METS trade Church for Francour

Vudu

Cant find a confirmation. If its true, is this a desperate attempt to get power? I mean its not like Fran is just crushing the ball, but why else? I dont get it really. Church and RF wasnt our problem, he was good out there and he wasnt the worst bat in the lineup. Its an upgrade, but how much?

Oh boy.

Frenchy is probably the worst player in the league.

This is a really, really bad trade.

I like Church as a player, but let's face it, he might be the softest .280 hitter in history. I think Castillo has hit more hard shots than Church has this year.

I'm not crazy about the trade because I think the league has the book on Francoeur, which is don't throw him a strike, he'll swing at anything. You don't learn plate discipline at 25 on the major league level.

Like they said on SNY, it's more about a change in scenery. And if so, I think Church will benefit more from being away from Jerry (Moron) Manuel.

i just don't get the trade one bit. church is a good defensive outfielder and is a better offensive player than francoeur. where's the reasoning here? it's not even an upgrade. it makes no sense unless francoeur is just a cheaper player and it's the start of salary dumping.

Cant find a confirmation. If its true, is this a desperate attempt to get power? I mean its not like Fran is just crushing the ball, but why else? I dont get it really. Church and RF wasnt our problem, he was good out there and he wasnt the worst bat in the lineup. Its an upgrade, but how much?

Church always seemed to be in the doghouse. There was never a good reason for it that I could see. Church has won plenty of games for us this year with some clutch hits. I'd rather see him at bat than Wright with the game on the line. I can't see why he was traded.

I like Church as a player, but let's face it, he might be the softest .280 hitter in history. I think Castillo has hit more hard shots than Church has this year.

I'm not crazy about the trade because I think the league has the book on Francoeur, which is don't throw him a strike, he'll swing at anything. You don't learn plate discipline at 25 on the major league level.

Like they said on SNY, it's more about a change in scenery. And if so, I think Church will benefit more from being away from Jerry (Moron) Manuel.

Couldn't agree more. He'll kill us when we play the Braves.

Agreed. I can't stand his approach at the plate... the guy has never seen a pitch he didn't like. I read somewhere that he has an OPS+ of 88 over his last 2,000 plate appearances. Not good.

Agreed. I can't stand his approach at the plate... the guy has never seen a pitch he didn't like. I read somewhere that he has an OPS+ of 88 over his last 2,000 plate appearances. Not good.

his obp is under .300 this year. that's enough for me to know that he's gonna be a big rally-killer in our lineup. i guess the only positive i can think of there is that at least our team doesn't mount too many rallies for him to kill.

his obp is under .300 this year. that's enough for me to know that he's gonna be a big rally-killer in our lineup. i guess the only positive i can think of there is that at least our team doesn't mount too many rallies for him to kill.

The way we're hitting I'd be happy to just GET a rally going. :biggrin:

Church is 30. Francoeur is 25.

He's got better career numbers but has really fallen off the face of the earth the past year and a half.

It is a good move. Church is JAG. If Francouer can regain his form from 2-3 years ago, he could be a steal.

It is a good move. Church is JAG. If Francouer can regain his form from 2-3 years ago, he could be a steal.

Francoeur is a terrible hitter. His career OPS+ is 89, which is atrocious for a corner OF. The only two years he managed to hit above .260 (one of which was his ~250 AB rookie year), his BABIP was .337 - well above his career average - which means the increased BA was more likely the result of luck than any other factor. His walk rate is terrible, he K's a bunch, and his ISO power has decreased every year since he broke into the league.

I realize that he's still young, but the statistical trends do not look good for future improvement, nor does the ballpark he now calls home. His approach at the plate is simply awful and without some all-world coaching and/or a tremendous stroke of luck, he is going to continue to suck.

Archived