapses in the last 2 seasons, you should be more concerned with what is going on in that disaster of a clubhouse. Don't concern yourself with how much money the Yankees are spending or salary caps. It seems to me that no matter how much money your team spends, it poops the bed year after year for 22 of them and counting. That should concern you more than what the Yankees are doing. You can't keep parading out the 86 team forever.

If you had ANY reading comprehension, you would already know that I have said that THIS IS NOT a Yankees problem alone.

But, comprehension is not your strong suit. Name calling and vulgarity is. The same thing that got you kicked off this site in the first place.

Keep along that 3rd grade line of thinking. It seems to suit you perfectly.

Wow, now I'm being attacked by the pothead who posts threads of criminals who die. :rl:

Want to compare tax returns pothead ?

Then we have the other fool who is obsessed with the Yankees and my previous screen name. :D

You're the worst poster of the entire baseball forum....you're lucky Thaijet posts in the other sections.

As a fan of the 2nd most free spending franchise, why do you care?

The integrity of the game? C'mon

Because I love the sport as much as my team.

Is it fun knowing that the best players in any free agency period will go to one of probably 6-7 teams, in all likelihood? Not for me. That is not sport.

Is the sport ruined? Of course not. Baseball has endured despite all of its stupidity and mishandlings. It will.

But the playing field is extremely tilted for teh top tier, and that hardly makes for a competitive arena.

Free agency was necessary, and the way the game treated players prior to that was borderline criminal. But baseball free agency has greatly changed teh dynamic of the game. As well, there should be an international draft, not importing players based on who has teh most money.

It is not about Yankees. It is not about Mets. It is about baseball.

Because I love the sport as much as my team.

Is it fun knowing that the best players in any free agency period will go to one of probably 6-7 teams, in all likelihood? Not for me. That is not sport.

Is the sport ruined? Of course not. Baseball has endured despite all of its stupidity and mishandlings. It will.

But the playing field is extremely tilted for teh top tier, and that hardly makes for a competitive arena.

Free agency was necessary, and the way the game treated players prior to that was borderline criminal. But baseball free agency has greatly changed teh dynamic of the game. As well, there should be an international draft, not importing players based on who has teh most money.

It is not about Yankees. It is not about Mets. It is about baseball.

Wow, I have a tear in my eye. Oh, hold on, it's the onions in my omelette. :gfight:

Is MLB doomed ? If so , show me how.

First of all genius, the NBA has a "soft cap" vs the NFL's "hard cap". If you want to be like the NHL go ahead. Take MLB down that path of doom.

Why would it doom MLB?

The NHL salary cap is actually a good model for MLB. They have implemented an upper and lower limit. Baseball would benefit from having an upper limit of $150 million and lower limit of $75 million. The NY, Chicago, LA and Boston teams could not just sign everybody. It would also force the Florida teams and others to spend money.

It is a fact, MLB TV ratings go down when the Yankees and Red Sox are not involved (more so the Yankees) in a broadcast. The WS ratings have been in steady decline since the late 70s. During that same period, the NFL Superbowl ratings have been steadily increasing. Irregardless of match-up, the NFL gets viewers. Rays/Phillies was one of the worse rated WS ever even though you had the 4th and 13th TV markets. If Carolina/Tennesse make the Superbowl it will get a monster share irregardless of market.

MLB could not adopt a NFL system nor should it. It needs big market teams, but it also needs to strengthen it's lower level teams to make it more palatable to the US.

Why would it doom MLB?

The NHL salary cap is actually a good model for MLB. They have implemented an upper and lower limit. Baseball would benefit from having an upper limit of $150 million and lower limit of $75 million. The NY, Chicago, LA and Boston teams could not just sign everybody. It would also force the Florida teams and others to spend money.

It is a fact, MLB TV ratings go down when the Yankees and Red Sox are not involved (more so the Yankees) in a broadcast. The WS ratings have been in steady decline since the late 70s. During that same period, the NFL Superbowl ratings have been steadily increasing. Irregardless of match-up, the NFL gets viewers. Rays/Phillies was one of the worse rated WS ever even though you had the 4th and 13th TV markets. If Carolina/Tennesse make the Superbowl it will get a monster share irregardless of market.

MLB could not adopt a NFL system nor should it. It needs big market teams, but it also needs to strengthen it's lower level teams to make it more palatable to the US.

Ok, so how would you pay the Sushi Chef 50 million just to talk to him under that agreement ?

anskyruben your personal attacks are getting out of control. You were banned for this before I believe under a different username.

There are others in here guilty of personal attacks as well, so I am locking this.

Also -- no need for anyone to PM me t explain any of this. Just avoid personal attacks going forward and there is no issue. Or put posters that any of you have issues with on ignore and the problem is gone.

Archived