Got to give the Red Sox credit here...

NIGHT STALKER

Amazing how they locked up this guy so cheap...they did the same with Pedroia earlier.

ESPN.com news services

The Red Sox locked up another of their young stars to a long-term deal Thursday.

Boston avoided arbitration with Kevin Youkilis, agreeing to a four-year contract with the first baseman worth more than $40 million, sources told ESPN's Peter Gammons. The deal includes an option for a fifth year.

Youkilis enjoyed a breakout season in 2008, hitting .312 with 29 home runs and 115 RBIs.

Earlier this offseason, Boston signed second-baseman Dustin Pedroia to a long-term deal. The American League MVP received a six-year contract worth $40.5 million.

Its a decent deal. Guy was arb. eligible this year and next year, then a FA in 2011. So they buy his first 2 years of FA somewhat cheaply but overspend on the 2 arb. years.

Not sure why he did it. Since he was a late bloomer, he should have headed into FA and get big $$$ there in 2 years. But he must need the money now...

I thinbk we are all in agreement, if teh Yankees don't win it all this year, it will be the biggest fall from paper championship in the history of the league.

You love bashing the Yanks every chance you get don't you?! I have no idea what your post has to do with a Red Sox thread signing Youke unless like I said, it's you no wanting to miss out a chance to zing one in on the Yankees and their fans.

You love bashing the Yanks every chance you get don't you?! I have no idea what your post has to do with a Red Sox thread signing Youke unless like I said, it's you no wanting to miss out a chance to zing one in on the Yankees and their fans.

Saying that the Yankees should be prohibitive favorites to win the WS is "Yankee bashing"?

Your skin has stretched new levels of thin.

Saying that the Yankees should be prohibitive favorites to win the WS is "Yankee bashing"?

Your skin has stretched new levels of thin.

You know exactly what I meant...nothing to do with my skin or the subject thread. Are you this way with football Giants fans as well? Being a Jets fan for such a long time, I'm glad I don't feel the temptation to bash them because my Jets have sucked all these years.

Concentrate on your Mets this season. Don't worry about the Yanks possbile failure...I know I haven't in this month of March.

You know exactly what I meant...nothing to do with my skin or the subject thread. Are you this way with football Giants fans as well? Being a Jets fan for such a long time, I'm glad I don't feel the temptation to bash them because my Jets have sucked all these years.

Concentrate on your Mets this season. Don't worry about the Yanks possbile failure...I know I haven't in this month of March.

Yes, sir, General.

No nothing = double negative which means something. Some thought no Manny= worse offense and no chance at making the playoffs. They were wrong last year and they will be again this year.

You really think the Red Sox will have a better offense without Manny this year?

I think they will struggle offensively this year. The Red Sox will kick themselves for not signing Teixeira.

Their pitching staff is very solid, so they will be in the race to win the division. But to go through a whole season without Manny will be tough to overcome.

I think they will struggle offensively this year. The Red Sox will kick themselves for not signing Teixeira.

Their pitching staff is very solid, so they will be in the race to win the division. But to go through a whole season without Manny will be tough to overcome.

Why will they struggle? If Lowell and Ortiz are healthy it's still a very dangerous lineup.

The pitching will carry them through because they are deep and loaded and it wins championships.

Why will they struggle? If Lowell and Ortiz are healthy it's still a very dangerous lineup.

The pitching will carry them through because they are deep and loaded and it wins championships.

Here's the thing. You've won two titles with Manny. It remains to be seen if you can win without him. You went 80 something years without winning the big one until "Manny being Manny" came along.;)

Sawx pitching = Big 3 and pray for rain

Hardly. Between Penny, Wakefield, Buccholz, Smoltz and Bowden, there is more starting rotation depth than most teams can even dream of. If Penny returns to form or Smoltz comes back strong, other teams are in trouble. Wakes is an inning eater who will keep the team in games. If Buccholz and Bowden can start in the minors, even better, but they're both more than solid prospects to help the big league team this season.

He did not want to sign with them. It is not for lack of effort, but his desire to be a Yankee.

Sawx pitching = Big 3 and pray for rain

It is not that bleak. Wakefield is ok. He will get us 10-15 wins. Between Penny, Smoltz, Masterson and Bucholz, the Sox will get 33 starts. What they get is a mystery, but in the end I will rather see them then Phil Hughes filling my 5th spot.

Penny= Done

Smoltz= Toast

Bucholz= Puh-lease

Bowden= Who?

Wakes= Who is catching that guy

No offense, and a pinky blister away from 4th place

Sorry

Penny is only 30 and his injury was muscular, not structural. Smoltz was pitching very well until his injury and the Sox were very impressed with his bullpen session. Buccholz had a rough year last season, but you average Joe's don't throw no-nos. Bowden is one of the top pitching prospects in the Sox organization and there are a lot of teams who want him in a trade. Someone will catch Wakes. I always though that it was pretty overrated.

The Yankees still have their problems too, you know, JonE.

Here's the thing. You've won two titles with Manny. It remains to be seen if you can win without him. You went 80 something years without winning the big one until "Manny being Manny" came along.;)

Actually Ortiz , Beckett were what Manny needed to get those rings.....that and the Yankees blowing the 3-0 lead in 04. People are underestimating how good Jason Bay is. He's not Manny but he is a very good player. If Lowell and Ortiz are healthy, which they weren't down the stretch last year,the Sox are the team to beat in the AL East IMO.

Actually Ortiz , Beckett were what Manny needed to get those rings.....that and the Yankees blowing the 3-0 lead in 04. People are underestimating how good Jason Bay is. He's not Manny but he is a very good player. If Lowell and Ortiz are healthy, which they weren't down the stretch last year,the Sox are the team to beat in the AL East IMO.

Until the Rays get dethroned, they are the team to beat. And as far as Manny goes, so do the Sox...until they prove otherwise.

It's not a "hometown discount," it's a very large sum of money for someone arbitration eligible. That's why I want to vomit every time Peter Gammons says something about how one of these guys (only on the Sox, of course) is just "all about the championships."

While I would not say Youk is a 'discount' at 10+ million per if the option is picked up. I would say he ultimately took less money by signing before becoming a free agent. Especially if he duplicates last year and judging by what Derek Lee (more of a pedigree) signed a 5 year-65 million contract extension.

Archived