Rex Ryan's first HC gig

ZachEY

This is not an effort to anoint him anything just yet, but at the very least, Ryan is making teams who ignored him as a HC prospect for many years look very foolish.

Is the Ray Lewis Effect that strong that people just assumed he was a product of that.

Ryan has come in, and regardless of his trash talk, has proven to be a strong leader, powerful motivator, and most importantly, brought an attitude to the NYJ, a winning attitude, that they haven't had in a long time.

It's downright swaggerlicious.

Chris Collinsworth brought up this issue in the Giants-Cowboys pregame show.

CC pointed out that we've seen prior Ravens' DCs leave and fail, but it has been Rex who has been able to take the defense with him.

Rex is a defensive genious. People underestimated that for some reason.

Pettine has said on multiple occassions that Rex is like the Russell Crowe character in A Beautiful Mind. Rex just concocts stuff on the white board all the time Pettine says. Again, people don't listen.

I have no idea how good a HC Rex is or will be, but his defensive accumen is on par with Belichick's and Bill Walsh's offensive genius.

Chris Collinsworth brought up this issue in the Giants-Cowboys pregame show.

CC pointed out that we've seen prior Ravens' DCs leave and fail, but it has been Rex who has been able to take the defense with him.

Rex is a defensive genious. People underestimated that for some reason.

Pettine has said on multiple occassions that Rex is like the Russell Crowe character in A Beautiful Mind. Rex just concocts stuff on the white board all the time Pettine says. Again, people don't listen.

I have no idea how good a HC Rex is or will be, but his defensive accumen is on par with Belichick's and Bill Walsh's offensive genius.

I've said this on here before. Rex's dad was every bit as good as Belichick as a DC.

That was always a moronic argument. There's a very low ceiling as far as what Marvin Lewis or any other coach can really accomplish with Mike Brown cuffing one hand behind his back. We have Woody. Total nonstarter. Same thing with Nolan. Guy was a freaking receivers coach before spending, what, a whole year as nominal DC while 52 did his job for him?

This is not an effort to anoint him anything just yet, but at the very least, Ryan is making teams who ignored him as a HC prospect for many years look very foolish.

Is the Ray Lewis Effect that strong that people just assumed he was a product of that.

I'm not sure about other organizations, but Ray Lewis had nothing to do with why he lost the Ravens job to Harbaugh. Bisciotti didn't want Ryan's personality as the face of the franchise. It hasn't exactly turned out to be the worst decision, but Baltimore's D hasn't exactly been its old self this season.

That was always a moronic argument. There's a very low ceiling as far as what Marvin Lewis or any other coach can really accomplish with Mike Brown cuffing one hand behind his back. We have Woody. Total nonstarter. Same thing with Nolan. Guy was a freaking receivers coach before spending, what, a whole year as nominal DC while 52 did his job for him?

I completely agree with you.

But the media and naysayer fans kept on proclaiming that Rex was a good DC only because he had RayRay, Reed & Suggs and when old DCs left they sucked.

I completely agree with you.

But the media and naysayer fans kept on proclaiming that Rex was a good DC only because he had RayRay, Reed & Suggs and when old DCs left they sucked.

Got a link to any of those articles? (Seriously, I'm not being sarcastic...for a change).

The reason I ask is because one of Ryan's recognized strengths was that he's always had a Belichick-esque quality of adjusting after losing players (Thomas, Landry, McAlister...etc). It's one of the reasons that Harbaugh was adamant about bringing him back last season, on top of the fact that his players loved him.

Archived