red yellow green 4 sanchez

bitonti

the Sanchez story always starts with "other than the pick"

other than the pick he's the greatest QB in the league.

so ... my question to the board

When is the Red-Yellow-Green system coming back? they should get to work on it early. The vbookie should set odds on that. Week 3?

thought it was a good adjustment.

what exactly is wrong with year 2 of R-Y-G?

I feel like I'm missing the downside of this system

Because it basically puts the locks on Schottenheimer, as well. I think the RYG system was more a condemnation of Schottengenius' handling of Sanchez than it was of Sanchez himself. The Jets O really came together at the end of the year when they started running that Gruden/Callahan play-action system as opposed to that Schotty pro-set with no backs and multiple ways to get Brad Smith on a reverse that we all love so much. I think, before it's all said and done this year, Schottenheimer is going to take a full-time back seat as far as game-planning is concerned.

I'm sure that one the guys here have the stats on what Sanchez's numbers look like off of play-action versus what he does out of traditional passing sets. I don't think he'll ever be Drew Brees in terms of dissecting defenses from the pocket, but I think he can be a Rich Gannon-type playmaker, which is plenty good.

The color coding is pretty lame.

Sanchez needs to understand two things:

1. If the Jets are winning or if the game is close and there is plenty of time, don't make risky throws that could result in an int. Take the sack or throw it out of bounds. If it is the 4th quarter and the Jets are losing taking more chances. Yeah, throwing an ints will seal the game, but not scoring isn't gonna win it for ya either.

2. Don't throw into double coverage. If your primary target is double covered, look to the second target, if he is also double covered look for your third option who is almost certainly open, cause you can't double cover two guys and not leave at least one player open.

I think RYG is an attempt to color code point 1.

Because it basically puts the locks on Schottenheimer, as well. I think the RYG system was more a condemnation of Schottengenius' handling of Sanchez than it was of Sanchez himself. The Jets O really came together at the end of the year when they started running that Gruden/Callahan play-action system as opposed to that Schotty pro-set with no backs and multiple ways to get Brad Smith on a reverse that we all love so much. I think, before it's all said and done this year, Schottenheimer is going to take a full-time back seat as far as game-planning is concerned.

I'm sure that one the guys here have the stats on what Sanchez's numbers look like off of play-action versus what he does out of traditional passing sets. I don't think he'll ever be Drew Brees in terms of dissecting defenses from the pocket, but I think he can be a Rich Gannon-type playmaker, which is plenty good.

THere are times when I want to disagree with you just for the sport of it. When I have read your posts 5 times and have nothing I just have to walk away.

I personally think the Red light Green light system was blown out of proportion by the media last season. No way the kid is that dumb.

I don't think he's dumb. Far from it, in fact. But let's be realistic. His jump from college to the pros was harder than many because:

1. He had limited playing time in college.

2. He started as a rookie.

3. He's playing in the biggest media market.

4. He was playing for a contender.

On point 4, for example: Stafford had a really bad year, too. He wasn't on a contender though, so his growing pains were no big deal.

Bink!

I don't think he's dumb. Far from it, in fact. But let's be realistic. His jump from college to the pros was harder than many because:

1. He had limited playing time in college.

2. He started as a rookie.

3. He's playing in the biggest media market.

4. He was playing for a contender.

On point 4, for example: Stafford had a really bad year, too. He wasn't on a contender though, so his growing pains were no big deal.

I'll give you the first 2. 3 is just poop. 4, the Jets were not a contender with a rookie HC and a rookie QB. There was no pressure or expectations from Sanchez.

If anything, the Jets should have made his job easier last year. No expectations, but ended up playing on a team that had the #1 rushing offense and #1 defense in the league. All he had to do was manage games and instead he often game them away.

I'll give you the first 2. 3 is just poop. 4, the Jets were not a contender with a rookie HC and a rookie QB. There was no pressure or expectations from Sanchez.

If anything, the Jets should have made his job easier last year. No expectations, but ended up playing on a team that had the #1 rushing offense and #1 defense in the league. All he had to do was manage games and instead he often game them away.

Expectations increased last year as fans realized the potential the Jets had. # 1 defense, # 1 running game. Sanchez started getting pressure piled on him during the stretch where we lost 6 of 7 because the only reason the season was going to waste was his interceptions. All he had to do was manage the game, but he wasn't doing it; he was giving games away.

Fans started to think we were letting what could be a great season slip away. As it turned out, we won 5 of our final 6 to make the postseason and came 30 minutes away from a Super Bowl. Had we not caught some breaks at the end and missed out on the playoffs, we would have been wondering what might have been.

Expectations increased last year as fans realized the potential the Jets had. # 1 defense, # 1 running game. Sanchez started getting pressure piled on him during the stretch where we lost 6 of 7 because the only reason the season was going to waste was his interceptions. All he had to do was manage the game, but he wasn't doing it; he was giving games away.

Fans started to think we were letting what could be a great season slip away. As it turned out, we won 5 of our final 6 to make the postseason and came 30 minutes away from a Super Bowl. Had we not caught some breaks at the end and missed out on the playoffs, we would have been wondering what might have been.

How does any of that have to do with the 4 reasons stoi posted for why Sanchez had a more difficult transition then most QB's from college to pros?

How does any of that have to do with the 4 reasons stoi posted for why Sanchez had a more difficult transition then most QB's from college to pros?

You said there was no pressure on Sanchez. He said that there was (by comparison, Matt Stafford had zero pressure).

When is the Red-Yellow-Green system coming back? they should get to work on it early. The vbookie should set odds on that. Week 3?

other then your posts, you're a great poster

I personally think the Red light Green light system was blown out of proportion by the media last season. No way the kid is that dumb.

has nothing to do with dumb, but yes the media did blow that stupid simplistic sh*t way out of proportion.. the red green whateva did squat against atlanta, #2 rush defense which we couldn't run on and sanchez sucked to the tune of 3 picks if memory serves..

the reality is that sanchez improved as the run defenses got worse and Shonn Greene emerged into a BEAST making our run game dominant, this stoplight system had nothing to do with it

Allow me to clarify.

What I'm saying in respect to 4 is that there came a point in time at which the Jets org. and fans realized that they were a contender last year. At that time, Sanchez was standing in the way. He wanted to be a "part" of the contending team, rather than simply a drag on them and so he was forcing the ball, trying to make plays. In combination with 1-3, that is why the RYG made sense to me. You had to hold the reins on him, so he wouldn't spoil the chances for the rest of the team. Hell, judging by the outcome and the statline, it looks to me like that worked.

So your solution to everyone focusing solely on the positives is to get every to focus solely on the negative? Seems logical to me. Or...you could always just realize that there were a lot of positive signs from yesterday that indicates that he's improving as a QB. Hence the excitement. If he continues to make bad decisions sure, there's something to be concerned about. But you're freaking out over his first live action pass of the season. Chill out.

So your solution to everyone focusing solely on the positives is to get every to focus solely on the negative? Seems logical to me. Or...you could always just realize that there were a lot of positive signs from yesterday that indicates that he's improving as a QB. Hence the excitement. If he continues to make bad decisions sure, there's something to be concerned about. But you're freaking out over his first live action pass of the season. Chill out.

I was immpressed by Nacho Cinco.. the first pass was awful, but he proved to have short memory. Nice to see

The only color codes that Sanchez should be dealing with is the parking lot.

I was immpressed by Nacho Cinco.. the first pass was awful, but he proved to have short memory. Nice to see

I don't even think his first pass was awful. Definitely not good, and bad luck made it much worse. Didn't it hit LT's shoulder pad? It was a split second late, and it was his first live pass of the year.

Sanchez is the leader of this offense. He's not a rookie anymore.

This is a big item. Sanchez is making this his team this year, and he's never going to be able to win everyone over if the coaches don't take off the training wheels.

The fish trolls can have all the fun in the world with it, but that int was exactly what Sanchez needed in a meaningless game. No doubt his confidence was up playing pretty well in practice against an excellent defense, and he had visions of LT's 70 yard catch & run in scrimmage, which he was going to recreate live for all the fans and -Boom!- that blew up right in his face. Too confident, not careful enough, bad result. Great lesson to learn on the first play of a game that doesn't count.

And like you said, he bounced back brilliantly. 13/17 for 119 yards? From a guy who barely cracked 50% last year? Yeah, I'll take it. I'd like to see that ypa up over 7, but still a very good outing.

I don't even think his first pass was awful. Definitely not good, and bad luck made it much worse. Didn't it hit LT's shoulder pad? It was a split second late, and it was his first live pass of the year.

It was late, into a crowd of defenders, and in the middle of the field, i believe.. if memory is functioning, that was a horrible pass

You said there was no pressure on Sanchez. He said that there was (by comparison, Matt Stafford had zero pressure).

I realize that...but you went on a rant at how expectations developed...a little different then coming into the league with no expectations. He said the transition was more difficult and the fact remains, though expectations we lofty after a 3-0 start, it should have been easier on him then say Stafford because his team was twice as good.

The transition on first year starter should always be easier if you are playing for the team who hosts the #1 D and #1 Running game, no matter the expectations.

Allow me to clarify.

What I'm saying in respect to 4 is that there came a point in time at which the Jets org. and fans realized that they were a contender last year. At that time, Sanchez was standing in the way. He wanted to be a "part" of the contending team, rather than simply a drag on them and so he was forcing the ball, trying to make plays. In combination with 1-3, that is why the RYG made sense to me. You had to hold the reins on him, so he wouldn't spoil the chances for the rest of the team. Hell, judging by the outcome and the statline, it looks to me like that worked.

Fair enough...my point is the last line I stated above. But I see your point.

It wasnt awful, it was god awful F'ing retarded. ;-).

That 3-0 start created some real expectations, and the market plays a part, too. The hot dog story isn't a story in 25 other NFL markets. The spotlight shone 10x brighter -conservatively- on Sanchez than Stafford, despite the fact that Stafford was the #1 pick in the draft. It's the good and the bad of playing for something of a winner in NY. There's serious pressure involved.

And managing games is harder than people make it sound. The Jets relied very heavily on the run last year, really only allowing Sanchez to throw on obvious passing downs. As a result, he was never in any sort of rhythm, and the defense was always ready for the pass. It's not surprising that he didn't have stellar results in that situation. It's worse when the team goes thru three quarters like that, still finds themselves behind at the end of the game, and then asks the QB to open it up. That's what results in the terrible fourth quarter QB'ing we saw from him last year. No rhythm or timing results in bad throws. And when you're a rookie who's inexperienced by rookie standards, you have no bank of experience to fall back on in those situations.

He's only going to get better by throwing more. The Jets added weapons for him to do just that. There will continue to be growing pains. Bad throws, bad games - just hopefully not bad months. The key is more passing on first & second down, more play action, more shots downfield. Run, run, okay Mark we need five yards here on third down, isn't going to cut it. They need to let him establish that rhythm.

There's an article on here today saying how Mark's acting like a 10 year veteran in his second year. Lol! He's not. He's a young guy in his second year. Really only his third season starting since high school. He's still got some lumps to take. We should be ready for that.

That 3-0 start created some real expectations, and the market plays a part, too. The hot dog story isn't a story in 25 other NFL markets. The spotlight shone 10x brighter -conservatively- on Sanchez than Stafford, despite the fact that Stafford was the #1 pick in the draft. It's the good and the bad of playing for something of a winner in NY. There's serious pressure involved.

And managing games is harder than people make it sound. The Jets relied very heavily on the run last year, really only allowing Sanchez to throw on obvious passing downs. As a result, he was never in any sort of rhythm, and the defense was always ready for the pass. It's not surprising that he didn't have stellar results in that situation. It's worse when the team goes thru three quarters like that, still finds themselves behind at the end of the game, and then asks the QB to open it up. That's what results in the terrible fourth quarter QB'ing we saw from him last year. No rhythm or timing results in bad throws. And when you're a rookie who's inexperienced by rookie standards, you have no bank of experience to fall back on in those situations.

He's only going to get better by throwing more. The Jets added weapons for him to do just that. There will continue to be growing pains. Bad throws, bad games - just hopefully not bad months. The key is more passing on first & second down, more play action, more shots downfield. Run, run, okay Mark we need five yards here on third down, isn't going to cut it. They need to let him establish that rhythm.

There's an article on here today saying how Mark's acting like a 10 year veteran in his second year. Lol! He's not. He's a young guy in his second year. Really only his third season starting since high school. He's still got some lumps to take. We should be ready for that.

He plays for the NY Jets, the notorious losers of the Big Apple. He was a very young inexperienced rookie who was thrust into the starting role at out of necessity. I'm sure the Jets would have preferred to bring him along but Kellen wasnt able to do enough to secure the starting spot. The expectations were extremely low for the Jets as were for Sanchez. He was not the 1st overall pick taken, he was inexperienced, and he was joining a rookie HC who was implementing a new system. And the hot dog story, is most definitely a story in every market...you just dont see that....ever!!!

There really was no pressure and I'm not one who buys the added pressure to perform just because its New York. Any man who aspires to be a pro athlete should relish the chance to play in NY.

I do agree with your assessment of how the organization brought him along and its my biggest knock on Schotty. He did it with Kellen too. I'm all for letting your young QB's air it out and throwing on first down to gain a rhythm. But I stand by my statement that the Jets were ideal for a first year starter/rookie. #1 D, #1 Rush attack...should make managing much easier...Mark failed miserable at times to do so. When you are not asked to do much, it should make it easier. Yeah, managing a game isnt easy per say, but its much easier then going out there and having to win games with your arm.

Even after getting hit in the head Eli made more sense than this thread, imo. And he wasn't too bright to start with.

"Sometimes you make a mistake and you get hit in the head. It’s preseason, you learn from it.

If he keeps making mistakes like that when the seasons starts, I'll worry. For now I'd rather focus on the fact that he played pretty well the rest of the game.

Archived