What about this regarding Holmes trade?

Jetlag

If we don't resign Holmes and he leaves for another team after having a good season here, then we get a compensatory pick. Now the Bengals got a 3rd for Housh so that's pretty similar. So there is a chance that this could possibly occur:

Pitt: Jets 2010 5th round pick

Jets: Santonio Holmes (12 reg games + postseason) + 2011 3rd round pick

Don't think that Mike T didn't consider that.

In fact the Jets will probably let one of Braylon or Santonio go and sign the other. Either way we'll most likely snag an extra 3rd in 2011. This trade gets better and better.

That only happens if the Jets lose more UFA's than they sign (from other teams) next year - but yeah, unless Santonio completely implodes, that's the "worst case" scenario.

It was a killer trade.

I used to know a lot this CBA type stuff off the top of my head, but doesn't a team only get a comp pick if they lose a UFA that they drafted (or signed as a rookie FA) themselves? Can anyone remember a team getting a comp pick for a player they acquired through trade or free agency?

Thought I remembered reading that somewhere.

I used to know a lot this CBA type stuff off the top of my head, but doesn't a team only get a comp pick if they lose a UFA that they drafted (or signed as a rookie FA) themselves? Can anyone remember a team getting a comp pick for a player they acquired through trade or free agency?

Well that would change things then but if not this would work out great.

Yes, you get comp picks for FA losses. NE lost Izzo, Gaffney and Lamont Jordon which calculated into the number of 2010 comp picks.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d81716904&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Yes, you get comp picks for FA losses. NE lost Izzo, Gaffney and Lamont Jordon which calculated into the number of 2010 comp picks.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d81716904&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

That's fine. I just thought I read it somewhere a while back but couldn't find anything online to back it up.

It makes a good case for signing a bunch of players one season to 1 or 2 year deals & then letting them all hit free agency. Then again, most of them are late 6th or late 7th round picks and they can't be traded, so 80% of them turn into nothing anyway.

That's fine. I just thought I read it somewhere a while back but couldn't find anything online to back it up.

It makes a good case for signing a bunch of players one season to 1 or 2 year deals & then letting them all hit free agency. Then again, most of them are late 6th or late 7th round picks and they can't be traded, so 80% of them turn into nothing anyway.

I believe comp is based on what they sign for with the new team. If Holmes has a good 12 games, he'll get a pretty fat contract from somebody so he should net no lower than a 4th, which makes him essentially a free rental.

The most likely scenario that I foresee is Holmes and Edwards are basically auditioning against each other. The better of the two will likely be rewarded with a long term contract with us, the other will probably be tagged and traded. JMO.

With the current CBA expiring all this could change. I'm sure this compensation point will be discussed. ::GoJets:

The most likely scenario that I foresee is Holmes and Edwards are basically auditioning against each other. The better of the two will likely be rewarded with a long term contract with us, the other will probably be tagged and traded. JMO.

Let's say we draft CB in the 1st round, couldn't we find a way to sign both BrayBray and SoHo and trade Cro.

I believe comp is based on what they sign for with the new team. If Holmes has a good 12 games, he'll get a pretty fat contract from somebody so he should net no lower than a 4th, which makes him essentially a free rental.

That much I think everyone understands. That whether through production or contract size or both, better or more in-demand players yield higher comp picks starting with the end of round 3. If Holmes leaves via FA, we'd absolutely get a 3rd not a 4th unless he is a total bust for his new team in 2011...unless we sign some new FA's of our own.

In the end, since Tannenbaum is always active in FA, we're generally unlikely to see compensatory picks here.

But that part of the CBA really, REALLY needs to be addressed. You can't have a superstar UFA loss wiped out by signing a marginal UFA. It's also pretty arbitrary WHICH of a team's comp picks get wiped out by which new UFA acquisition. If a team is due a 3rd and a 4th and a 6th and acquires a below-average player for fairly cheap dollars, who decides which compensatory pick gets wiped out. Because that happened to us in 2005. We lost Jordan, McKenzie, and Becht to free agency. Got a 3rd for Jordan but a 3rd or 4th we would have had for McKenzie got wiped out by Barry Gardner and we kept our 6th.

So where was I going with this?

Oh yeah. We're not getting any compensatory picks unless someone locks Tannenbaum in a room with no telephone on 3/1/2011 and doesn't let him out until all the available FA's have signed elsewhere.

If we don't resign Holmes and he leaves for another team after having a good season here, then we get a compensatory pick. Now the Bengals got a 3rd for Housh so that's pretty similar. So there is a chance that this could possibly occur:

Don't think that Mike T didn't consider that.

In fact the Jets will probably let one of Braylon or Santonio go and sign the other. Either way we'll most likely snag an extra 3rd in 2011. This trade gets better and better.

It would actually be an extra 3rd in 2012; the 2011 draft would happen in the year that Holmes or Braylon get their FA deal, and you get the comp picks the next season

Archived