6yr- 36million

visajets

I'm not picking sides here, I'm just trying to figure out how this action that Mevis has taken makes financial and economic sense.

So far, I'm not getting any cogent answers.

He feels like he will sit out and either get what he wants, or miss this year and get traded and then get what he wants.

It's obvious that's how he feels, by him costing himself the money.

If he's wrong, he may end up costing himself the next 4 years of career and money.

He feels like he will sit out and either get what he wants, or miss this year and get traded and then get what he wants.

It's obvious that's how he feels, by him costing himself the money.

If he's wrong, he may end up costing himself the next 4 years of career and money.

He's said that it's very important to him to be the highest paid player at his position.. If he sits out a year and there's no season next year he absolutely shoots himself in the foot.. He will be 2 years older and there's no way he will get the long term deal that he's looking for.. not to mention his childish behavior leaving a bad taste in the mouth of the other owners... he signed a contract... just honor it.

He's said that it's very important to him to be the highest paid player at his position.. If he sits out a year and there's no season next year he absolutely shoots himself in the foot.. He will be 2 years older and there's no way he will get the long term deal that he's looking for.. not to mention his childish behavior leaving a bad taste in the mouth of the other owners... he signed a contract... just honor it.

I have been saying that all along!

I'd sit on him for 4 years if necessary!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp07/news/story?id=2976504

He signed it why are we having this discussion? This would the 3rd year.

4 years/$20M Thomas Jones. Why didn't the Jets honor it?

5 years/$41M Alan Faneca. Why didn't the Jets honor it?

The teams have the power. Revis has a limited window where he has the hammer. I hear people bringing up the strike as if it means he should play, but I think the opposite. Why risk injury for the lousy million with a lockout looming? The tacked on years for big money won't be helping him if there is a lock out.

It could be more appropriate for Jets fans to engage in a somewhat different activity that starts with "sh" and ends with "ing."

Per a league source, former NFL defensive tackle Sean Gilbert is "intimately involved' in the holdout process. Gilbert, the brother of Revis' mother, once sat out an entire season in a contract dispute with the Redskins.

Gilbert's level of involvement wasn't clear in past weeks, especially when Revis seemed to ignore Gilbert's general view that a player in such situations should let his agent do the talking.

We're also told that Revis has no concerns about holding out beyond August 10, despite a widespread belief that he'll report by the last date for picking up his fourth year of credit toward free agency. As we understand it, Revis is fully committed to staying away until he gets a long-term deal with real genuine guaranteed money, not the D'Brickashaw Ferguson fiction that requires the player to get through at least one season without suffering a serious injury before beginning to unlock real dollars.

More here

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/01/sean-gilbert-intimately-involved-in-darrelle-revis-holdout/

I think unless Revis gets a ton of guaranteed money this year he'll sit out all season. He's already lost his 20 million buyout for next year and I don't see him taking a contract like Brick's. His Maneger/BFF John Gieger said on twitter "what was brick thinking". In this year it is difficult to impossible to guarantee a lot of money because of the lack of a CBA.

I thought they would get this done, since Revis is looking like he's getting bad advice and holding out for the impossible.

The teams have the power. Revis has a limited window where he has the hammer. I hear people bringing up the strike as if it means he should play, but I think the opposite. Why risk injury for the lousy million with a lockout looming? The tacked on years for big money won't be helping him if there is a lock out.

On the other side is the fact that Revis has already earned 16 million up to this point and has stated he outplayed his contract. If he underplayed his deal would he have given money back? His deal was record breaking at the time for a rookie and he held out 26 days for that one.

On the other side is the fact that Revis has already earned 16 million up to this point and has stated he outplayed his contract. If he underplayed his deal would he have given money back? His deal was record breaking at the time for a rookie and he held out 26 days for that one.

Spare me any bullsh*t about his rookie deal being record for the time. That holdout was 100% about the Jets demanding that he sign for an additional year when nobody else slotted near him was signing for 6. If he underperfored the deal would he give the money back? No. He'd be cut. It can be argued that Jones DID outperform his deal, but the Jets elected to take him for 3 for $14M rather than the 4 for $20 that they'd agreed to pay. They specifically stated they'd have happily taken Jones back if he'd agreed to tack on a few years for less money.

I don't care if the Jets want to hold his feet over the fire, but I don't begrudge the guy doing what he can to get what he's worth. A bunch of whining message board posters are on here crying because $1M is a lot of money. Too bad. I've heard this board cry a whole hell of a lot more than I've heard Revis whine.

"I think it's a fair contract," Schwartz said. "I think it's good for both sides. We expect Darrelle to be here for a number of years, and we're glad that the contract's behind us and we're looking forward to seeing him out on the field."

:rolleyes:

How much of the 36 million was upfront (signing bonus)?

So what would you have the Jets do? It's not so easy this year and it appears that Revis is going to holdout to get more then 15 million per year? As a Jet fan do you want to pay say 16 million a year to a CB? It also appears he wants most of it guaranteed and also a large signing bonus.

It's not as simple as yeah pay him. I agree he needs a raise but that Aso deal is retarded.

Spare me any bullsh*t about his rookie deal being record for the time. That holdout was 100% about the Jets demanding that he sign for an additional year when nobody else slotted near him was signing for 6. If he underperfored the deal would he give the money back? No. He'd be cut. It can be argued that Jones DID outperform his deal, but the Jets elected to take him for 3 for $14M rather than the 4 for $20 that they'd agreed to pay. They specifically stated they'd have happily taken Jones back if he'd agreed to tack on a few years for less money.

I don't care if the Jets want to hold his feet over the fire, but I don't begrudge the guy doing what he can to get what he's worth. A bunch of whining message board posters are on here crying because $1M is a lot of money. Too bad. I've heard this board cry a whole hell of a lot more than I've heard Revis whine.

"I think it's a fair contract," Schwartz said. "I think it's good for both sides. We expect Darrelle to be here for a number of years, and we're glad that the contract's behind us and we're looking forward to seeing him out on the field."

:rolleyes:

How much of the 36 million was upfront (signing bonus)?

5 Million signing bonus.

Up to this point he's earned 16 million.

they did honor it. they have the "right" to cut under the CBA. it's an implicit term of any NFL contract. Which is why it's up to the player and his agent to negotiate guaranteed money seperately.

they did honor it. they have the "right" to cut under the CBA. it's an implicit term of any NFL contract. Which is why it's up to the player and his agent to negotiate guaranteed money seperately.

... and he can hold out. What's your point? That's the way the system is set up. I don't want the Jets to cave and give him $16M per, but I'm not going to sit here and cry because the guy is trying to get the best deal possible. It's a business and you can't take it personally that the guy took a day off to make a point.

... and he can hold out. What's your point? That's the way the system is set up. I don't want the Jets to cave and give him $16M per, but I'm not going to sit here and cry because the guy is trying to get the best deal possible. It's a business and you can't take it personally that the guy took a day off to make a point.

not taking anything personally. sitting is breaking the contract - hence the $16k a day liquidated damages clause and loss of guarantees. will he be sued for breach? no, but it is one. when a team cuts, that's part of the contract.

the two are very different. i don't blame him for getting what he wants either but the people who say cutting is "breaking" or "not honoring a contract" or that it is "the same" as holding out, are wrong. not emotional about it - just stating the facts.

Agree and cant Revis or his agent see what this has done to the Raiders. Big deal they have the highest paid CB on the league they suck.

Aso's earning his money. The JaMarcus formerly known as the Raiders QB on the other hand....

I mean, who wouldn't take Gholston's entire contract and hand it to Revis to get him into camp?

Aso's earning his money. The JaMarcus formerly known as the Raiders QB on the other hand....

I mean, who wouldn't take Gholston's entire contract and hand it to Revis to get him into camp?

Gholston signed his contract just like Revis did. Gholston also restructered. Im all for paying Revis and getting him in camp. Its just the entire situation of greed that sucks.

Archived