Who knows anything about watches

Vicious89x

Not much, but here's a cool watch story. Watches plural.

My paternal grandfather bought a pocket watch from a street vendor in NYC in 1925. Downtown NYC, they'd sell jewelry from carts. My grandfather used to pay 25 cents a week until he owned it outright. My Daddy's family was poor, but you had to have a good piece of gold. The odd thing is, the waist chain that goes with it may be worth nearly as much. I've rarely opened it because if the lip that closes it gets wasted, it's done.

When my Daddy turned 15, he was given a watch by his father courtesy of the same vendor. Now all this stuff is hand-made, mind you. A ruby chip at 12, a ruby chip at six, and diamond chips at three and nine. Swiss made, it's probably worth a mint now. I do believe the jeweler's name is scrivened on the back. I'll never wear it, basically from fear that it would be my sh it luck to get robbed on the street.

My Daddy's birthstone is actually alexandrite, but it was more expensive than rubies back in the day, hence the rubies. It still is; but when he died in 1996, I had a ring of his fitted and put my birthstone (amethyst) and his birthstone (alexandrite) on either side of the diamond in the middle. A pinky ring he wore every day of his life, he busted the side diamonds from working hard. How the f do you crack diamonds though. Really?

He had another pinky ring that he got when he turned 20 (ruby) from his Mom that I know was from the street guy. It went to my turd brother. He pawned it like I knew he would.

So back to watches, my Mom couldn't wear one. Something about her heartbeat, they never kept time (heh). My Daddy bought her a beautiful watch encrusted with rubies when c ocktail rings and and c ocktail watches were in in the late 40's. He met her in June and wanted to mark it with a pre-engagement gift. OK, done. Good luck with your purchase.

Durability? Reliable?

I've had Seiko's my entire adult life. I love them. First one I got was when I was in the military...still have it and it still works. That was over 40 years ago.

Hot tip for you. Get yourself a watch tool (you can get them for five bucks on Ebay) to remove the back. The back of many watches have these notches which this tool can adjust to and unscrew the back. You can save yourself about $15.00 or so and you can change the battery instead of taking it to a watch maker/jeweler.

Invicta makes good watches too...I have three of those as well.

I've had Seiko's my entire adult life. I love them. First one I got was when I was in the military...still have it and it still works. That was over 40 years ago.

Hot tip for you. Get yourself a watch tool (you can get them for five bucks on Ebay) to remove the back. The back of many watches have these notches which this tool can adjust to and unscrew the back. You can save yourself about $15.00 or so and you can change the battery instead of taking it to a watch maker/jeweler.

Invicta makes good watches too...I have three of those as well.

Cool. I really like the automatic movement. But I love this look and invicta makes the same. Maybe I'm looking to mich into the name

• 2 weeks later...
I'm considering getting this one for myself. Just want to know if anyone has ever owned a Seiko

SKX007K2.jpg

I ended up buying this bad boy. Love it! Movement is great. Only gripe is that the second hand doesnt stop so it's hard to sync to an atomic clock. But it looks great and has a nice weight to it. Thanks to night stalker for the help.

That's why i got an automatic movement :)

I meant to post about this when you first made this thread - but I was probably a lurking Other at the time...

I had one of these, and I think my ex hid/stole it from me before I moved out. I loved it, though. Just an excellent watch, you made a good choice. Good luck with it!

I meant to post about this when you first made this thread - but I was probably a lurking Other at the time...

I had one of these, and I think my ex hid/stole it from me before I moved out. I loved it, though. Just an excellent watch, you made a good choice. Good luck with it!

Ah that's just lame. Thanks for the review though. Don't understand why people do things like that.

Ah that's just lame. Thanks for the review though. Don't understand why people do things like that.

If you have something nice, someone else always wants it...that's just the way it is. On those automatic watches...not keen on them, just remember to shake it up real good each night.

If you have something nice, someone else always wants it...that's just the way it is. On those automatic watches...not keen on them, just remember to shake it up real good each night.

That shouldn't be an issue. I'd wear it for an evening out, and it would be wound enough on it's own that it would still be running for a couple days. Might want to shake it a couple times if you're not going to wear it over the weekend or something, but it'll be running every morning without fail if you wear it everyday.

That shouldn't be an issue. I'd wear it for an evening out, and it would be wound enough on it's own that it would still be running for a couple days. Might want to shake it a couple times if you're not going to wear it over the weekend or something, but it'll be running every morning without fail if you wear it everyday.

I guess I like the old fashioned way of changing the battery...I have so many watches that having automatics would have been a pain in the ass...I have a ton of batteries and picked up a tool for removing the backs for 5 bucks.

I guess I like the old fashioned way of changing the battery...I have so many watches that having automatics would have been a pain in the ass...I have a ton of batteries and picked up a tool for removing the backs for 5 bucks.

This is what I have. I'll eventually need a new one when I get some more

http://www.amazon.com/Belocia-Automatic-Watch-automatic-watches/dp/B000DT8SY8

The reserve on this watch is about 24 hours. The natural movement keeps it wound pretty well.

Archived