3-D Television

Bob

Not sure how good it'll be to start... Imagine it'll take a few years for the technology to catch up with the price and explode into mainstream use.. similar to HD cable and whatnot.

Do you have to wear the goggles in the house? Not sure I'd like that..

Not sure how good it'll be to start... Imagine it'll take a few years for the technology to catch up with the price and explode into mainstream use.. similar to HD cable and whatnot.

Do you have to wear the goggles in the house? Not sure I'd like that..

That's pretty much my take on it, too. I'm not an early adopter. I like to wait until things get cheaper and better. I'd love to find a demonstration of it somewhere, though.

That's pretty much my take on it, too. I'm not an early adopter. I like to wait until things get cheaper and better. I'd love to find a demonstration of it somewhere, though.

Is there a sony style store anywhere near you, they have demo units on the floor.

The biggest problem I see with this is, how often do we watch tv without really paying full attention to it? Sometimes I'll have a game on, but be tooling around on my laptop, sometimes I'll be in the kitchen making dinner with tv on in the background...

For all those occasions, you're still going to need to wear the goggles, or you'll have the fuzzy double image.

Want to have a Superbowl party? Better buy an extra 10 pairs of goggles.

This just doesn't seem like a practical product, and until we get into holographic tv's, you will always need the goggles.

Try googling samsung 3d. They have several models, and the glasses are interesting.

-Polarized glasses, not the green/red crap. But the glasses are powered and cost like 60-100 bucks. Not sure why.

- How does the tv send the signal at 2 diffierent angles? Theaters do it with 2 projectors.

-Related to the previous question, if the hdtv is 1900x1280, does the eye-angle-split cut your resolution in half? That would only be slighly better than dvd quality.

Anybody have this? Any idea if it's any good? I see the YES Network and DirecTV are planning to show Yankees games in 3-D.

I'd like to see that.

You should hurry up and get one. It will allow you to watch the Tigers kick the Yankees' ass next week in crystal clear 3D.

The biggest problem I see with this is, how often do we watch tv without really paying full attention to it? Sometimes I'll have a game on, but be tooling around on my laptop, sometimes I'll be in the kitchen making dinner with tv on in the background...

For all those occasions, you're still going to need to wear the goggles, or you'll have the fuzzy double image.

This just doesn't seem like a practical product, and until we get into holographic tv's, you will always need the goggles.

i don't think thats the case..

the glasses shutter and need batteries to create the 3d effect.. this allows for normal viewing

Very good point. That's pretty much how we live now, my TV is mounted just above my desk...

- How does the tv send the signal at 2 diffierent angles? Theaters do it with 2 projectors.

-Related to the previous question, if the hdtv is 1900x1280, does the eye-angle-split cut your resolution in half? That would only be slighly better than dvd quality.

You mention the active shutter glasses, so I suppose I'll explain for that. Basically, your glasses will alternate closed/open really fast so you don't notice anything. The two lenses will alternate status, ie. left eye closed right open, then left eye open right closed. Thus, you don't notice it but you are really processing two totally separate images.

A 1080p TV will still give you the full resolution, as it's sending one image at a time to each eye. The major difference between 3DTVs and HDTVs is the refresh rate...on an HDTV, you will have a 60 Hz (frames per second) refresh rate, while a 3DTV requires double that to give the same smoothness--because it needs to refresh individual images for each eye.

Hope that helps. Somebody correct me on whatever's wrong, I'm a little fuzzy on the actual numbers for frames per second/Hertz, but the concept should be correct.

In theory, shouldn't active shutter glasses give you the same image whether 3D or not? It will be slightly darker, but I think that's it. Passive glasses don't have half the refresh rate, but the red/blue screws up the colors. I'm less familiar with those, but I don't think they're viable.

Archived