Leon Washington looking for at least $4 million a year ~ PFT.com

Leon is an RFA in '10

offer him $2 mill per for 4

if he turns it down, tender him as RFA with a 1st round pick attached

TJ is making $2.5 mill

giving Leon $ 4 mill means you're giving the backup a 60% raise over the starter

not good strategy no matter how much you love Leon

PHUck TJ he is a dime a dozen RB

Leon is Legit.....pay the man

No.

Leon is an UFA in '10. He only becomes a RFA in 2010 if 2010 is an uncapped year.

hmmmm

that does makes things trickier for tanny. You really don't want to let Leon get anywhere near FA, once he gets close he'll want to test the market, and his price immediately goes up

but

unless my numbers are wrong as well, giving him more $ than, and ignoring the unhappy guy who also went to the pro-bowl and lead the AFC in rushing, will lead to nasty things, and this team is being built on a "defense and running game wins" model, so that wouldn't be good either

times like this I'm glad I'm not the GM

PHUck TJ he is a dime a dozen RB

Leon is Legit.....pay the man

I really don't get all the TJ disrepsect around here. He's no LT but he's no bum either. I agree that RB's are the easiest to replace, and they can start sooner than most positions, but are you saying pay Leon as a starter and actually start him and give him 25 carries a game ?

cuz TJ will shoot his way out of town if Leon gets starter money

hmmmm

that does makes things trickier for tanny. You really don't want to let Leon get anywhere near FA, once he gets close he'll want to test the market, and his price immediately goes up

but

unless my numbers are wrong as well, giving him more $ than, and ignoring the unhappy guy who also went to the pro-bowl and lead the AFC in rushing, will lead to nasty things, and this team is being built on a "defense and running game wins" model, so that wouldn't be good either

times like this I'm glad I'm not the GM

That's why Tanny started the negotiations with Leon. He did the same with Thomas, Rhodes and Cotchery. They were all entering their final year of their rookie contract.

If the Jets don't re-sign Leon this year and 2010 has a cap, Leon will hit the open market. The Jets may have to franchise him just to keep him.

And on your point of TJ v. Leon, TJ has no leg to stand on. He pocketted $13 million his 1st 2 seasons and is making $900K this year. He also has another year left on his contract. Leon will be an UFA, so it makes sense to extend Leon without regard to TJ's situation.

That's why Tanny started the negotiations with Leon. He did the same with Thomas, Rhodes and Cotchery. They were all entering their final year of their rookie contract.

If the Jets don't re-sign Leon this year and 2010 has a cap, Leon will hit the open market. The Jets may have to franchise him just to keep him.

And on your point of TJ v. Leon, TJ has no leg to stand on. He pocketted $13 million his 1st 2 seasons and is making $900K this year. He also has another year left on his contract. Leon will be an UFA, so it makes sense to extend Leon without regard to TJ's situation.

OK, so the cap numbers I looked up don't tell the whole story

If you do a deal with a guy who doesn't have any leverage you have to expect to do another one as soon as he gets some. Leon's in kind of a rough spot as far as his age and the status of the CBA go, but that's not our problem.

How does Leon not have leverage?

He becomes an UFA after this year. It's like the Ravens with Bart Scott. They tried to re-sign him in the last year of his contract. When that didn't happen he it the open market.

Leon's leverage is, "pay me now or compete with other teams in trying to sign me when I hit the open market."

How does Leon not have leverage?

He becomes an UFA after this year. It's like the Ravens with Bart Scott. They tried to re-sign him in the last year of his contract. When that didn't happen he it the open market.

Leon's leverage is, "pay me now or compete with other teams in trying to sign me when I hit the open market."

He becomes a restricted free agent after this year. You keep referring to 2010 being uncapped as a development that may occur when in fact it is the status quo. Unrestricted free agency after this year is leverage that he simply does not have right now.

He becomes a restricted free agent after this year. You keep referring to 2010 being uncapped as a development that may occur when in fact it is the status quo. Unrestricted free agency after this year is leverage that he simply does not have right now.

Only if its an uncapped year. As you correctly note, as it currently stands, 2010 will be uncapped. I have a gut feeling that there will be a new CBA before 2010 NFL year, so, thus, Leon will be an UFA.

And guess what? As evidence of his push to re-sign Leon, Tanny likely feels the same way. Or he could take Aten's approach: "Well, 2010 is uncapped so I won't try to re-sign him, but if a new CBA's in place ... **** we're ****ed on Leon."

Only if its an uncapped year. As you correctly note, as it currently stands, 2010 will be uncapped. I have a gut feeling that there will be a new CBA before 2010 NFL year, so, thus, Leon will be an UFA.

And guess what? As evidence of his push to re-sign Leon, Tanny likely feels the same way. Or he could take Aten's approach: "Well, 2010 is uncapped so I won't try to re-sign him, but if a new CBA's in place ... **** we're ****ed on Leon."

It doesn't matter how you assume the CBA will be resolved because either way the present uncertainty is not in his favor.

Second part is dumb. We can have ongoing talks and prepare for both possibilities without acting on anything until we have a better idea of what's going to happen. It's not like a CBA is going to materialize out of thin air without notice.

Leon is one of the few players I really couldn't stand seeing in another uniform.

Leon is one of the few players who would make me consider following the team he goes to instead of the Jets.

Well ... at least for at least a few minutes.

TJ was paid a ridiculous amount of money for the past 2 years, and he didn't even show up the season before last. Last season he did run well I admit, but he was still more than adequately paid for it.

I'd say Leon is a bargain at that price, and I suspect in 2 years, TJ will be gone, Leon will be the full time starter, and the right thing to do would be to tear that contract up and give him a raise, but right now that's all getting ahead of ourselves. Just give him the $4M per for 4 years now and see where we are in 2 years.

Archived