David Harris worried about injury without new contract- NY Post

Kentucky Jet

Jets' Harris worried about injury without new deal

Jets BlogNYPOST.COM STAFF

Last Updated: 3:49 PM, May 13, 2010

Posted: 2:52 PM, May 13, 2010

David Harris knows what happened to Leon Washington, and he would rather it not happen to him.

Harris is one of a group of high-performing Jets looking for a new contract before this season starts. But unlike cornerback Darrelle Revis, who is hinting at a hold out, the linebacker isn't willing to go that far.

However, Harris did say he saw what happened to Washington, who did not get a new deal from the Jets, got seriously injured during last season, then was traded to the Seahawks, still without a long-term contract.

David Harris knows what happened to Leon Washington, and he would rather it not happen to him.

Harris is one of a group of high-performing Jets looking for a new contract before this season starts. But unlike cornerback Darrelle Revis, who is hinting at a hold out, the linebacker isn't willing to go that far.

However, Harris did say he saw what happened to Washington, who did not get a new deal from the Jets, got seriously injured during last season, then was traded to the Seahawks, still without a long-term contract.

While I agree with his concern, I'd like to reiterate what Villain has hinted at... the fact that Leon WAS offered a contract and he unwisely decided not to sign it. Thus, creating the predicament he was left in when he got injured... I resent that fact that this keeps getting left out in order to make the Jets FO look like they are screwing players over.

While I agree with his concern, I'd like to reiterate what Villain has hinted at... the fact that Leon WAS offered a contract and he unwisely decided not to sign it. Thus, creating the predicament he was left in when he got injured... I resent that fact that this keeps getting left out in order to make the Jets FO look like they are screwing players over.

Such integrity 28!

I think Harris is the best possibility for the odd man out...big money to a LB with multiple injuries just isn't worth it...Harris is good but he's our 3rd best LB now, and he's the only one who's ever missed a game to an injury.

I expect either Westerman or a draft pick in 2011 could take his spot and do fine.

LOL at all the Jets players whining about money now.

To be fair, it seems like they were being asked rather aggressively about it. Probably due to lack of anything else to write about at this point in the offseason....Guess they all got tired of telling us how much chemistry can be a concern.

Even in the Revis interview article, it clearly states that he was asked if he would consider a hold-out and he responded "I don't know, we'll see what happens". The writer of said article then decides he's going to make it seem like Revis said he's ready to holdout if a deal is not done by tomorrow.

The fact is, Revis said all the right things in that interview... As did Harris and Mangold. Neither of the 3 said anything that I take as complaining. Just that they all have played very well and have put a lot into this organization since being drafted, want to stay here, and hope they can get a new contract worked out sooner rather than later. Is that really such an unreasonable desire??

“Any time you get it done earlier, it’s always a positive,” Harris told NJ.com. “In this business, you never know what can happen with injuries. Leon’s situation was a bad situation. He hurt his leg on the last year of his deal and it kind of set him back a little bit. Nobody wants to be in that situation.”

Center Nick Mangold, also looking for a new deal, referenced Washington, too.

“You look at injuries and you look at what happened to Leon and you look at what happened to Kris Jenkins,” Mangold told the website on Wednesday. “Both are very likely to come back pretty healthy. ... So I know there’s opportunity to come back from injury.

"At the same time, you look at Kris, who has years (left) on his contract and he’s here. And you look at Leon, who didn’t. That’s difficult to deal with.”

The report says Harris is entering the final season of a four-year contract and has not started negotiating with the team.

“I’m still under contract for one more year," Harris told the website. "If I go out and do my job and stay healthy, hopefully everything works out.”

I don't blame him one bit. The next play could be the last play of any of their careers.

He has a good worry there. Doesnt want to end up like Leon. This should however let him know that negotiation and sometimes getting most of what you would like and not all would be better than getting hurt, then getting none, then getting traded and people look at your agent as the stupid one when you're the one who hired him.

If you're looking for 12 million yet can only negotiate 9 million then I really dont see the difference.

The difference is 3 million. ;)

Thanks for posting this, KJ. Harris is a big fave of mine. Bad ass to the hilt.

However, I don't think his agent is Keels. It'll get done.

I love how everyone loves to be a Jet now. Baha, they used to hang their heads in shame, but no more. I remember Mo Lewis (prior to Bledsoe injury) saying people made fun of him in a local diner. "The Jets sukk!" "Yes, I know. Can I finish my meal? Thanks." Poor Mo.

Real responsible journalism there. The Jets DID offer a new long-term deal to Washington. Leon refusing to sign it doesn't mean the Jets didn't offer him one.

Real responsible journalism there. The Jets DID offer a new long-term deal to Washington. Leon refusing to sign it doesn't mean the Jets didn't offer him one.
Whoever said the Post had anything to do with journalism? It's my very fun version of The World Weekly News. The New York Daily News headlines, they keep trying to trump them both lately. Tough feat.

Archived