Leon on the Fan with Joe & Evan

THE ILK

Leon was one of my favorites when he was here, and I think he is a HELL of a football player, but I really don't give a sh1t that he is gone.

He is 29 years old (or will be next season), seeking $4M or more per year, and plays the hands-down most easily replaced position on the football field. Not to mention he didn't play a single game after Week 6 last year and we made the AFC championship game without him. The Jets will be fine post-Leon.

Most importantly, we have to resign Darrelle Revis, Nick Mangold, D'Brickashaw Ferguson and David Harris to new deals all within the next 2 seasons. All of them are far more important to the team and play significantly harder to replace positions. Sad to see you go Leon but the NFL is a business and letting you go was DEFINITELY a good business decision.

Leon was one of my favorites when he was here, and I think he is a HELL of a football player, but I really don't give a sh1t that he is gone.

He is 29 years old (or will be next season), seeking $4M or more per year, and plays the hands-down most easily replaced position on the football field. Not to mention he didn't play a single game after Week 6 last year and we made the AFC championship game without him. The Jets will be fine post-Leon.

Most importantly, we have to resign Darrelle Revis, Nick Mangold, D'Brickashaw Ferguson and David Harris to new deals all within the next 2 seasons. All of them are far more important to the team and play significantly harder to replace positions. Sad to see you go Leon but the NFL is a business and letting you go was DEFINITELY a good business decision.

I agree with all of this.

But I don't agree with smearing the guy on the way out the door.

Most people here (as they should) care far more about the name on the front of the jersey compared to the name on the back. When you are here, they will turn a blind eye to anything that could possibly be perceived negative about you and focus on your positive traits. Once the name on the front of the jersey changes, the gloves come off and things that were swept under the rug in the past come to the surface.

While I haven't bashed Leon once, nor do I intend to, the above is true with many fans of any team/city.

Their online streaming used to beat that to death. I stopped listening after Francessa repeated himself for the 56,438 time
Yeah I don't think they play it online anymore either, but Francessa still repeats himself constantly. ;)

I never said a bad thing about the guy. I just don't understand why Jets fans adored this guy. I get the whole under sized over achiever thing. For me it all started when Jets fans claimed we'd be better off giving him the majority of the carries over Thomas Jones. I never understood the love affair.

Most people here (as they should) care far more about the name on the front of the jersey compared to the name on the back. When you are here, they will turn a blind eye to anything that could possibly be perceived negative about you and focus on your positive traits. Once the name on the front of the jersey changes, the gloves come off and things that were swept under the rug in the past come to the surface.

While I haven't bashed Leon once, nor do I intend to, the above is true with many fans of any team/city.

Spot on, and it was never more true when Pennington signed on with the fish. The trolls, aka fish fans, were relentless in their bashing of Pennington when he was our QB...in fact, one of the posters had Chad dressed up in traction. As soon as he started winning games for them, he was the second coming.

Not in my eyes, she posted a stupid comment on twitter, Revis and Washington told her to take it off and she did.

She comes across as a little bitter, but I did not trash her for it.

it was a stupid thread started by an idiot poster saying somebody should put a muzzle on Leon's wife

Not far off.

Both flashed. Neither lived up to the hype. Each have been injured in the worst possible way respective to their positions.

Now if only Leon would win the comeback player of the year award a few times. :P

He is 29 years old (or will be next season), seeking $4M or more per year, and plays the hands-down most easily replaced position on the football field.

Most importantly, we have to resign Darrelle Revis, Nick Mangold, D'Brickashaw Ferguson and David Harris to new deals all within the next 2 seasons

The deal - plain and simple. I'd love to have Feely, Faneca, TJ, and Leon back too - but we're soon going to write some big checks to the aforementioned and hopefully some good sized ones to a few new guys who earn their stripes as well. All of which are going to be harder to replace than the guys we've jettisoned recently. Leon was a class guy in my book and having 100% class guys on our roster is a nice ideal - don't know that it gets you past the 1st round of the play-offs though.

There are more than that. You're forgetting others whose deals expire by then, if they work out for us:

Antonio Cromartie

Santonio Holmes

Braylon Edwards (though the Jets will likely pick one between him and Holmes at the most)

Brodney Pool

Brad Smith (won't be a blockbuster but won't be the league minimum either)

Unfortunately there isn't enough money under the cap for $4M-ish for Leon. Full-time offensive and defensive starters take precedence over rewarding a 3rd-down back/returner coming off a compound ankle fracture, who 6 months later still isn't cleared to cut while running.

Archived