red yellow green 4 sanchez

bitonti

RE the statement "Sanchez needs the handcuffs taken off so he can _really_ run this offense"

my concern is it's a hope more than a fact.

Are REx and Schott hoping he's turned into Drew Brees in an offseason? Or did it really happen.

its ok to be a manager, don't make mistakes, run first, take the air out of the ball and let the D win. that's a good formula.

Are the coaches being greedy? Is Sanchez on "green" all the time and that's ok?

its ok to be a manager, don't make mistakes, run first, take the air out of the ball and let the D win. that's a good formula.

That's a play not to lose formula.

They had enough faith in the player to trade up for him and pay him $50M. They have to let him play.

That doesn't mean letting him call his own plays, and passing 75% of the time - but it does mean taking the handcuffs off.

Yes it is a formula not to lose, but if Revis comes back that is all Sanchez needs to do is not lose.

They had enough faith in the player to trade up for him and pay him $50M. They have to let him play.

He was only drafted one spot higher than Gholston. Where he was drafted doesn't matter, you take what you got. And what the Jets got is a QB who makes bad decisions and needs to be forced to take the low risk plays to avoid costing the team the game.

It was late, into a crowd of defenders, and in the middle of the field, i believe.. if memory is functioning, that was a horrible pass

Meh, I still disagree, when you look at where he put it, it was actually a pretty safe throw. That can happen anywhere on the field, when the ball hangs up in the air for that long it will probably get picked. The pass was by no means good, but it would result in an incompletion 9 times out of 10.

By comparison you look at some of the picks he threw last year, there was sometimes not a reciever in sight.

That doesn't mean letting him call his own plays, and passing 75% of the time - but it does mean taking the handcuffs off.

It's his 2nd year, I'm more than content to let him Pennington the bit out for a while. He has the physical tools that Pennington never had, so he'll always carry a mid range-deep threat which defenders must respect. I actually want to see him check down more and more. His defense will back him up and he has a top running game. He just needs to be smart with the ball and NOT kill this team and honestly, he looked the part on Monday night.

That 3-0 start created some real expectations, and the market plays a part, too. The hot dog story isn't a story in 25 other NFL markets. The spotlight shone 10x brighter -conservatively- on Sanchez than Stafford, despite the fact that Stafford was the #1 pick in the draft. It's the good and the bad of playing for something of a winner in NY. There's serious pressure involved.

And managing games is harder than people make it sound. The Jets relied very heavily on the run last year, really only allowing Sanchez to throw on obvious passing downs. As a result, he was never in any sort of rhythm, and the defense was always ready for the pass. It's not surprising that he didn't have stellar results in that situation. It's worse when the team goes thru three quarters like that, still finds themselves behind at the end of the game, and then asks the QB to open it up. That's what results in the terrible fourth quarter QB'ing we saw from him last year. No rhythm or timing results in bad throws. And when you're a rookie who's inexperienced by rookie standards, you have no bank of experience to fall back on in those situations.

He's only going to get better by throwing more. The Jets added weapons for him to do just that. There will continue to be growing pains. Bad throws, bad games - just hopefully not bad months. The key is more passing on first & second down, more play action, more shots downfield. Run, run, okay Mark we need five yards here on third down, isn't going to cut it. They need to let him establish that rhythm.

There's an article on here today saying how Mark's acting like a 10 year veteran in his second year. Lol! He's not. He's a young guy in his second year. Really only his third season starting since high school. He's still got some lumps to take. We should be ready for that.

Good points, but it sounded like you were making excuses for him for a second there. Whether they will open it up is the biggest question for the Jets IMO. Rex is a defensive guy, I question his tolerance for "lumps", especially on a team with Super Bowl aspirations.

so bumpity bump

did the 2nd preseason game change any1's hopes for an Air Coryell pass attack?

I'm not sure I understand this whole system. All we need him to do is stop singlehandedly throwing away games. Why is there a green light?

stop-mexican.jpg

Expectations increased last year as fans realized the potential the Jets had. # 1 defense, # 1 running game. Sanchez started getting pressure piled on him during the stretch where we lost 6 of 7 because the only reason the season was going to waste was his interceptions. All he had to do was manage the game, but he wasn't doing it; he was giving games away.

Fans started to think we were letting what could be a great season slip away. As it turned out, we won 5 of our final 6 to make the postseason and came 30 minutes away from a Super Bowl. Had we not caught some breaks at the end and missed out on the playoffs, we would have been wondering what might have been.

i see it differently. The coaching staff in the beginning did what they do with most rookies, they manage them. Keep them under control with higher percentage pass plays. Sanchez did great there, looked great and we won some games. The coaches got sucked in, not just Schotty, but Rex too, they decided to open things up. That wasn't just Brian, that had to be Rex too. The change in the game plan was just too dramatic. They went from conservative to gimmicky. Opening the game with a bomb is trying to be tricky. Those were stupid moves. they believed they had a guy who was going to be a wunderkid. He was a rookie and may grow into the wunderkid, but not then.

The color coding was really them going back to managing game situations and we started winning again. They shouldn't necessarily go back to the color coding system, but they should continue to just manage the game Raven style and not play Denver style elway football slingin it style.

We have a top defense in the NFL with or without Revis. base the game on that and have Sanchez manage the game. this will work most of the time and when he has to play, then you unleash him. This allows him to continue to learn and grow. Hell, he's still only 23, about to bang Brunells daughter and he is still learning. Bring him along at a pace, not a clip.

Hnadcuffs might need to come off, but there still needs to be a leash. Hell, eve Fahve-ray did better when he gave in and allowed a tiny collar to be put around his neck.

In the NFL, like in life, give me a worker who needs to be reined in over one you need to kick in the a$$ every time. Managing a game doesn't mean playing not to lose, it means making smart decisions and not trying to do too much. this will work for 75% of their games and allow the kid to continue to grow at a pace, not a gallup. Helps build confidence over time. Let him loose and he blows those first 3 games and count the season done.

Did the Mangold signing change your opinion on Woody being cheap?

I hven't seen the deal but actually... yes. Im happy, will be even happier when they sign Revis and the haters have to love this player again.

as for Sanchez i think expectations have to be retooled. They can ground and pound and RYG their way to 10 wins. Cool. They aren't going to air it out to 14 wins. Not gonna happen.

I hven't seen the deal but actually... yes. Im happy, will be even happier when they sign Revis and the haters have to love this player again.

Right, so if you don't want to see the Jets cap strung you're a hater. :blink:

I haven't seen the deal but actually... yes. Im happy, will be even happier when they sign Revis and the haters have to love this player again.

As long as he isn't taking up 1/6 of our cap space I'll continue to like Revis, just as I did before AND after it was reported that he was holding out.

Archived