Cy Buchholz?

CrazyCarl40

1st off you gotta be kidding me...CLIFF LEE > anyone else

2-Cy C Sabathia >

3-why not Mariano? :D

1. Lee is 10-6 with a 2.77 ERA. Buchholz is 14-5 with a 2.36.

2. Not this year. Too many pitcher performing better. CC has been good, but not dominant.

3. Could be, but closers aren't usually in the discussion.

Clay Buccolz: 14-5, 133.1 IP in 21 starts, 2.36 ERA, 1.193 WHIP

Lee: 10-6, 169 IP in 21 starts, 2.77 ERA, 0.947 WHIP

Lester 13-7, 161 IP in 24 starts, 2.80 ERA, 1.130 WHIP

Sabathia: 16-5, 181.2 IP in 26 starts, 3.12 ERA, 1.244 WHIP

my vote EASILY goes for Lee...he sh*ts on the other 3 and as you can notice he has 35 more innings in the same amount of 21 starts.....that adds up a lot whne you don't need those 35 innings going to Manny Delcarman's bum a$$.

Buchholz has been tremendously lucky in his W-L record this year. He has 14 wins and 14 quality starts.... Aside from his K rate, his numbers are no better than Carl Pavano's.

His xFIP is 4.22 and his E-F (ERA minus FIP) is the 3rd "luckiest" in the AL.

Ignore the most meaningless barometer of pitching ability (W-L record) and Buchholz isn't even in the top 5 SP's in the AL this year.

Buchholz has been tremendously lucky in his W-L record this year. He has 14 wins and 14 quality starts.... Aside from his K rate, his numbers are no better than Carl Pavano's.

His xFIP is 4.22 and his E-F (ERA minus FIP) is the 3rd "luckiest" in the AL.

Ignore the most meaningless barometer of pitching ability (W-L record) and Buchholz isn't even in the top 5 SP's in the AL this year.

A 2.36 ERA is nothing to sneeze at.

A 2.36 ERA is nothing to sneeze at.

All ERA's are not created equal.

The odds are not in the favor of a guy who pitches to contact maintaining said ERA, especially not when his BABIP is 30 points below his (albeit short) career mark, as well as John Lester 's- a better pitcher with the same fielders behind him. His strand rate is also one of the highest in the league and a marked improvement over past seasons.

I can say with confidence that despite Buchholz having "better" conventional numbers, guys like Francisco Liriano, Felix Hernandez, and Jered Weaver have been the better pitchers this season - not to mention Lester, Lee, Sabathia, Price....

All ERA's are not created equal.

The odds are not in the favor of a guy who pitches to contact maintaining said ERA, especially not when his BABIP is 30 points below his (albeit short) career mark, as well as John Lester 's- a better pitcher with the same fielders behind him. His strand rate is also one of the highest in the league and a marked improvement over past seasons.

I can say with confidence that despite Buchholz having "better" conventional numbers, guys like Francisco Liriano, Felix Hernandez, and Jered Weaver have been the better pitchers this season - not to mention Lester, Lee, Sabathia, Price....

Awards are not presented based on a players ability to "maintain" their mark.

Awards are given on what the mark is.

I am not making a determination who should be the AL Cy winner should be,but a 2.36 ERA is pretty good. Not saying whether he can hold it either, as that is just guesswork.

Awards are not presented based on a players ability to "maintain" their mark.

Awards are given on what the mark is.

I am not making a determination who should be the AL Cy winner should be,but a 2.36 ERA is pretty good. Not saying whether he can hold it either, as that is just guesswork.

That's fine, but I'd like to think that in this day and age, at least a few of the baseball writers give credence to some of the advanced metrics available when comparing players.

In 2008, Matsuzaka went 18-3 with a .290 ERA (3rd in AL) and finished 4th in the Cy Young voting. In reality, his E-F suggests he was the 2nd luckiest pitcher in the AL in ERA and his xFIP was near the bottom of the league. A 40-point drop in BABIP and a 7% increase in strand rate from the previous year show how he managed such great numbers. How he finished ahead of Mussina, in a season when he walked 94 batters (to only 154 K's), is baffling.

I agree that if Buchholz finishes with 20 wins and a league-leading ERA, it'll be tough to argue against him, no matter how much luck was a factor.

I just don't think he'll maintain it and, despite the fact that I don't agree with the conventional "wisdom", pitching for a non-playoff team will knock him down a peg as well.

Advanced metrics. Luck. Whatever happened to the results on the field?

It's fairly obvious that Buchholz isn't a top 5 pitcher this year. It's a nice season from a growing young pitcher...Cliff Lee should run away with the Cy Young but knowing the voters...

1st off you gotta be kidding me...CLIFF LEE > anyone else

2-Cy C Sabathia >

3-why not Mariano? :D

I agree with Lee hehas been the best pitcher int he AL. However, through no fault of his own, he has only 10 wins with 6+ weeks left.

I would say it is Price leading the pack right now with Clay, CC and Lee trailing.

Advanced metrics. Luck. Whatever happened to the results on the field?

People - well, some people at least - discovered that probability, variance, and other mathematical factors can be used to gauge performance beyond a bunch of statistics (ie. Wins, ERA) that do not take into account fielding, park factors, run support, chance, etc.

I agree with Lee hehas been the best pitcher int he AL. However, through no fault of his own, he has only 10 wins with 6+ weeks left.

I would say it is Price leading the pack right now with Clay, CC and Lee trailing.

If you want to throw out Wins, then Felix Hernandez has easily been a top-3 pitcher this season.

I obviously realize that a guy who only has 8 wins on August 18th is not going to win the Cy Young, but I just wanted to acknowledge that he's been phenomenal this season on a team that doesn't score any runs. Felix is getting the least run support of any pitcher in the AL, at 3.76 runs per start. Cliff Lee is ranked 5th in least run support, at 4.69 runs per game.

Buchholz? He's ranked 10th in most run support in the AL at 7.49 runs per game. Price and Sabathia are 14th and 15th respectively, both getting a healthy 7+ runs per game.

This is why Wins are the biggest bullsh*t stat when it comes to grading pitching performance.

If you want to throw out Wins, then Felix Hernandez has easily been a top-3 pitcher this season.

I obviously realize that a guy who only has 8 wins on August 18th is not going to win the Cy Young, but I just wanted to acknowledge that he's been phenomenal this season on a team that doesn't score any runs. Felix is getting the least run support of any pitcher in the AL, at 3.76 runs per start. Cliff Lee is ranked 5th in least run support, at 4.69 runs per game.

Buchholz? He's ranked 10th in most run support in the AL at 7.49 runs per game. Price and Sabathia are 14th and 15th respectively, both getting a healthy 7+ runs per game.

This is why Wins are the biggest bullsh*t stat when it comes to grading pitching performance.

I agree. CC is the case in point.

Greinke's 16 wins was the lowest win total for a CY Young award winning starter in a non-strike year.

Greinke was still 7th, but led or was Top 5 in most of the other major categories (ERA, Ks, CGs).

Lee is not even in the Top 20 for wins.

Is he the best? Yes. Do I think the voters will overlook his win total? I do not know. He still has some time to get into the 16-17 win range. If he does and does not get anymore ND, I think he will win.

I can easily see CC and Price getting to or close to 20 wins and wooing voters with that number.

I agree. CC is the case in point.

Greinke's 16 wins was the lowest win total for a CY Young award winning starter in a non-strike year.

Greinke was still 7th, but led or was Top 5 in most of the other major categories (ERA, Ks, CGs).

Lee is not even in the Top 20 for wins.

Is he the best? Yes. Do I think the voters will overlook his win total? I do not know. He still has some time to get into the 16-17 win range. If he does and does not get anymore ND, I think he will win.

I can easily see CC and Price getting to or close to 20 wins and wooing voters with that number.

If Lee gets 16+ wins, maintaining his other numbers and doesn't win, it would be a travesty.

Hell, I think fantasy baseball has a better system of ranking starting pitchers than the BBWA. Here are the current AL rankings in a standard 5x5 league:

Cliff Lee

Felix Hernandez

Jered Weaver

Jon Lester

Trevor Cahill

CC Sabathia

Carl Pavano

David Price

John Danks

Clay Buchholz

Now I'm not saying that's the order I would necessarily rank them, but I certainly agree with #1 and with Buchholz not being in the top-5.

14-5. League leading ERA. Been consistent all season long. Don't see why not. If he keeps it up over the last 2 months of the season he might be close to 20 wins. So glad the Sox didn't deal him.

Since the Red Sox aren't in contention this year most teams have been resting their starters against them. The numbers are skewed as a result. :rolleyes:

Archived