Would you make this trade if you were Mike Tannenbaum?

Do you make this deal?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you make this deal?

Some of you guys are crazy.

Kerry Rhodes and a mid 1st rd pick isnt stopping me from getting Jay Cutler.

PS: how the hell can you not want Jay Cutler???? this team hasnt had a young QB like him since Namath.

WAKE THE F##K UP, people. Its all about the QB.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Some of you guys are crazy.

Kerry Rhodes and a mid 1st rd pick isnt stopping me from getting Jay Cutler.

PS: how the hell can you not want Jay Cutler???? this team hasnt had a young QB like him since Namath.

WAKE THE F##K UP, people. Its all about the QB.

no sh1t dick tracy

not sure where peoples head are

rhodes can be replaced easily, people act like he is ed reed..not even close

a 4th rd pick who showed potential and has leveled out.

Its amazing to see how highly people think of Kerry Rhodes.

Rhodes is my favorite Jet and it would be sad to see him go but when you have a chance to get a 25 year old franchise Quarterback with a (Peyton Manning reference) laser rocket arm for the 4th or 5th best Safety in the league and a 17th overall draft pick, you do it. Jay Cutler is a Top 10 QB with the potential to be a Top 2, 3 QB in the league. He has had no Defensive help, average at best running peformances and he was also sick for a time period, learning to play with the sickness. In 3 years he WILL be in the Top 3 in the NFL.

But no, lets hand it off to Kellen Clemens or Brett Ratliff. That sounds like such a smart decision when you have the opportunity to land Cutler.

Rhodes is vastly overrated.

He was mediocre at best last season, and he has been wildly inconsistent throughout his career. Maybe he can turn into a very good player in Rex's system, but it's certainly not a given. I would trade him away for the prospect of a franchise QB in a second.

"Gutting his defense"....Oh man, get a clue. Stupidity rains.

FU, KingDick.

Rex Ryan himself has said that Rhodes is one of the cornerstones of his defense. So taking away such a significant piece is gutting it.

You should really pay attention before you call anyone else stupid, otherwise you show yourself that you are.

Rex Ryan himself has said that Rhodes is one of the cornerstones of his defense. So taking away such a significant piece is gutting it.

Honestly I think Rex values Kris Jenkins, Calvin Pace, Bart Scott and Darrelle Revis before he values Kerry Rhodes. Just a guess though.

Honestly I think Rex values Kris Jenkins, Calvin Pace, Bart Scott and Darrelle Revis before he values Kerry Rhodes. Just a guess though.

How can you just presume that. You, me or anyone here has no idea how Rex really feels towards his players. He likes Rhodes though, he mentioned him a lot in his opening PC, comparing him to Ed Reed and praising the heck out of him.

Rhodes will put up elite #'s with Ryan as HC.

Honestly, this doesn't say much.

Of course the new head coach is going to have nothing but nice things to say about a young player who is locked up long term when he first gets here.

Don't get me wrong, Rhodes has a ton of talent and upside, but the fact is that he simply was not good last season and outside of a couple nice stretches has not been anything special.

He's definitely a player you want to keep and build a defense with, but IMO he is not good enough to warrant passing up on a franchise QB.

And Rex is not going to get rid of any of them for a QB.

Rex is building a championship defense with the KILL mentality. That's his stated goal. A key part of that is Rhodes. So you want to screw up this championship defense for a QB.

People hate Rhodes here for some reason although Mangidiot failed to properly use him this past season (according to multiple reports, annonymous players, and Rhodes himself saying it!).

Without Rhodes this is not a championship caliber defense. I'm not saying Rhodes is great but he is extremely important to Rex. Without Rhodes, Leonhard will totally be exposed as will Lito Shepherd.

If Rhodes was not on the Jets I seriously doubt the Jets would have ever signed Leonhard. Leonhard was brought in to be Robin to Rhodes' Batman in the secondary. That's what Leonhard's role is.

Honestly, this doesn't say much.

Of course the new head coach is going to have nothing but nice things to say about a young player who is locked up long term when he first gets here.

Don't get me wrong, Rhodes has a ton of talent and upside, but the fact is that he simply was not good last season and outside of a couple nice stretches has not been anything special.

He's definitely a player you want to keep and build a defense with, but IMO he is not good enough to warrant passing up on a franchise QB.

DD, how can you possibly ignore Mangidiot's role in how Rhodes played last year?

Seriously. How many more articles have to be written on this? How many more annonymous players must chime in on this? How many more times must Rhodes himself mention this?

Mangidiot had Rhodes playing 20 yards off the line of scrimmage all season because of Mangidiot's fear of getting burned. Plus, he, for some reason, had Rhodes on Revis' side of the field on many plays, leaving Elam or Mr. Fall Down trying to protect Lowery, Ty Law, etc.

And by the way, let's get back to this scenario: Rhodes going to Cleveland. According to multiple accounts, Rhodes hates Mangini. So how is that going to work out in Cleveland?

DD, how can you possibly ignore Mangidiot's role in how Rhodes played last year?

Seriously. How many more articles have to be written on this? How many more annonymous players must chime in on this? How many more times must Rhodes himself mention this?

Mangidiot had Rhodes playing 20 yards off the line of scrimmage all season because of Mangidiot's fear of getting burned. Plus, he, for some reason, had Rhodes on Revis' side of the field on many plays, leaving Elam or Mr. Fall Down trying to protect Lowery, Ty Law, etc.

Of course Mangini and his system played a role, but it wasn't the whole problem.

How many times did we see Rhodes whiff on tackles last year? He was getting beat one on one on a consistent basis, and that has nothing to do with the system.

IMO, Rhodes is simply not an aggressive, killer instinct kind of player. He's more of a finesse player who is good in many aspects of the game, but not elite in any.

Like I said, he's a good player to build on defense with, but he's not good enough to pass up on a franchise QB.

And Rex is not going to get rid of any of them for a QB.

Rex is building a championship defense with the KILL mentality. That's his stated goal. A key part of that is Rhodes. So you want to screw up this championship defense for a QB.

People hate Rhodes here for some reason although Mangidiot failed to properly use him this past season (according to multiple reports, annonymous players, and Rhodes himself saying it!).

Without Rhodes this is not a championship caliber defense. I'm not saying Rhodes is great but he is extremely important to Rex. Without Rhodes, Leonhard will totally be exposed as will Lito Shepherd.

If Rhodes was not on the Jets I seriously doubt the Jets would have ever signed Leonhard. Leonhard was brought in to be Robin to Rhodes' Batman in the secondary. That's what Leonhard's role is.

I am a huge Rhodes fan but if it means giving him up for Cutler, I'm doing it. The defense wouldn't be as good without Rhodes, you're right, but the offense would be extremely better with Cutler as the signal caller. You have to give up a little to get more.

In the end, I see this as a 1% chance of happening, its just interesting discussion.

Nobody can come here and tell me I'm bashing Rhodes, I'm not, I'm one of his biggest fans, but I would make this trade in an instant if I was Mike Tannenbaum and this was presented to me by the Browns and Broncos organizations. I don't mind giving up a Safety and a 1st round pick for Jay Cutler, Rhodes isn't exactly Ed Reed. Abram Elam in Rhodes' spot would be interesting.

Okay SMC, IrishJet and any others who said "No" to this trade because you feel Kerry Rhodes is that important to Rex Ryan's defense, let me ask you this question:

What about giving up Darrelle Revis?

Rex Ryan's defenses have still been Top 6 defenses every year with or without a Number 1 Cornerback. Sure Chris McAlister was that for three, maybe four seasons, but other than that they've gotten it done with a bunch of #2's and #3's like Deion Sanders (late 30's), Samari Rolle (in his 30's), Fabian Washington, Corey Ivy, etc.

So would it be better to trade Revis and a draft pick (2nd rounder) for Cutler rather than Rhodes and a 1st?

124, I get your point.

I simply don't believe hurting the defense under any circumstances helps the team even if they acquire a franchise QB.

Winning a championship is rare when done without a franchise QB or, at least, a QB who puts up a probowl caliber season in the year the team gets to the SB.

But it's even more rare to win a championship without a championship caliber defense. The Jets without Rhodes will not be a championship caliber because if Leonhard is the Jets best safety the secondary is in big trouble.

Okay SMC, IrishJet and any others who said "No" to this trade because you feel Kerry Rhodes is that important to Rex Ryan's defense, let me ask you this question:

Rex Ryan's defenses have still been Top 6 defenses every year with or without a Number 1 Cornerback. Sure Chris McAlister was that for three, maybe four seasons, but other than that they've gotten it done with a bunch of #2's and #3's like Deion Sanders (late 30's), Samari Rolle (in his 30's), Fabian Washington, Corey Ivy, etc.

So would it be better to trade Revis and a draft pick (2nd rounder) for Cutler rather than Rhodes and a 1st?

Bumped.

No, I'd do neither.

This defense is set in stone right now, and it has the potential to eb one of the NFL's best next season. Championship teams are built through defense so I want ours to be as strong as possible, without any glaring holes. Just look at Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Tennessee etc. last season. Our defense has the potential to be that good, maybe better but not if we lose our best players.

If we do go after Cutler I hope we get him through draft picks, without tradng one of our defensive studs.

Cutler could put this team over the top the way it is right now IMO. He's never had such a strong defense to back him up and one of the main reason I think he'd be a success here is because of exactly that.

Get Cutler, but for the love of God leave the D the way it is.

No, I'd do neither.

This defense is set in stone right now, and it has the potential to eb one of the NFL's best next season. Championship teams are built through defense so I want ours to be as strong as possible, without any glaring holes. Just look at Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Tennessee etc. last season. Our defense has the potential to be that good, maybe better but not if we lose our best players.

If we do go after Cutler I hope we get him through draft picks, without tradng one of our defensive studs.

Cutler could put this team over the top the way it is right now IMO. He's never had such a strong defense to back him up and one of the main reason I think he'd be a success here is because of exactly that.

You're missing the point of the thread, I think: If it was the only way (to get Cutler), would you make this deal?

Nobody wants to get rid of Rhodes. But for Cutler.......yes

Absolutely not. Again, you are taking away a cornerstone of the defense. If Lito Sheperd is the Jets best CB, the Jets will be in big trouble.

Plus, Revis, right now, is one of the best CBs in the NFL. Cutler is a promising young QB. Cutler has a chance to be a franchise QB, which Revis is already a franchise CB.

Look at the franchise tag as an illustration. The NFL & NFLPA set up the tag based on what they believe is the most important position on down. In order of priority it is:

QB

DE

CB

LT

These are the 4 most important positions on the team according to the NFL & NFLPA. The Jets are hurting themselves and a championship caliber defense by getting rid of the franchise CB to get a franchise QB. It ends up a Zero sum gain.

Absolutely not. Again, you are taking away a cornerstone of the defense. If Lito Sheperd is the Jets best CB, the Jets will be in big trouble.

Plus, Revis, right now, is one of the best CBs in the NFL. Cutler is a promising young QB. Cutler has a chance to be a franchise QB, which Revis is already a franchise CB.

Look at the franchise tag as an illustration. The NFL & NFLPA set up the tag based on what they believe is the most important position on down. In order of priority it is:

QB

DE

CB

LT

These are the 4 most important positions on the team according to the NFL & NFLPA. The Jets are hurting themselves and a franchise caliber defense by getting rid of the franchise CB to get a franchise QB. It ends up a Zero sum gain.

LOL i do not see safety on your list

No, I'd do neither.

We still have major holes at QB, WR, TE, OT, OG, DE, backup NT, CB2, and SS. Forfeiting multiple draft picks in our situation is beyond stupid.

Faneca is fading fast. Woody is above average as is BMoore. Our Oline is patchwork and can hold together another year MAYBE 2, but we need top talent there if we are going to be a run dominant unit. WR is what it is, we have a very good possession guy in Cotch, who is capable of making plays with his feet but won't burn you. We lack an explosive every down threat opposite him. TE we have a glorified WR as it stands now. Maybe he progresses as a blocker, but if the game plan is to dominate TOP with a great ground attack, we need a dominant blocker there NOW. DE Ellis is about to break the bank and needs to be either renegotiated down or cut next year. Jenks can't man the NT spot every down for a full season. An suitable backup is needed immediately as well. Lito is regressed until proven differently. Leonard is not a true starter.

Even if we can address half of these problem areas this season, it will take a full draft to do it. Or we can trade all of our highest picks to Denver and hope that we hit with 100% accuracy on all our need picks in the 5th 6th and 7th rounds.

Cutler would be a final piece if this team was in a position to be sustainable long term. It's not. Dline and Oline need to be upgraded with younger franchis caliber players immediately. 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounds of the upcoming drafts should help us. Oh yeah and we still need playmakers cause we have Leon and thats it.

No, I'd do neither.

In other words, Cutler + this defense as is can be great.

But Cutler + the defense without Rhodes or Revis will not be great.

The Jets would be closer to the Bengals than the Steelers. So what's the point? The Jets will have a franchise QB and a defense that can't get it done.

Rex Ryan & Tanny's main order of business was fixing the secondary after they got Scott. Seriously. In 2 successive moves the Jets signed Leonhard & Lito. The secondary is set, but now people what to screw it up.

QB

DE

CB

LT

These are the 4 most important positions on the team according to the NFL & NFLPA. The Jets are hurting themselves and a championship caliber defense by getting rid of the franchise CB to get a franchise QB. It ends up a Zero sum gain.

Agreed.

Revis is already a top 5 CB and may be the best CB in the NFL at some point. CB is a much more important position than S.

In this trade scenario, the answer is:

YES to Rhodes

NO to Revis

We still have major holes at QB, WR, TE, OT, OG, DE, backup NT, CB2, and SS. Forfeiting multiple draft picks in our situation is beyond stupid.

Huh?

How can you possible say the Jets have "major" holes at OT, CB2 and SS? The Jets just signed Leonhard and traded for Lito (giving him a new deal). The Jets are not drafting for those positions. Plus, the Jets have Woody for a multi-year deal and he was good at RT.

Please explain.

LOL i do not see safety on your list

Safety isn't in the top 4, of course, but that is the NFL/NFLPA priority, not Rex's.

Rex is trying to build a championship defense with Rhodes & Revis as the cornerstone. They just signed Leonhard & traded for Lito. The secondary is fixed, but now you want to screw it up.

Great, the Jets will have a franchise QB and a ****ty secondary which will put more pressure on the front 7.

In other words, Cutler + this defense as is can be great.

But Cutler + the defense without Rhodes or Revis will not be great.

The Jets would be closer to the Bengals than the Steelers. So what's the point? The Jets will have a franchise QB and a defense that can't get it done.

Rex Ryan & Tanny's main order of business was fixing the secondary after they got Scott. Seriously. In 2 successive moves the Jets signed Leonhard & Lito. The secondary is set, but now people what to screw it up.

Scheming is wayyyy more important than talent.

If Rex is worth anything, I think he'd find a way to make it work without the great Kerry Rhodes. :roll:

Archived