Is Mevi$ worth all the fuss?

Kentucky Jet

id rather watch the Jets win games with Revis than lose games without him. Screw the moral high ground.

We'll win without Revis because we have Rex Ryan. That's a point you're missing. And I don't think you read ANY of Sperm Edward's post.

You're behaving like a 12-year girl who's putting her hands over her ears and saying "la la la can't hear you! la la la pay Revis whatever he wants because we'll never be good again without him! la la la"

id rather watch the Jets win games with Revis than lose games without him. Screw the moral high ground.

Moral high ground? You would kill a franchise with these awful precedents.

Player under contract for 3 years. Barks to the media about a new deal. Fakes an injury to his teammates and coaches. Holds out all summer. Team caves and gives him everything he wants, including tearing up his existing 3-year contract.

You would never be able to keep a team again. All player contracts would be meaningless unless the player wanted them to be.

We'll win without Revis because we have Rex Ryan. That's a point you're missing.

I've heard the argument, but dont think that's true. Rex is a great coach but all coaches need talent to win. Parcells didn't win anything without LT. Belly hasn't won anything without Brady. Coaches coach, players play and the Jets defensive secondary without Revis is a bunch of mcdonalds cheeseburger eating jackasses.

Moral high ground? You would kill a franchise with these awful precedents.

not all players are equal. Revis is held to a different set of rules cause he's a once in a generation player. If another once in a generation player wants to break his deal after 3 years, I say great. Cause it's harder to find these players than it is to keep em.

not all players are equal. Revis is held to a different set of rules cause he's a once in a generation player. If another once in a generation player wants to break his deal after 3 years, I say great. Cause it's harder to find these players than it is to keep em.

So if D'Brick pulls this crap next year. What's your solution?

So if D'Brick pulls this crap next year. What's your solution?

DBrick is not Anthony Munoz. He's more like Lomas Brown. a great pro, maybe even a pro bowler but he's not as good at his position as Revis is at his. So I guess they'd have to deal with it. But DBrick is not Revis.

DBrick is not Anthony Munoz. He's more like Lomas Brown. a great pro, maybe even a pro bowler but he's not as good at his position as Revis is at his. So I guess they'd have to deal with it. But DBrick is not Revis.

Deal with it how? Pay him? What do they do next season after he threatens to sit out the year POST draft where the Jets didn't pick up a LT. What if Sanchez does it?

I'm sure the other 20 players who march into your GM office annually demanding renegotiations will be sympathetic to your "Revis is held to a different set of rules" line. Will also be great in the locker room to know that Prince Revis gets what he wants when he wants it and everyone else can drop dead.

No, trade revis.

Also rewards the player for holding out. He signs a mega-lucrative contract the Jets have offered up, albeit less than he dreams of, or he rots for the year. If you want to trade him, do it before the draft next season (not that we're going to get good value for a guy who demands $16M guaranteed per year anyway).

We had Mevi$ all last year and he had arguably the greatest season a CB has ever had! What did we win? He only covers half the field and Manning still whipped our butts. The Faders have ASO at 15 mil per season. He is in a class with Mevi$ or darn close to him. What have they won with ASO? The Slackers have WOODSON. He is in a class with ASO, Mevi$ and guess what? The Slackers have won nothing in years! Plus the guy had a great season last year too for the Slackers and what did they win? He won DPOY and beat out Mevi$. In summation, teams with three great CBs did not win a thing last year! TEAMS win games and championships! As goes the Jets most important player ( SANCHEZ) so goes the Jets with or without Mevi$.

Uh do not even compare Asomwa to Revis....Revis is a million times better. The raiders dont get anything done cause they have no qb no wr no rb no coach no NOTHING. Th Packers are a great team and are getting back to championship form. They made a deep playoff run. We have a great shot at a title and Revis solidifies that oppotunity. Come on Kentucky i know your better than that. We got the AFC Championship game cause of Revis spectacular play against Bengals, Chargers and he held his own against Wayne at Indy. Greene's rib injury really hurt our offense that game.

Would you like to watch Revis and a a bunch of unskilled back-ups for the next 10 years go 5-11 every year while he busts the jets cap? There will be a cap again.

Pure hyperbole.

Or are you simply living in the moment and are all in for just 1 year? If you watched Hard Knocks the Jets are having to cut guys like Coles or T-Rich right now for budget reasons, guys like Dustin Keller and Shonne Green will be playing elsewhere because of this greedy prick.

That has nothing to do with the cap, and everything to do with Woody Johnson overextending himself with the new stadium and training facility. When the Jets are cutting guys making the league minimum for financial reasons, it's the organization you should be upset with.

I'm sure the other 20 players who march into your GM office annually demanding renegotiations will be sympathetic to your "Revis is held to a different set of rules" line. Will also be great in the locker room to know that Prince Revis gets what he wants when he wants it and everyone else can drop dead.

I continue to neither expect nor advocate Revis getting his $16M/year, but this is not a relevant argument, either. Players are fully aware of the fact that the league is made up of haves and have-nots. Players that have the leverage should apply it (in my unpopular opinion, laugh.gif), but the rest of them pretty much know their place. Cromartie comes in asking for Revis money next year, and the Jets are going to tell him he's not Revis. It'll be a short talk. Go test the market and come back to us. The way these conversations generally go is the way Kellen's went last night on Hard Knocks. Revis could get $160M/year, and that isn't going to change.

this post neglects the fact that had Revis played under his existing deal he'd be the 7th highest paid DB on the Jets. Ihedibo would make more money. That's unacceptable.

It's on thing to say he just got a new deal and he's holding out again (or this Dbrick hypothetical) but his current deal was unacceptable. The reason why he was slated to make 550k is cause he exhausted all of his incentives already. The man needs a new deal and he's earned it.

this post neglects the fact that had Revis played under his existing deal he'd be the 7th highest paid DB on the Jets. Ihedibo would make more money. That's unacceptable.

It's on thing to say he just got a new deal and he's holding out again (or this Dbrick hypothetical) but his current deal was unacceptable. The reason why he was slated to make 550k is cause he exhausted all of his incentives already. The man needs a new deal and he's earned it.

He also got bonus money that those other DB's didn't get. Despite your perception that signing bonus is to be treated as part of 1-year salary and nothing more, it does count.

And what on God's green earth are you talking about anyway? You keep making it out like the Jets, while under no contractual obligation to do so, have offered Revis the largest contract ever offered to any player at any position in the history of the NFL (to the best of my recollection) with the largest amount of guaranteed money ever offered to a non-QB.

But because Revis scoffs at it you equate it with the Jets offering up zero.

Do you actually believe any of this stuff you write? Stuff like writing, in authoritative fashion, that the ILB franchise tag number being the biggest bargain or most reasonable franchise tag amount? Meanwhile there is no such thing as an ILB franchise tag.

Jets have offered to make Revis the richest CB in the history of sports - even though he's locked into a contract for far less, that was drawn up by his own agent - and in response he has told the team's owner, its GM, his teammates, and all the fans to piss off.

You keep making it out like the Jets, while under no contractual obligation to do so, have offered Revis the largest contract ever offered to any player at any position in the history of the NFL (to the best of my recollection) with the largest amount of guaranteed money ever offered to a non-QB.

We really don't know what's being offered, or what's being demanded. All we really have to go on is leaks from the Jets FO. Is that trustworthy?

Watching the Jets operate in regards to Coles and TRich, and looking at the deals signed by Mangold and D'Brick, it's extremely hard to believe that the team has offered much of anything up front. The team is obviously cash strapped and/or unwilling to hand out bonuses before the lockout. Mangold got the best deal, and even he didn't get the average of his deal in the first year. I'm sure the team agrees with you (and me, for that matter) that Revis is a potential holdout the moment he has a new contract, and there's no way they're offering him any more than the average of that rumored 10/$120M deal - and probably are offering significantly less.

The rules state that the Jets can't guarantee fully any salary for both injury and skill, and I'm sure Revis' team understands that. They also have to understand that the Jets aren't giving this holdout risk more than a year's pay in the first year.

For their part, the Jets have to understand that Revis isn't coming to play for a token bonus like the one Brick took.

That's where I see the compromise. I really believe that if the Jets can get Revis 1/10th of the rumored 10 year deal in the first year, that they can get him back on the field. And that if they try to be punitive -or just plain cheap- they won't. And that would be a shame.

He also got bonus money that those other DB's didn't get.

yes and he more than earned that money too.

And what on God's green earth are you talking about anyway? You keep making it out like the Jets, while under no contractual obligation to do so, have offered Revis the largest contract ever offered to any player at any position in the history of the NFL (to the best of my recollection) with the largest amount of guaranteed money ever offered to a non-QB.

But because Revis scoffs at it you equate it with the Jets offering up zero.

i don't believe the Jets when they say they offered Revis the largest whatever whatever. It's bullcrap. Tell me what his upfront bonus is and we can talk about if it was fair or not. if the contract is for 120 mil and the up front bonus is zero it's a crap deal. We don't know what the bonus is... or the nature of the guarantee language. But end of the day Revis knows what he's worth and it's up to the Jets to meet that or trade him.

He's a superstar. Jets fans aren't used to dealing with superstars but this is par for the course. I hate to quote Sports guy but he was right when he said Larry Bird and Magic Johnson each held out 2x from their teams. It's not selfish. It's what superstar do... and owners try to get chateau lafite at mad dog prices, that's what owners do. there's no right and wrong just get it done.

i don't believe the Jets when they say they offered Revis the largest whatever whatever. It's bullcrap. Tell me what his upfront bonus is and we can talk about if it was fair or not. if the contract is for 120 mil and the up front bonus is zero it's a crap deal. We don't know what the bonus is... or the nature of the guarantee language. But end of the day Revis knows what he's worth and it's up to the Jets to meet that or trade him.

He's a superstar. Jets fans aren't used to dealing with superstars but this is par for the course. I hate to quote Sports guy but he was right when he said Larry Bird and Magic Johnson each held out 2x from their teams. It's not selfish. It's what superstar do... and owners try to get chateau lafite at mad dog prices, that's what owners do. there's no right and wrong just get it done.

1) Why do you have this dumb notion that just because a superstar does it, it isn't selfish anymore? Selfish is Selfish.

2) You can't compare basketball and football when making the comparison. An individual has a much greater impact on basketball than an individual has on football. You can get by in basketball having 2 or 3 mega contracts and the rest being fill in the blank scrubs. Football is more of a team sport. The pie is shared by more people.

So at last we have it:

All players are always right all of the time because all owners are always cheating them all of the time.

This is to be viewed as true until proven otherwise. Of course, since we aren't in the room with them and cannot see the contract with our own eyes, this can never be done.

Now THAT is some bullcrap.

Revis is under contract. He wants to breach that contract. The Jets are even willing to oblige that. But you consider anything the Jets offer to be worthless unless a player, with his own self-interest and ONLY his own self-interest in mind, deems it to be fair or appropriate. That is so silly it should not even require a response.

So at last we have it:

All players are always right all of the time because all owners are always cheating them all of the time.

according to the NYJ, the Jets offered Leon 5 mil a year and he turned it down.

according to Leon, the Jets offered him 2 mil a year and that wasn't enough.

im not making sweeping statements, each situation is different. But we can't just believe the Jets cause they are our favorite team.

in this situation I think the Jets are light on bonus and have no plans to make it right. I also think this team goes from special to mediocre pretty quick without Revis. I could be wrong on both counts.

according to the NYJ, the Jets offered Leon 5 mil a year and he turned it down.

according to Leon, the Jets offered him 2 mil a year and that wasn't enough.

im not making sweeping statements, each situation is different. But we can't just believe the Jets cause they are our favorite team.

in this situation I think the Jets are light on bonus and have no plans to make it right. I also think this team goes from special to mediocre pretty quick without Revis. I could be wrong on both counts.

Since you're so big on who's earned what, should Gholston be forced to return all the money he's made above the league minimum?

Since you're so big on who's earned what, should Gholston be forced to return all the money he's made above the league minimum?

He gave back 6 million dollars before this year. And he's shaping up to be a key player in this D with no Pace and Pito. So I have no problem with Gholston.

He gave back 6 million dollars before this year. And he's shaping up to be a key player in this D with no Pace and Pito. So I have no problem with Gholston.

I'm well aware of that, and I'm aware that you're ok with anyone being overpaid with OPM. But that isn't what I asked.

Go re-read the question. Has Gholston earned the money he's made so far or has he been overpaid for performance rendered so far? We all know the answer to that. So since you are big on rewarding based on production, I'm curious as to whether you think they should be appropriately penalized.

Therefore, should Gholston be forced to return the amount he's been overpaid?

Archived