Revis vs Willis

Reeevus

So there are a couple discussions going on about Revis vs Willis on a couple forums...check em out...damn Willis homers are not very football educated if they think an elite MLB is more important than a shut down corner.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=407597&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

and http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42295

So there are a couple discussions going on about Revis vs Willis on a couple forums...check em out...damn Willis homers are not very football educated if they think an elite MLB is more important than a shut down corner.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=407597&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

It's not that they are just homers, but that Willis is one hell of a football player. Despite putting up gaudy stats, such as averaging 156 TOT, 8 PDs, 3 sacks, 2 FF and roughly 1.5 ints a year, he's improved in coverage and being the leader of that defense ever since his rookie year.

He is the MLB of the 43, which is a vital position...but with his freakish athleticism and skills, he could play inside or outside and could play in a 34 as well. He's just ridiculous.

I don't really like to compare the difference between a MLB and a CB, but I will say this, he's played all 48 games of his career and is currently on the field. So he's got that on Revis.

It's not that they are just homers, but that Willis is one hell of a football player. Despite putting up gaudy stats, such as averaging 156 TOT, 8 PDs, 3 sacks, 2 FF and roughly 1.5 ints a year, he's improved in coverage and being the leader of that defense ever since his rookie year.

He is the MLB of the 43, which is a vital position...but with his freakish athleticism and skills, he could play inside or outside and could play in a 34 as well. He's just ridiculous.

I don't really like to compare the difference between a MLB and a CB, but I will say this, he's played all 48 games of his career and is currently on the field. So he's got that on Revis.

Actually they play a 34...and as great as he is when given the chance to choose a shut down corner is far more valuable. You can find great MLB's (maybe not another Willis but a Harris or Beason type)often. SHut down corners are of the rarer commodities to come by and allow for DC's to be very creative because they don't have to roll safety coverage over the top. Look at what Rex and Mike were able to drum up last year due to Revis' coverage abilities....

Actually they play a 34...and as great as he is when given the chance to choose a shut down corner is far more valuable. You can find great MLB's (maybe not another Willis but a Harris or Beason type)often. SHut down corners are of the rarer commodities to come by and allow for DC's to be very creative because they don't have to roll safety coverage over the top. Look at what Rex and Mike were able to drum up last year due to Revis' coverage abilities....

Ya, for some reason I could have swore I remember a big debate about him being drafted to play in a 43 his rookie year and how his skills wouldn't be fully used in a 34...did they switch when Singletary came there??

Regardless, I would agree that in any given season a shut down corner, given a creative DC, can be more valuable. However, I would put money on Willis having an equal or better season before I would bet on Revis equaling his amazing campaign last year. But that's more of a Willis vs Revis debate than a MLB vs CB one. I definitely get where you're coming from and while I haven't read the arguments on those sites, I would still be hard-pressed if I were a 9ers fan to give up Willis for a Revis.

I don't think you can compare two of the greatest players at their respective position like this. It's like arguing if a LT or a QB is more important., apples and oranges.

Not to mention reading some of the fan's responses in those links, how can anyone say Willis is a HOF'er and Revis isn't? Their both too young to even consider the thought of them having a HOF career.

The only guys on D I'd take over Revis:

Ware

Allen

K. Williams

Ngata

Wilfork

Dockett

Off the top of my head...it'd have to be a pass rusher or a dominant DL...I go to sleep at night dreaming of this DL with a great, young DL player, but that's for the 2011 season.

Ware

Allen

K. Williams

Ngata

Wilfork

Dockett

Off the top of my head...it'd have to be a pass rusher or a dominant DL...I go to sleep at night dreaming of this DL with a great, young DL player, but that's for the 2011 season.

Ware and Ngata are the only two on that list I even consider taking over Revis and still might not do it.

Ya, for some reason I could have swore I remember a big debate about him being drafted to play in a 43 his rookie year and how his skills wouldn't be fully used in a 34...did they switch when Singletary came there??

Regardless, I would agree that in any given season a shut down corner, given a creative DC, can be more valuable. However, I would put money on Willis having an equal or better season before I would bet on Revis equaling his amazing campaign last year. But that's more of a Willis vs Revis debate than a MLB vs CB one. I definitely get where you're coming from and while I haven't read the arguments on those sites, I would still be hard-pressed if I were a 9ers fan to give up Willis for a Revis.

I believe they have been a 3-4 since Nolan.

I don't see why Revis can't continue to play at the level he did last year, that is if he gets his a$$ in camp and gets back into football shape soon.

I don't think you can compare two of the greatest players at their respective position like this. It's like arguing if a LT or a QB is more important., apples and oranges.

Not to mention reading some of the fan's responses in those links, how can anyone say Willis is a HOF'er and Revis isn't? Their both too young to even consider the thought of them having a HOF career.

I thought it was fairly common knowledge that QB, LT's, blue chip pass rushers and corners were the 4 most important positions on a football team ? Safeties as of late have been making a run for being considered incredibly important in the era of football.

Ware

Allen

K. Williams

Ngata

Wilfork

Dockett

WHAT??!! You got to be kidding me with some of those names.

Maybe Ware, and maybe a healthy Polamalu.

I think having a shut down corner is only going to win the game for you if the other team only has one good WR. No matter how many good WRs another team has a good pass rusher is still impacting the game.

As the Jets are currently constituted, I think Revis factors in a whole ton on the pass rush.

He frees up extra blizers left and right, which masks the fact we don't have any dominant pass rushers.

WHAT??!! You got to be kidding me with some of those names.

Maybe Ware, and maybe a healthy Polamalu.

I wouldn't think of Polamalu over Revis. Revis is at least 4-5 years younger. Ware and Allen are the two best pass rushers in the league entering their primes and the 4 guys listed are basically my 1-4 on big DL in the league. I forgot Mario Williams.

Actually fine...I'd do that for any of Ware, Ngata, and the two Williams'.

I wouldn't think of Polamalu over Revis. Revis is at least 4-5 years younger. Ware and Allen are the two best pass rushers in the league entering their primes and the 4 guys listed are basically my 1-4 on big DL in the league. I forgot Mario Williams.

Actually fine...I'd do that for any of Ware, Ngata, and the two Williams'.

Freeney?

As the Jets are currently constituted, I think Revis factors in a whole ton on the pass rush.

He frees up extra blizers left and right, which masks the fact we don't have any dominant pass rushers.

If Revis is freeing up blitzers it would be for safety blitzes and I don't think Leonhard and Rhodes had impressive sack numbers.

If Revis is freeing up blitzers it would be for safety blitzes and I don't think Leonhard and Rhodes had impressive sack numbers.

Sure, but pressure is just as important as a sack in Rex's defense.

Overall, the Jets didn't have top sack numbers. It was more about freeing up bodies to apply pressure from every which direction.

I thought it was fairly common knowledge that QB, LT's, blue chip pass rushers and corners were the 4 most important positions on a football team ? Safeties as of late have been making a run for being considered incredibly important in the era of football.

Corners don't make that list.

Patriots have won 3 without an elite corner... Samuel is not elite. Steelers have won 2 without an elite corner... Indy has won 1 and been in the conversation for years...

I'm not saying I don't want Revis back asap, but a top flight CB is a luxury.

Patriots have won 3 without an elite corner... Samuel is not elite. Steelers have won 2 without an elite corner... Indy has won 1 and been in the conversation for years...

+1

Give me the top DL in the league instead....thats what the Pats and Steelers built their defenses on.

That was before the rule changes, and didnt the Pats win each of their 3 Super Bowls with Ty Law?

As for the Colts, winning 1 Super Bowl isn't all that impressive when you consider that Peyton is going to go down as one of the best QB's of all-time. Maybe they should be doing what the Saints did and improve their secondary.

Elite corners are a luxury, but then again, you can't win with a bunch of Drew Coleman's either. Shutting down the run is no longer a necessity. Being able to win a shootout and prevent teams from going on an air assualt wins titles.

Archived