The New Rules - What Ya Think?

The Gun Of Bavaria

The Toronto Ottawa game ended in a shootout which makes a lot of (self proclaimed) "hockey purists" here unhappy. I guess they play a 5 minute 4 skaters on 4 period, then go to a shootout.

The hp's would rather see games end the way the juniors here end a tie after regulation.

Sudden death

5 minute 4 on 4.

5 minute 3 on 3

5 minute 2 on 2

5 minute 1 on 1

5 minute goalie battle

:D

I understand these rarely get past the 3 on 3 stage.

d

I really like the changes to open up the ice and reduce interference-one thing it will put a premium on specialty teams

I agree with not liking the shootout to determine a winner- have them play 20 minute sudden death and then a tie if no score being a hockey purist

The NHL should have scrapped the 2 line pass years ago.

Did this really happen? I am not a hockey guy but based on my expert video game hockey play I have long said:

1. Get rid of offsides

2. Get rid of the 2 line pass rule

I want to run for commish!

the way the juniors here end a tie after regulation.

Sudden death

5 minute 4 on 4.

5 minute 3 on 3

5 minute 2 on 2

5 minute 1 on 1

5 minute goalie battle

:D

I understand these rarely get past the 3 on 3 stage.

d

Are you serious, or am I falling for an elaborate hoax?

That would be pretty wild if they got past the 3 on 3 stage.

What happens when its just goalies? They duke it out at center ice? :lol:

Or is it a life-size game of air hockey until one shoots it in? Ron Hextall would've been great at that!

Are you serious, or am I falling for an elaborate hoax?

That would be pretty wild if they got past the 3 on 3 stage.

What happens when its just goalies? They duke it out at center ice? :lol:

Or is it a life-size game of air hockey until one shoots it in? Ron Hextall would've been great at that!

No, no... that is how they do it in juniors. I've actually seen it.

the new rules are alright. I was in the camp of "I'll believe it when I see it", and I've seen it. I'm impressed. Now, lets see them keep it up for the rest of this season.

All I know is that I'm psyched for Hockey Night In Canada tomorrow night. How can you beat CBC, Bob Cole, Harry Neal, Ron McLean, and Don Cherry?

No, no... that is how they do it in juniors. I've actually seen it.

the new rules are alright. I was in the camp of "I'll believe it when I see it", and I've seen it. I'm impressed. Now, lets see them keep it up for the rest of this season.

All I know is that I'm psyched for Hockey Night In Canada tomorrow night. How can you beat CBC, Bob Cole, Harry Neal, Ron McLean, and Don Cherry?

Thanks SS, yeah that's how they do it in the Juniors.

The HNIC crew is very good at what they do. CBC's only available in your most northern cities, right?

d

HOCKEY NIGHT IN CANADA is EASILY the best coverage of the NHL in North America, period.

Doug you are correct, only us 'northerners' in the US receive CBC and I'd be willing to bet that it's primarily in traditional american hockey markets.

I unfortunately have DirecTV which does not offer it but am able to pick it up via antenna out of Windsor, Ontario.

If a Wings game is on CBC, I watch it on there, period. Even if they aren't playing, I'll watch it for grapes.

HOCKEY NIGHT IN CANADA is EASILY the best coverage of the NHL in North America, period.

Doug you are correct, only us 'northerners' in the US receive CBC and I'd be willing to bet that it's primarily in traditional american hockey markets.

I unfortunately have DirecTV which does not offer it but am able to pick it up via antenna out of Windsor, Ontario.

If a Wings game is on CBC, I watch it on there, period. Even if they aren't playing, I'll watch it for grapes.

Grapes (Don Cherry) is a piece of work. A total celeb when he struts around the streets here on game days.

d

g_cherry_i.jpg

I like the new "Kung Fu" rule, which allows any player to kick any other player in the head for any reason whatsoever. It'll take a bit of getting used to, but in the long run I think it'll be widely adopted by hockey fans and ultimately speed up pace of the game. Thumbs up to the regulation commitee for this one.

hockey.jpg

I think the new rules are excellent. The scoring seems to be up and the games look like they are going at a much quicker pace. The refs are doing a good job of letting the players know that they can't clutch and grab like they used to and are calling penalties when they do. My favorite change is getting rid of the 2-line pass rule. I always thought that rule was ridiculous and it really does help the game become more exciting.

• 4 weeks later...

Hate the new rules. If you get up to take a piss you'll miss 3 goals. I like the old way where a little stickhandling and an actual shot was needed to score a goal. There too much nonsense going IMO. Think they'd change the rules if the Mets, Jets or Nets ever became dominant?

Hate the new rules. If you get up to take a piss you'll miss 3 goals. I like the old way where a little stickhandling and an actual shot was needed to score a goal. There too much nonsense going IMO. Think they'd change the rules if the Mets, Jets or Nets ever became dominant?

I'm with you, buddy. I like defensive games. I like goalie duels. Give me a low-scoring hockey game any day of the week. These new rules suck for goalies.

Archived