Pacquiao-Mayweather bout closer

Bergen Jet

From ESPN:

The proposed super fight between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather is getting closer.

Mayweather agreed to terms for the welterweight title bout on Tuesday, multiple sources with knowledge of the negotiations told ESPN.com.

The proposed date is March 13, although there is a chance it could move to May 1, sources said. Mayweather, according to a source close to him, is OK with either date.

Pacquiao and Mayweather have fought recent bouts at catch weights. However if they complete their deal, the bout would be contested at 147 pounds, the maximum for a welterweight fight, a source said.

Top Rank's Bob Arum, who promotes Pacquiao (50-3-2, 38 KOs), was flying to the Philippines on Tuesday night to meet with Pacquiao and try to close his side of the deal.

Arum spent much of Tuesday getting open issues resolved in his negotiations with Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer, who represents Mayweather, sources said. Once Arum was able to do that, he left for the Philippines and is expected back on Monday.

If the HBO PPV fight happens on March 13, it would force the tentative HBO PPV fight between light heavyweights Roy Jones Jr. and Bernard Hopkins to move to another date. Hopkins and Jones both fight Wednesday and must win for their fight to go through.

The site for Pacquiao-Mayweather remains up in the air. There is interest from Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones to bring the fight to his new stadium. There is also interest from venues in Las Vegas, including the MGM Grand (which has hosted several Pacquiao and Mayweather fights), and the Superdome in New Orleans in hosting a fight many believe will break the all-time record for pay-per-view buys, which is the 2.44 million units sold for Mayweather's 2007 split decision victory against Oscar De La Hoya.

The fight moved front and center with heavy public demand for it following Pacquiao's dominant 12th-round knockout of Miguel Cotto to win a welterweight title on Nov. 14. The victory gave Pacquiao a title in a record-breaking seventh weight division and 1.25 million pay-per-view units.

Mayweather (40-0, 25 KOs), who has won titles in five divisions, came out of a brief retirement in September to dominate Juan Manuel Marquez in a fight that generated 1.05 million buys.

Just a few days after Pacquiao's win over Cotto, Arum and Schaefer began negotiations.

One wrench in the talks was the date. Arum, Schaefer and HBO wanted to slot the fight on May 1. However, Pacquiao announced his candidacy for a congressional seat in the Philippines on Tuesday. With the election scheduled for May 10, it rules out a May 1 fight unless Pacquiao runs unopposed. Pacquiao lost the election for a congressional seat in 2007.

If Pacquiao-Mayweather isn't finalized, Arum has talked about matching Pacquiao with junior middleweight titlist Yuri Foreman, which would give Pacquiao an opportunity to win a title in an eighth division. Foreman defeated Daniel Santos to win a 154-pound belt on the Pacquiao-Cotto undercard.

Schaefer has talked about bringing Mayweather to England to match him with Matthew Hatton in the event Pacquiao-Mayweather isn't made. Hatton is the brother of Ricky Hatton, the former junior welterweight and welterweight titlist whom Mayweather knocked out in 2007.

Dan Rafael is the boxing writer for ESPN.com.

It's going to be March unless they want to push it into Spetember. Pacman is running for congress in the Phillipines and the election is slated for May 10. Dead serious. I would love, love, love to see Mayweather be put in his place.

He's already run previously and lost, doubt he wins it this time. The other politicians are strongly against it and they wind up convincing the people that he's better off serving the country as a fighter than as a political figure.

I think the problem that a lot of general fans fail to realize is that Mayweather really isn't going to be put in his place. He's not dumb enough to try and throw with Manny, and as fast as Manny is offensively, Floyd is defensively. What you're going to wind up seeing is Floyd jabbing and moving back, not laterally like Cotto and Hatton tried to do and certainly not trying to bang with him. There isn't a trainer or fighter in any gym that I've been in that doesn't have Floyd winning this one by UD. This is going to be an extremely boring fight and it'll only give Floyd's detractors more to rip him for.

Everyone hates Floyd. And that's understandable, he's an easy fighter to dislike and he's taken pleasure in making himself the villain. But the fact still remains that he's the best defensive fighter out there since Pernell Whitaker and there's a reason why you don't hear people gushing over Sweet Pea when they reminisce about him. Just like he Floyd does, Whitaker knew how to make great fighters miss and outpoint them without having to knock them out when he was at his peak.

Speed kills, but both fighters have it in this matchup and when that's the case defense tends to prevail. I love Manny for what he's accomplished but the general public is really selling Floyd short on this one.

He's already run previously and lost, doubt he wins it this time. The other politicians are strongly against it and they wind up convincing the people that he's better off serving the country as a fighter than as a political figure.

I think the problem that a lot of general fans fail to realize is that Mayweather really isn't going to be put in his place. He's not dumb enough to try and throw with Manny, and as fast as Manny is offensively, Floyd is defensively. What you're going to wind up seeing is Floyd jabbing and moving back, not laterally like Cotto and Hatton tried to do and certainly not trying to bang with him. There isn't a trainer or fighter in any gym that I've been in that doesn't have Floyd winning this one by UD. This is going to be an extremely boring fight and it'll only give Floyd's detractors more to rip him for.

Everyone hates Floyd. And that's understandable, he's an easy fighter to dislike and he's taken pleasure in making himself the villain. But the fact still remains that he's the best defensive fighter out there since Pernell Whitaker and there's a reason why you don't hear people gushing over Sweet Pea when they reminisce about him. Just like he Floyd does, Whitaker knew how to make great fighters miss and outpoint them without having to knock them out when he was at his peak.

Speed kills, but both fighters have it in this matchup and when that's the case defense tends to prevail. I love Manny for what he's accomplished but the general public is really selling Floyd short on this one.

If this was the old brawler Manny I would agree. Manny has matured so much as a boxer that he isn't going to get caught in the jab/counter punch game at this stage in his career.

Pacman in 8 - TKO

If this was the old brawler Manny I would agree. Manny has matured so much as a boxer that he isn't going to get caught in the jab/counter punch game at this stage in his career.

Pacman in 8 - TKO

I think there's some truth to that. But the problem is that he's going to have to attack because Floyd is not going to come to him, and you really can't attack Floyd. Not so much because of how he'll counter, but more so because he simply won't engage him. I don't see any way this possibly ends in a KO for either side. Floyd will play this one probably more conservatively than he has any other fight. And that's saying a lot. Manny fights going forward and Floyd fights going backwards, it's just the way they are. And Floyd's most certainly fast and smart enough to stay away from Manny, despite how relentless he can be.

Floyd's not much of a jab and counter guy anyways. He relies more off leading and countering with his straight right and as fights go on he tends to figure out whether he wants to throw an uppercut or a hook behind it. He's far less reliant on his jab than he used to be. The more I think about it the more I think Manny's just going to be outboxed by a sizable margin. I'm actually pretty surprised that fight fans are selling him short this much. What he did to Marquez was simply remarkable even taking the weight difference into account. That was probably the 2nd most impressive performance of his career after the Corrales fight.

Momentum for Pacquiao-Mayweather megafight grows

2 hours, 37 minutes ago

Printable View

Return to Original

By TIM DAHLBERG AP Boxing Writer

LAS VEGAS(AP)—Promoters plan to go to Dallas to meet Wednesday with Cowboys’ owner Jerry Jones as the momentum continues to grow for a March 13 megafight between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Promoters Bob Arum and Richard Schaefer were to tour the new Dallas Cowboy stadium along with HBO Sports president Ross Greenburg and listen to a proposal from Jones to host the fight, a person close to the promotion said.

Other leading contenders for the fight are the MGM Grand hotel arena in Las Vegas and the Superdome in New Orleans, said the person, who requested anonymity because both sides agreed not to speak publicly during negotiations.

Neither fighter has formally signed for the fight, though both have agreed in principle to terms. Promoters are so confident it will happen that they are also scouting sites in New York City for a Jan. 6 press conference to formally announce the bout.

Most major fights in recent decades have been in Las Vegas, and Pacquiao and Mayweather have fought their biggest fights at the MGM Grand, which seats about 16,000 for boxing. Many in boxing still consider the MGM to have the inside track on landing the fight, but the trip by promoters to Dallas indicates that they believe Jones will make a competitive bid.

The anticipated demand for the fight brings both the Cowboy stadium and Superdome into the equation because they can seat far more people. The Dallas stadium could hold 100,000 or more for a fight, including seats on the football field.

The biggest gate in boxing history was the $18.4 million in tickets sold for Mayweather’s 2007 fight with Oscar De La Hoya, and promoters believe they can get a bid of $20 million and more from one of the three contending sites.

Jones said last week he was “still desirous of looking at what we can do here with the fight” at the new $1.2 billion stadium, which landed a Super Bowl, Final Four and Notre Dame home game before it even opened. The stadium’s massive high definition television screens would allow even those far from the ring to see the action close up.

Working against any bid by Jones is the lure of Las Vegas, where the biggest fights are usually held. Mayweather lives and trains there, while Pacquiao celebrated his win over Miguel Cotto last month by doing a concert on the city’s famed Strip.

Lost in all this is the fact that Roy Jones Jr and Bernard Hopkins are going to fight on PPV. WTF???? Who the hell is going to pay to see that? Jones was washed up 5 years ago.

Jones got thumped 2 weeks back by Danny Green in the first, badly. That fight is likely not happening now and Jones may finally hang up his gloves.

I don't think this is going to put a stop to things. They both have a legit beef, as I wouldn't want to have blood taken the day of a 12-round bout either. Olympic-style testing for a pro fight is a bit much, but then again there's certainly some cause for suspicion on the part of Mayweather's camp. In the end I think they'll come to a compromise, with some sort of concession that no blood will be taken like a week or two out. There's simply too big of a payday at this point for both guys for this not to happen. The projections are absolutely through the roof and I suspect Arum will get Manny to agree to something. And then of course when Mayweather beats Manny on nothing but defense, people will blame Mayweather for slowing Manny down through blood being drawn. It's inevitable.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't think this is going to put a stop to things. They both have a legit beef, as I wouldn't want to have blood taken the day of a 12-round bout either. Olympic-style testing for a pro fight is a bit much, but then again there's certainly some cause for suspicion on the part of Mayweather's camp. In the end I think they'll come to a compromise, with some sort of concession that no blood will be taken like a week or two out. There's simply too big of a payday at this point for both guys for this not to happen. The projections are absolutely through the roof and I suspect Arum will get Manny to agree to something. And then of course when Mayweather beats Manny on nothing but defense, people will blame Mayweather for slowing Manny down through blood being drawn. It's inevitable.

there aint no cause for suspicion. Just a bunch of crackheads who are trying to defame a good, humble, exciting fighter...quite possibly the best one this half of the century will ever see.

The Golden Boy, Mayweather camps are a bunch of hypocrites. They ask for something unprecedented as well as intrusive. They cried foul when fellow cheater Shane Mosely was asked to take those same tests, now want a double standard.

Theres been so much garbage, misinformation over the internet now- its really a joke how Pacman's reputation could somehow be hurt by this.

But I will predict the following will happen by next week:

A) the Mayweathers will grovel to Pacquiao and accept that fight. God knows these lowlives need the money after their troubles cheating the IRS

B) A public apology is in order so Pacquiao will have to drop his defamation suit against Camp Crackweather and Oscar "Cross Dressin' De La Hoya

C) The fight will be announced to coincide with Pacquiao readying to train at the Wild Card Gym

there aint no cause for suspicion. Just a bunch of crackheads who are trying to defame a good, humble, exciting fighter...quite possibly the best one this half of the century will ever see.

The Golden Boy, Mayweather camps are a bunch of hypocrites. They ask for something unprecedented as well as intrusive. They cried foul when fellow cheater Shane Mosely was asked to take those same tests, now want a double standard.

Theres been so much garbage, misinformation over the internet now- its really a joke how Pacman's reputation could somehow be hurt by this.

But I will predict the following will happen by next week:

A) the Mayweathers will grovel to Pacquiao and accept that fight. God knows these lowlives need the money after their troubles cheating the IRS

B) A public apology is in order so Pacquiao will have to drop his defamation suit against Camp Crackweather and Oscar "Cross Dressin' De La Hoya

C) The fight will be announced to coincide with Pacquiao readying to train at the Wild Card Gym

The new guy hit the nail on the head on all points. Welcome to the board.

there aint no cause for suspicion.

Of course there's cause for suspicion. To what degree is certainly debatable, but it's most certainly there. Steroids have been rampant in boxing this decade, and with the influence they've had in sports on a general basis as well, it's cause for raising eyebrows. Only a fool would argue that absolutely no cause for suspicion exists when you take into account his physical dominance through the ranks with the weight he originally started with. I love Manny, he's a great guy and a top-10, borderline top-5 fighter of all time, but it's just the way it is. It might not be fair, but welcome to 2010.

That being said, I think it's pathetic on both sides what's happened. As a lifelong boxing fanatic, the only feeling I have in regards to this is sadness. Though a Pacman/Clottey matchup isn't a letdown as a consolation prize either. Clottey presents just about as many matchup problems for Manny as Floyd does.

Of course there's cause for suspicion. To what degree is certainly debatable, but it's most certainly there. Steroids have been rampant in boxing this decade, and with the influence they've had in sports on a general basis as well, it's cause for raising eyebrows. Only a fool would argue that absolutely no cause for suspicion exists when you take into account his physical dominance through the ranks with the weight he originally started with. I love Manny, he's a great guy and a top-10, borderline top-5 fighter of all time, but it's just the way it is. It might not be fair, but welcome to 2010.

That being said, I think it's pathetic on both sides what's happened. As a lifelong boxing fanatic, the only feeling I have in regards to this is sadness. Though a Pacman/Clottey matchup isn't a letdown as a consolation prize either. Clottey presents just about as many matchup problems for Manny as Floyd does.

that'll be a war...Clottey doesn't run like Floyd, thats for sure

btw u are right. I'm a big Pac-Man fan as any and no one should be above suspicion. But given the fact that Pacquiao alone is the one who keeping boxing even relevent these days, why should some punk-ass drug pushing, classless boxing family called the Mayweathers be allowed to slander someone without proof and act like a bunch of hypocrites? I say we are sick society here in America when a good guy gets treated the same why like the lowlifes in the NBA or MLB.

Jealousy. Envy. These people have no respect for the sport of boxing.

And i hope these revelations about Mayweather turn out to be true- that he was using lidocaine, a performance enhancing drug. That'll put the nail in the coffin in this guy's fraudulent career. Don't get me wrong, he is an elite athlete. But ultimately, unlike Manny, Floyd is just bad for boxing.

that'll be a war...Clottey doesn't run like Floyd, thats for sure

btw u are right. I'm a big Pac-Man fan as any and no one should be above suspicion. But given the fact that Pacquiao alone is the one who keeping boxing even relevent these days, why should some punk-ass drug pushing, classless boxing family called the Mayweathers be allowed to slander someone without proof and act like a bunch of hypocrites? I say we are sick society here in America when a good guy gets treated the same why like the lowlifes in the NBA or MLB.

Jealousy. Envy. These people have no respect for the sport of boxing.

And i hope these revelations about Mayweather turn out to be true- that he was using lidocaine, a performance enhancing drug. That'll put the nail in the coffin in this guy's fraudulent career. Don't get me wrong, he is an elite athlete. But ultimately, unlike Manny, Floyd is just bad for boxing.

I agree for the most part, but there's been whispers about Manny and roids in gyms for a few years now. Floyd Sr just happened to be the guy who didn't care about speculating on it in public.

That being said, I don't think there's much to worry about from a rep standpoint. Most fans and the general sports world have taken Pac's side on this and aren't calling for his head or anything.

Honestly, I'm a huge Floyd fan and have been for a long time, but the only way he doesn't come out of this looking like a complete buffoon/coward is if he fights Williams, Cintron, or the Mosley/Berto winner. If Golden Boy actually has the nerve to try and charge 50 bucks for a fight with Paul Malinaggi or Alvarez, this will wind up being the first Mayweather fight that I didn't catch live in ages.

Archived