Jenkins Still Uncertain For Mini Camp

flgreen

Jenkins still uncertain for minicamp

June, 10, 2010 Jun 10

2:26

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

Contrary to popular belief, NT Kris Jenkins still hasn't been cleared by the medical staff to participate fully in next week's mandatory three-day minicamp.

Jenkins, who underwent major knee surgery last October, said Thursday he was told by the head trainer that he's still a no-go for next week. It appears that Jenkins might be limited to individual and positional drills, with no 11-on-11 work. That, basically, has been his regimen in recent OTAs.

Jenkins said he's not sure why he hasn't been cleared, but he wasn't complaining.

"I thought it was the weight, but now I've got my weight down," said Jenkins, who is down to 380 after dropping 10 pounds. "So I don't know. They want me to stay healthy and get through the season and be effective. I'm going to trust them."

Jenkins said his goal is to be 360 pounds by the start of training camp, Aug. 1. If he meets his goal, he'll probably win his celebrated weight-loss contest with coach Rex Ryan and teammate Damien Woody.

The Jets are being ultra-cautious with Jenkins because of his value to the team and because a 380-pound man with a surgically repaired knee can lead to re-injury or other issues.

Funny, before the draft I suggested we deal KJ while he has decent value and all I received was every name in the book by the usual clueless homers who said I know nothing about football - blah blah - and here we are, the same 'ol routine, wondering when or if he'll suit up. Man, that sh!t gets old. We did that every week when his health was "good," if anyone remembers.

Big Jenks will always be a MRI waiting to happen.

(Bonus clueless homer comment: "ANY player can get hurt ... drool.")

He obviously isnt taking rehabbing the knee seriously or he would have had his weight down long ago. and it appears Rex is still surfing on last years ''feel good'' year. Rex Ryan has to make sure this fat ass is at least trying to rehab the knee. I mean the Jets dont pay the guy to be a lazy fat ass.

Funny, before the draft I suggested we deal KJ while he has decent value and all I received was every name in the book by the usual clueless homers who said I know nothing about football - blah blah - and here we are, the same 'ol routine, wondering when or if he'll suit up. Man, that sh!t gets old. We did that every week when his health was "good," if anyone remembers.

Maybe I'm one of the droolers, but I'm not seeing how Jenkins being fat and injured in mid-June is smoking-gun proof that a mid-round draft pick would be more valuable than whatever inevitably hobbled production Jenkins ends up giving the Jets this season.

I didnt see your previous post, but Jenks being an MRI waiting to happen is a bit off.

Jenks is a 9 year vet and 6 years he has played in all 16 games, including Jenks first year with us. Jenkins only played two years with us. This is his third here. You're stretching it and thats probably why people are in disagreement, because on top of the fact that you said to trade him because he's an MRI waiting to happen you're also asking to trade a top 3 DT in the entire NFL for a "decent" pick.

I wouldnt.

Maybe I'm one of the droolers, but I'm not seeing how Jenkins being fat and injured in mid-June is smoking-gun proof that a mid-round draft pick would be more valuable than whatever inevitably hobbled production Jenkins ends up giving the Jets this season.

I never said to deal him for a pick. I've lower expectations of unproven draftees than most people. Besides, that's too boring. I did say to package him with other expendables and get a quality vet. Not necessarily a defensive player either.

The idea is to move him before he proves to be officially done. Keeping him around for the purposes you stated when we played superbly without him is kinda like keeping Bobby Bonilla as a DH.

I didnt see your previous post, but Jenks being an MRI waiting to happen is a bit off.

Jenks is a 9 year vet and 6 years he has played in all 16 games, including Jenks first year with us. Jenkins only played two years with us. This is his third here. You're stretching it and thats probably why people are in disagreement, because on top of the fact that you said to trade him because he's an MRI waiting to happen you're also asking to trade a top 3 DT in the entire NFL for a "decent" pick.

I wouldnt.

I never mentioned picks, or a pick.

Once a body of KJ's size starts to break down, he's swiftly on his way out. He can't handle the load anymore, that's my opinion.

As far as rehab goes, how do you say "You can use it, but try not to put any weight on it" to a 390-lb pachyderm? I don't think he'll make it back to making a difference for our D.

Rex wants him around so he isn't the only fat guy in the house.

I never mentioned picks, or a pick.

Once a body of KJ's size starts to break down, he's swiftly on his way out. He can't handle the load anymore, that's my opinion.

As far as rehab goes, how do you say "You can use it, but try not to put any weight on it" to a 390-lb pachyderm? I don't think he'll make it back to making a difference for our D.

Rex wants him around so he isn't the only fat guy in the house.

No, this is the reason Rex wants him around:

HiJ9lYyj4uQ

Archived