Verno Gholston Ohio State highlights

bear

I've always thought that v.g. COULD be fine, but only if he puts in the effort and I'm still not sure he will actually put in the effort.

I dont think that the effort isnt there. This is Gholstons 3rd year in that lockerroom, and we've never heard of this guy slacking. We've heard that he seems lost etc, but thats really because he was. LB isnt his position. I think he'll produce at DE this year and will be a starter sometime before the completion of our superbowl run :-)

I dont think that the effort isnt there. This is Gholstons 3rd year in that lockerroom, and we've never heard of this guy slacking. We've heard that he seems lost etc, but thats really because he was. LB isnt his position. I think he'll produce at DE this year and will be a starter sometime before the completion of our superbowl run :-)

I don't know. I think a lot of what we heard - even if it was mostly anonymous players saying so - was that he seemed so lackadaisical and unemotional, it was like he didn't care. It may just be his personality or those complaints may have been totally valid. Whatever the reason, you'd think he could luck his way into at least half of 1 sack in 2 seasons. That's pretty damning.

I hope he does produce - I don't even care at what position. But as Jetsfan80 said, I'm not holding my breath.

I've heard a lot of different stories. I don't think it's lack of effort. I've said before that the problem seems to me that he doesn't go all out, he looks like he is thinking and by the time he figures out which way to run, the play is past him or over. Some of that may be comfort, some may be physical -slow change of direction. Part of that could be that he was playing out of position and suffering from information overload, but doesn't this just give him an excuse that he is "learning" a new position?

I don't know. I think a lot of what we heard - even if it was mostly anonymous players saying so - was that he seemed so lackadaisical and unemotional, it was like he didn't care. It may just be his personality or those complaints may have been totally valid. Whatever the reason, you'd think he could luck his way into at least half of 1 sack in 2 seasons. That's pretty damning.

I hope he does produce - I don't even care at what position. But as Jetsfan80 said, I'm not holding my breath.

This could be true. It also could be a bit of hatred as well. There are guys who have been playing and trying to prove themselves to get a long term deal or a bigger deal. Then you have Gholston looking like a bust yet is sitting on millions in gauranteed money.

I figure if you got to go anonymous about a sports comment then its not really worth listening to most of the time. Its usually just gossip.

But holding your breath on it is something that you shouldnt do. I just think that putting him back in a position that he was considered a top tier prospect at has to warrant some sense of cred.

This could be true. It also could be a bit of hatred as well. There are guys who have been playing and trying to prove themselves to get a long term deal or a bigger deal. Then you have Gholston looking like a bust yet is sitting on millions in gauranteed money.

I figure if you got to go anonymous about a sports comment then its not really worth listening to most of the time. Its usually just gossip.

But holding your breath on it is something that you shouldnt do. I just think that putting him back in a position that he was considered a top tier prospect at has to warrant some sense of cred.

That position is LDE on a 4-man line. Don't think there will be much opportunity for that on this team seeing as our base defense has a 3-man line and the duties are different (even if the position name "defensive end" is identical).

I've always thought that v.g. COULD be fine, but only if he puts in the effort and I'm still not sure he will actually put in the effort.

Dude. Are you kidding me?

We've been reading articles about the amount of effort and study he puts in off-the-field for the past 3 off-seasons. This is not his short-coming.

Effort is not the problem.

Physical ability is not the problem, either.

The problem is between his ears. Not in his chest as many people like to assume.

That position is LDE on a 4-man line. Don't think there will be much opportunity for that on this team seeing as our base defense has a 3-man line and the duties are different (even if the position name "defensive end" is identical).

I think we will see 4 down linemen at times, but I think in general our defense is going to line-up in crazy formations. I think Gholston will get 30 snaps a game as a situational pass rusher, that just happens to have his hand in the dirt. I think he will get moved around to create matchup problems...

Imagine:

Gholston - Pouha - Jenkins

Both Gholston and Jenkins at the DE positions against an undersized O-line... obviously you are going to have to double both Pouha and Jenkins... leaving one of your OT's out on the edge vs. Gholston...

I would think that Gholston wins that matchup in most situations... and that is what its going to be all about.... situations.

Add to that Jason Taylor or David Harris or Bart Scott or Calvin Pace...rushing the passer from the LB position on top of that. :)

After watching the vid I determined VG shows he can play.he has a motor,and an inside move. His first two seasons he was out of position. He had to thinnk too much. He will do allot better at DE than what some of you are willing to give him credit for

I think we will see 4 down linemen at times, but I think in general our defense is going to line-up in crazy formations. I think Gholston will get 30 snaps a game as a situational pass rusher, that just happens to have his hand in the dirt. I think he will get moved around to create matchup problems...

Imagine:

Gholston - Pouha - Jenkins

Both Gholston and Jenkins at the DE positions against an undersized O-line... obviously you are going to have to double both Pouha and Jenkins... leaving one of your OT's out on the edge vs. Gholston...

I would think that Gholston wins that matchup in most situations... and that is what its going to be all about.... situations.

Add to that Jason Taylor or David Harris or Bart Scott or Calvin Pace...rushing the passer from the LB position on top of that. :)

Perhaps I put it badly. When I said there isn't much opportunity, clearly I meant as a starter on a 4-man line. We definitely do use 4-man lines at times, but not as our base formation (except maybe in a random game for mixing it up purposes). There are generally 3 starting DL'men on the team. Just like if I asked you to name our starting LB'ers, you would generally name 4 players, not 3.

The one thing that might change all that is if, by some miracle, Gholston is that good - no, that GREAT - that he basically forces Rex to go with 4-down most of the time instead of the 3-down DL the team was tailored for.

I think the only situation you see Gholston in that is anything close to his Ohio State days is one where we have 3-4 personnel on the field, but have 4 guys with their hands in the dirt. Something like Taylor-Ellis-Jenkins-Gholston with Pace-Scott-Harris behind them.

Archived