Carmelo to the Knicks?

THE ILK

He wants to come, so how do we get it done?

I think Denver will be too stupid to just trade him.

He wants out, and they might just hold on and get nothing for him.

What will it take to get Anthony home?

Any deal would be centered around Gallo and Curry's expiring... probably have to include a future #1 and/or another player.

Denver lacks leverage in a deal, unless Melo is willing to sign an extension before being traded to another team. No team that would be in the mix is going to sell the farm for a rental.

Any deal would be centered around Gallo and Curry's expiring... probably have to include a future #1 and/or another player.

Denver lacks leverage in a deal, unless Melo is willing to sign an extension before being traded to another team. No team that would be in the mix is going to sell the farm for a rental.

I totally agree, I think we are in the top spot because of this. I don't see Melo signing with anyone, and that is a chance not many can afford to take outside of the Knicks, because he wants to play here.

I do think it will be steep, and we don't have a number 1 to trade until like 2014 or something.

So we proabaly will have to part with Gallo, Curry's expiring contrract and probably Chandler, plus some high picks.

But they have to do it!

Then we can aim for Parker next year, or try and work out another deal for Chris Paul.

I totally agree, I think we are in the top spot because of this. I don't see Melo signing with anyone, and that is a chance not many can afford to take outside of the Knicks, because he wants to play here.

I do think it will be steep, and we don't have a number 1 to trade until like 2014 or something.

So we proabaly will have to part with Gallo, Curry's expiring contrract and probably Chandler, plus some high picks.

But they have to do it!

Then we can aim for Parker next year, or try and work out another deal for Chris Paul.

I heard Houston is a possibility with all the young pieces they have. Would really like to see him go to the Knicks though.

I heard Houston is a possibility with all the young pieces they have. Would really like to see him go to the Knicks though.

Yeah but if he won't sign an extension with them, why would they trade all those young pieces for him?

• 1 month later...

Ny sports radio is infested with mental midgets who think the Nuggets should trade Anthony to the Knicks for a can of magic beans, a frisbee and $24.More likely he signs next summer.Of course though James Dolan might be one of these callers.

No matter-this it's what's wrong with salary caps in general and the NBA in particular. They don't accomplish anything; sucky teams run badly still suck with or without a cap. And the actual games are barely covered while the focus is this soap opera nonsense.

Knicks do not have the pieces to get a deal done- they can only hope Denver will not trade him and he walks next year- fat chance that will happen

It doesn't look like the Nets trade is gonna happen and he just said yesterday that he never asked for a tread so I'd say the whole free agency thing is still possible.

Just sayin'.

How long before we get a post about how he's going to Orlando for Vince Carter's expiring and one of the top 5-7 pure centers in the game, Marcin Gortat?

Well played.

In all honesty Donnie has to make a move for some picks. It would probably have to be in the same sort of vein that the Net trade was structured. But I still don't know if Curry and Gallo would be enough. They'd probably have to throw Randolph in as well because it's pretty obvious that they have no interest in going far over the luxury tax to become that much worse of a team. Maybe Gallo and Randolph with Curry's deal to another team? Either way it's at least encouraging that he's not too keen on anywhere except New York and Chicago. Especially considering the latter is content with what they already have.

Knicks do not have the pieces to get a deal done- they can only hope Denver will not trade him and he walks next year- fat chance that will happen

The one thing this doesn't take into account is that any team dealing for him is going to have the deal contingent on him signing an extension. Don't underestimate the fact that he has a ton of leverage. There's always a chance that a contender making a run says eff it and does it anyway, but I can't see that happening until very close to the trade deadline.

Well played.

In all honesty Donnie has to make a move for some picks. It would probably have to be in the same sort of vein that the Net trade was structured. But I still don't know if Curry and Gallo would be enough. They'd probably have to throw Randolph in as well because it's pretty obvious that they have no interest in going far over the luxury tax to become that much worse of a team. Maybe Gallo and Randolph with Curry's deal to another team? Either way it's at least encouraging that he's not too keen on anywhere except New York and Chicago. Especially considering the latter is content with what they already have.

The optimal move would be to obtain a 2012 1st rounder so they can move their #1 in both 2011 and 2013. I don't think they can get a deal done without involving a 3rd team, perhaps sending Chandler to a contender for a pick.

If they can acquire a 2012 pick, I'd have no problem sending the two #1's, Gallo, and Curry's expiring, but there's no way I would include both Gallo and Randolph. The likelihood is that if Melo makes it to free agency, he's signing with the Knicks. If Denver balks at that offer (which would include a $16m trade exception), then they deserve to lose Melo without any compensation next summer.

So for all the pretense about how the salary cap preserves competitive balance, susperstars will leave franchises like Cleveland, Denver and Toronto for big franchises like the Lakers, Knicks, Heat, Bulls and Celtics. So why bother with the pretense at all? Also mark your calendars for the day Kevin Durant's OKC tenure ends.And that will be covered more than any Finals series. All these maneuverings are nonsense simply to keep the havenots marginally interesting, but the reality is they have no shot long-term. Nets are at least lucky that they figure to move from a havenot to a have once they move to Brooklyn.

The optimal move would be to obtain a 2012 1st rounder so they can move their #1 in both 2011 and 2013. I don't think they can get a deal done without involving a 3rd team, perhaps sending Chandler to a contender for a pick.

If they can acquire a 2012 pick, I'd have no problem sending the two #1's, Gallo, and Curry's expiring, but there's no way I would include both Gallo and Randolph. The likelihood is that if Melo makes it to free agency, he's signing with the Knicks. If Denver balks at that offer (which would include a $16m trade exception), then they deserve to lose Melo without any compensation next summer.

I totally agree.

Why the hell did Donnie Walsh trade that 1st rounder for T-Mac? :angry:

No wonder Glen Sather will never get fired, the Knicks are always out stupiding him! :blink:

Why the hell did Donnie Walsh trade that 1st rounder for T-Mac? :angry:

He needed to dump Jeffries in order to sign two max FA's this past offseason. Also, if he hadn't, I don't think the Knicks would've been able to S&T Lee's after signing Amare.

Given the way things unfolded and the fact that you couldn't have predicted the Knicks would potentially be trading for Melo, it's tough to second-guess Walsh at this point.

He needed to dump Jeffries in order to sign two max FA's this past offseason. Also, if he hadn't, I don't think the Knicks would've been able to S&T Lee's after signing Amare.

Given the way things unfolded and the fact that you couldn't have predicted the Knicks would potentially be trading for Melo, it's tough to second-guess Walsh at this point.

Fair enough, but couldn't they just buy out curry to accomplish all that?

The Knicks have nothing that would entice anyone to trade their superstar to them. Knick fans are delusional if they believe otherwise.

The obvious point that you're missing is that Melo holds all the power in this situation... there's no way a team will top an offer of Gallinari/Randolph Curry's expiring, a 2011 #1, and a 2014 #1 if Melo refuses to sign an extension with any team other than the Knicks (or Bulls, who won't budge on moving Noah).

I understand he's his 5-yr rookie contract, but other than the fact that he was taken with the #3 pick, what makes Derrick Favors such a coveted player? The kid had an underwhelming college career and was terrible for the majority of the Summer League. Aside from having a much bigger frame, does he have more talent or upside than Anthony Randolph?

Denver can hold out for a better offer, but face the (very strong) possibility of either having to take less than that at the deadline, or losing Melo outright - maybe getting back a TPE as part of a sign-and-trade.

Another thing that helps the Knicks is that half of Curry's contract has already been paid, so while his cap number is ~$11m, Denver would only owe him ~$5.5m. If the Knicks send $3m to Denver as part of the deal, Denver is getting some very cheap cap relief.

Terrence Williams = Future stah I tells ya.

And let me introduce you to a young man you probably have heard of:

Only two young C's better are Howard and Bogut.

Obviously I'm not going to cite the one good player the Nets have. He is a nice player, but I don't see Paul and D. Williams yearning to play with Brook Lopez when there are better situations around the league..

Touche Knick fan. You win this round...but hopefully not 'Melo.

If anything, I'm fine with waiting for CP3 or Deron Williams to the Nets...whichever one picks us when they hit their FA periods.

CP3 is coming to NY, NY where Carmelo will be, unless they go with Parker.

Chris Sheridan tweeted that a source told him that the Knicks have a deal in place for a 2011 1st to be used in a deal for Melo if talks open up with Denver...

BT says that he hears from a separate source (not the Knicks) that it would be for Wilson Chandler.

• 2 weeks later...

I understand he's his 5-yr rookie contract, but other than the fact that he was taken with the #3 pick, what makes Derrick Favors such a coveted player? The kid had an underwhelming college career and was terrible for the majority of the Summer League. Aside from having a much bigger frame, does he have more talent or upside than Anthony Randolph?

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=5705466

You're gonna love the snippet about halfway down.

Archived