Offense 2010, weeks #1-4... Relax!

slats

Last year the Jets opened the season 3-0 with Chansi Stuckey starting at WR. Over those three games, he caught 10 passes for 110 yards and a TD. The Jets replaced him with Braylon Edwards, who'll begin this year knowing the offense and the QB. I think we've upgraded there.

Sure it would be nice to have Santonio available for the first few weeks of the season, but if he were he probably wouldn't've been available for a fifth round pick. If at all. Right? Of course right.

Jets made moves to improve the offense, not just replace lost players. They'll still be a run first team, and Shonn Greene should be an improvement in the workhorse role over Thomas Jones. People may miss Alan Faneca now, but the Jets believe that either Ducasse or Slauson can be an upgrade over the OL's weak link last year. Both were road graders in school, either will get to develop between two pro bowlers. Let's not panic here.

Jets had one RB who could catch passes last season in Leon Washington, this year they'll have two. LT is a much more accomplished receiver than Leon will ever be, and should more than adequately fill the 3rd down back role. He's also a first rate pass blocker. The Jets have an added dimension in fourth rounder Joe McKnight, who the Jets -tellingly- lined up at WR a little bit on the first day of his rookie camp. Jets plan to get him involved.

This is the first year that OC Brian Schottenheimer gets to bring back his starting QB from the previous year. Braylon, Cotchery, Keller, and Greene are all veterans of the system. Last year Mark Sanchez was inexperienced by rookie standards, this year he's a veteran QB with a 2-1 playoff record.

Everything's going to be okay.

good stuff slats. You know my wife and I were just talking on the way home from the bank about two Palm Beach County receivers on this team David Clowney from Delray Beach and Santonio Holmes. Too bad Holmes isn't one tenth the young man that David is. And it's too bad that David doesn't have the talent that Holmes has. You have to like Clowney with all the stuff we've seen from him this off season slats especially on Twitter-a lot of that stuff doesn't make it to the main stream media because it's fluff in their opinion. But we know. I only hope some of what Clowney is rubs off on Holmes when camp starts

+1

Schotty's going to call the wrong plays and that's going to affect how the offense performs.

Again, this is the first time he's got his starting QB returning for the second year in a row. Since he's been here, it's the first time he has a legitimate stable of WR's. Last year there were times when the offense was clicking a little bit. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I know we get on him as fans, but the team -Rex- really seems to think he's got something on the ball.

Again, this is the first time he's got his starting QB returning for the second year in a row. Since he's been here, it's the first time he has a legitimate stable of WR's. Last year there were times when the offense was clicking a little bit. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I know we get on him as fans, but the team -Rex- really seems to think he's got something on the ball.

looked pretty good calling plays in December and January to me too slats

6 INTs against Buffallo. He was torturing Sanchez and us with his stupidity that day. Why would you call 30 passes? Did he think that running the ball 40+ times for over 300 yards was enough? It wasn't. We lost because of HIS stupidity.

No benefit for the doubt from me...Why haven't we had a top offense yet? If he was such a great coordinator, why haven't we had a #1 offense yet? Can't he coordinate one? The guy's playcalling has held this offense back more than anything in the history of anything, ever.

6 INTs against Buffallo. He was torturing Sanchez and us with his stupidity that day. Why would you call 30 passes? Did he think that running the ball 40+ times for over 300 yards was enough? It wasn't. We lost because of HIS stupidity.

No benefit for the doubt from me...Why haven't we had a top offense yet? If he was such a great coordinator, why haven't we had a #1 offense yet? Can't he coordinate one? The guy's playcalling has held this offense back more than anything in the history of anything, ever.

If by HIS you meant Sanchez I agree. Schottenheimer called too many pass plays, but Sanchez didn't have to keep throwing INTs. Those are on him. Besides, he didn't call 30 pass plays. I'm pretty sure that Weatherford's INT wasn't called by Schottenheimer. It was only 29! ;)

The Jets did have a top offense with Favre, before he got hurt. You want him to have a top offense with Pennington/Clemens, Thomas Jones/Barlow and Cotchery as his #1? Impossible. The offense has been as good under Schottenheimer as it was under Heimerdinger, Hackett or Hennig and that's despite their having HOF Martin, Pennington/Testicles Coles/Moss.

Again, this is the first time he's got his starting QB returning for the second year in a row. Since he's been here, it's the first time he has a legitimate stable of WR's.

He had Pennington in his first and second year as his starter and although Coles and Cotchery may never have been the elite core we have now, they were certainly "legitimate" when you look around the league.

Schotty has been very poor over years. Seemed to get it right towards the end of last season. I fear these knew weapons may put him mad again in the passing game, may take another Rex intervention before the end of the season.

He had Pennington in his first and second year as his starter and although Coles and Cotchery may never have been the elite core we have now, they were certainly "legitimate" when you look around the league.

Schotty has been very poor over years. Seemed to get it right towards the end of last season. I fear these knew weapons may put him mad again in the passing game, may take another Rex intervention before the end of the season.

I'm of the opinion that Chad sucked. Completing over 65% of his passes, but still averaging less than 7 yds/att? Awful. Sanchez managed a similar number completing just 53% of his passes. He gets on the same page as his receivers, and he'll be in that championship high-7's range.

I do hope they throw more than last year, but I don't think they'll go overboard.

i'm not a huge schotty fan, i don't know many people that are. but you're right, once rex put the clamps on him he did fine. just keep running the damn ball and set up the pass. and put some stick-um on braylon's hands.

I'm of the opinion that Chad sucked. Completing over 65% of his passes, but still averaging less than 7 yds/att? Awful. Sanchez managed a similar number completing just 53% of his passes. He gets on the same page as his receivers, and he'll be in that championship high-7's range.

I do hope they throw more than last year, but I don't think they'll go overboard.

Chad may have sucked, but it seemed he sucked more than ever under Schotty. The INT numbers were very uncharacteristic of Pennington.

Possibly Pennington's '06 INTs can be explained by the fact that he was coming back from an injury and playing his first full season ever as a starter?

Also, what did Rex do that fixed our offense? Give a rousing, possibly comedic speech? Changed the X's and O's?

Possibly Pennington's '06 INTs can be explained by the fact that he was coming back from an injury and playing his first full season ever as a starter?

Also, what did Rex do that fixed our offense? Give a rousing, possibly comedic speech? Changed the X's and O's?

he basically had three colors of code to let sanchez know what type of throws he could make. i don't know exactly what he did or said, just know the same as you do. unless they let you in on the team meetings.

he basically had three colors of code to let sanchez know what type of throws he could make. i don't know exactly what he did or said, just know the same as you do. unless they let you in on the team meetings.

Oh duh...were these cards flashed before the play, during the play, or....after the play?

Also, I believe Rex didn't do anything to the offense but tell Sanchez to stop turning the ball over. Maybe he explained ball control in the NFL. Maybe he showed Sanchez highlights of himself in college and told him to play like that.

Otherwise, nothing in the playcalling really changed. We still ran the ball and threw a wide array of passes (minus screens because there was no Leon).

Oh duh...were these cards flashed before the play, during the play, or....after the play?

Also, I believe Rex didn't do anything to the offense but tell Sanchez to stop turning the ball over. Maybe he explained ball control in the NFL. Maybe he showed Sanchez highlights of himself in college and told him to play like that.

Otherwise, nothing in the playcalling really changed. We still ran the ball and threw a wide array of passes (minus screens because there was no Leon).

lol, yeah him seeing rex play was inspirational. all i know is, they o started playing better after the report came out that rex stepped in. maybe he did just say don't turn the fing ball over.

the awful 5 wide with Richardson split out disappeared. It seemed like the shotgun spread in short yardage situations stopped too.

Archived