YANKEES' SPENDING MAKES BASEBALL WORLD GO 'ROUND

NIGHT STALKER

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
mlb needs 2 things......a hard salary cap and a salary floor.

MLB is fine the way it is. What they need to do is tell these freakin owners who pocket this luxury tax, if they dont spend it, they lose it. Watch how many teams start going out and getting better players then.

MLB is fine the way it is. What they need to do is tell these freakin owners who pocket this luxury tax, if they dont spend it, they lose it. Watch how many teams start going out and getting better players then.

ur entitled to your opinion but i disagree, i think it's a joke. there should be a range....say 75-130 million/year.

Adter Wilpon found out he'd been swindled out of half a billion and bankrupt Citibank wasn't going to pony up for "Citifield", the Mets didn't have much choice.

I'll care about other teams whining about the Yankees spending money when they refuse the revenue sharing, like that cutrate outfit in KC that owns that little grocery

store called Walmart. What really pisses them off now is that the Yankees looked at the rules and figured out they could take the revenue sharing cash and get a new stadium, so the Pirates, Red, Royals, and Marlins won't be getting those big ass checks form the Bronx this year.

At least get your spin right. David Glass was CEO of Walmart. Key word was. He does not own Walmart and I am pretty sure would have been fired if he started funneling Walmart profits into the Royals.

The Yankees paid $23.88 million in 2007. Please explain how that is going to level the playing field for those four teams when they divided it up? I swear the US economy must be run by a Yankee fan.

At least get your spin right. David Glass was CEO of Walmart. Key word was. He does not own Walmart and I am pretty sure would have been fired if he started funneling Walmart profits into the Royals.

The Yankees paid $23.88 million in 2007. Please explain how that is going to level the playing field for those four teams when they divided it up? I swear the US economy must be run by a Yankee fan.

Says the fan who's team is right up there in spending. You throw out 50 mil just to have the rights to talk to a free agent for god's sake.

Getting a little edgy there my Army friend? Come on, don't quit (Night Stalkers don't) the season already because you see the Yankees in a buying frenzy....

Says the fan who's team is right up there in spending. You throw out 50 mil just to have the rights to talk to a free agent for god's sake.

Getting a little edgy there my Army friend? Come on, don't quit (Night Stalkers don't) the season already because you see the Yankees in a buying frenzy....

Do you really enjoy watching your team (and my team, and a few others in the sport) have such an incredible spending advantage that others in the sport don't have?

Is this sport?

I realize the Mets have a incredible leverage to how they set their organization up, what they have to spend and how they allocate resources. It is an unfair advatage.

Are there other teams that piggyback on thsi financial success? Absolutely.

Does that make it right? Not in my opinion

Come on NSDQ...you know better then that.

If I had a dollar for every time I said I am thankful my team spends money, I could afford that 98K Mustang at my local Ford Dealership.

I only call people on mis-informed posts like Bugg's. To quote Jesse the Body on baseball owners, "these people did not get rich by being stupid." Outside of "because", no Yankee fan has given a justifiable reason an owner like David Glass should pony up money from one of his other assets to fund the Royals.

Ewing Kaufman did it for the Royals because the money difference was not that great. Last year, the Yankees spent $150 million dollars more on salary then the Royals. If Glass owned Walmart, do you think the Walmart shareholders are going to allow him to funnel money to the Royals and undermine their portfolios? No. If he did that for six years, it would be close to a billion dollars. A billion dollars.

This is not the NFL where people are limited in what they can spend. The Yankees can out spend everyone by a lot. I would not expect any owner to open their own bank to try and compete with the Yankees. That is outright stupid. To beat the Yankees, you have to be smarter.

Do you really enjoy watching your team (and my team, and a few others in the sport) have such an incredible spending advantage that others in the sport don't have?

Is it really an advantage when they spend money to make money? If a team puts a crappy product on the field, then no one pays to see it. The teams tat spend for the free agents, get fans to come in and pay money for seats, food, drinks, souvenirs. They make money on the Jerseys and everything else. Maybe if the Pirates, Royals and some of the other constant bottom dwellers would get some good players and keep the rookies they have instead of trading them, the game would be more fair. Until then they need to STFU and get over themselves or just sell the team to someone who will do something with it

Is it really an advantage when they spend money to make money? If a team puts a crappy product on the field, then no one pays to see it. The teams tat spend for the free agents, get fans to come in and pay money for seats, food, drinks, souvenirs. They make money on the Jerseys and everything else. Maybe if the Pirates, Royals and some of the other constant bottom dwellers would get some good players and keep the rookies they have instead of trading them, the game would be more fair. Until then they need to STFU and get over themselves or just sell the team to someone who will do something with it

Do these teams have the ability to sign World Free Agents, who are not subject to a draft? No

Do these teams have the money to build infrastructure and scouting squads liek teh big teams? No.

It is easy to say spend money to make money, and the tide will change. That only works until you can't afford your mistakes any more.

The Mets and Yankees have teh ability to absorb these mistakes, shrug them off like a bug hitting a windshield and move on. Others can't do it.

Do these teams have the ability to sign World Free Agents, who are not subject to a draft? No

Do these teams have the money to build infrastructure and scouting squads liek teh big teams? No.

It is easy to say spend money to make money, and the tide will change. That only works until you can't afford your mistakes any more.

The Mets and Yankees have teh ability to absorb these mistakes, shrug them off like a bug hitting a windshield and move on. Others can't do it.

The Twins owner (Carl Pohlad) has more money than the Steinbrenners and refuses to dump it into this team...sorry, I just don't feel sorry for their fans. And the Twins aren't the only ones out there with cash to burn.

Others havent tried to do it. They have scouts, they draft players, they have access to everything others have. They get additional money to do these things. They simply choose not to do it.

ur entitled to your opinion but i disagree, i think it's a joke. there should be a range....say 75-130 million/year.

That would be ideal. I have always believed that. The do need both a cap and a floor. We could see a day when the Yankees spend 300 million when there are 30 million dollar teams out there.

That isn't good.

Why don't you go make a thread about your team. Lord knows they have enough problems you people can discuss. maybe you can figure out how to inject some class into that bum Krod.

It is entirely impossible for you to have a grown up discussion on baseball without you

a. Getting upset that a fan of another team is talking about your team

b. Introducing vulgarity or name calling into the dialogue

c. Making some third grade remark about the commenter's team.

Or, all of the above wrapped into one.

I assume you realize there was a reason you were banned from this site in tje first place and had to come crawling back under anoither alias(?)

I guess that doesn't stop you from being the same boorish record over and over again, who acts like a spited little girl when his team gest discussed negatively.

Grow a pair of balls and take some criticism about your teamlike a big boy, without the name calling. It gets old.

It is entirely impossible for you to have a grown up discussion on baseball without you

I assume you realize there was a reason you were banned from this site in tje first place and had to come crawling back under anoither alias(?)

I guess that doesn't stop you from being the same boorish record over and over again, who acts like a spited little girl when his team gest discussed negatively.

Grow a pair of balls and take some criticism about your teamlike a big boy, without the name calling. It gets old.

We all have our own rules when it comes to posting. My rule (and believe me, I've tried to abide by it) is, even though it's only a message board, I won't post anything to someone that I wouldn't say to their face.

It's amazing the balls some people have on the board, but when you meet them, they remembered they left their balls on the message board.

OOOOOh. Am I supposed to be afraid or something now ? You post the same boring dribble on every Yankee thread. Once in a while you go away to the psych ward and we are blessed with not having to read your crap. I guess they must've let you back out, and you are once again on your usual path of yankee hatred. You're a fool. Like I told you before, go start a Mets thread an post there. Your unhealthy obsession with the Yankees is doing you no good. Your mental instability is just getting worst.

We all have our own rules when it comes to posting. My rule (and believe me, I've tried to abide by it) is, even though it's only a message board, I won't post anything to someone that I wouldn't say to their face.

It's amazing the balls some people have on the board, but when you meet them, they remembered they left their balls on the message board.

I'm sure you've read enough of his posts throughout the years to see that he is the last person who should be throwing stones. He has an infatuation with the Yankees. Kind of like JBF had.

I'm sure you've read enough of his posts throughout the years to see that he is the last person who should be throwing stones. He has an infatuation with the Yankees. Kind of like JBF had.

Wahhhh. Someone spoke about the Yankees without reverance.

If you would have taken the time, you would have seen everything I said about the Yanks, I said about the Mets in this thread.

I just want to say that outside of the homo jokes I mean 94% of everything else I say.

Why ? Is there a cap on how much profit an owner can make ? That will not happen and the union won;t allow it so stop complaining

i'm not complaining, i'm just stating an opinion. and, since it appears you lack the reading comprehension skills to understand what i'm saying......i will explain it to you. i am equally against the underspending that some teams employ as i am the overspending. which is why i suggested ther should be a floor as well as a hard cap. you just read the cap, and decided to bash me cause you're a yankees fan.....and an immature one at that. i mean is it possible for you to have a discusion without the 3rd grade level dialogue? just fyi, it doesn't make you seem funny or make your argument stronger when you resort to name calling and flaming...matter of fact, those are usually the tactics of a person who lacks the knowledge or intelligence to make a better argument otherwise....

Is this sport?

I realize the Mets have a incredible leverage to how they set their organization up, what they have to spend and how they allocate resources. It is an unfair advatage.

Are there other teams that piggyback on thsi financial success? Absolutely.

Does that make it right? Not in my opinion

Unfair. What is unfair-putting your fans' money on the field, or just cashing the checks? The latter is what many of the small markets with no real salary floor are only to happy to do.

Even if I concede your point, so what? Baseball has always had haves and havenots. It has always been this way and given a 162-game schedule, probably always will be. Again, you Yankee haters have to make up your minds and choose one big point of criticism-either the Yanks are bad because they spend the revenues they take in spend it on the team, or the Yanks are bad because basseball doesn't have a hard cap that forces them to keep their money in their wallet. Those ideas are mutually exclusive and incompatible with each other, an either/or choice.

Also think the Sawx fans here are beginning to realize that all that BS Fenway nostalgia nothwithstanding the new Stadium, built with revenue sharing cash, is about to give the Yanks a new revenue stream Fenway can never come close to providing. But you can write more poems to that sheethole, and I suspect many of you think that makes up for it.

In the 1950s, the 3 NY teams dominated because they made more money than everyone else. So much so that in the 1920s and 1930s the Yanks had financial interests with the Red Sox, and in the 1950s, with the KC A's. And baseball history is filled with such examples, datingback to the early 1900s.

Unfair. What is unfair-putting your fans' money on the field, or just cashing the checks? The latter is what many of the small markets with no real salary floor are only to happy to do.

Even if I concede your point, so what? Baseball has always had haves and havenots. It has always been this way and given a 162-game schedule, probably always will be. Again, you Yankee haters have to make up your minds and choose one big point of criticism-either the Yanks are bad because they spend the revenues they take in spend it on the team, or the Yanks are bad because basseball doesn't have a hard cap that forces them to keep their money in their wallet. Those ideas are mutually exclusive and incompatible with each other, an either/or choice.

Also think the Sawx fans here are beginning to realize that all that BS Fenway nostalgia nothwithstanding the new Stadium, built with revenue sharing cash, is about to give the Yanks a new revenue stream Fenway can never come close to providing. But you can write more poems to that sheethole, and I suspect many of you think that makes up for it.

In the 1950s, the 3 NY teams dominated because they made more money than everyone else. So much so that in the 1920s and 1930s the Yanks had financial interests with the Red Sox, and in the 1950s, with the KC A's. And baseball history is filled with such examples, datingback to the early 1900s.

Bugg, if you and others cared to read my posts, I say the same thing about teh Mets and other big Marjket teams.

This IS NOT just a Yankee issue. Why cant Yankee fans see that?

And yes, the same was said back in the 1930's, and the sport has survived.

But that does not make it the best solution or fairest either.

If baseball were to put in a cap what would happen to the teams that would be over it from previous contracts, like the yanks, mets, sox, cubs, etc. And would the players union even allow it?

Players union would NEVER allow it.

You could operate under a system where existing contracts are graced under the cap and ease into it over a number of years.

Again, it is a pipe dream.

Archived