Is Mevi$ worth all the fuss?

Kentucky Jet

08/25/2010 3:02 PM ET

Is Revis worth all the fuss?

Ryan's defenses have not always had shut-down corners

By Michael Salfino / SNY.tv

Buzz up! Post on facebook Fan Comments (1)print email

Rex Ryan and GM Mike Tannenbaum have put together a defense that doesn't rely on one player. (AP)

Whether Darrelle Revis signs imminently is a matter of great speculation. But everyone seems to agree that he is fundamental to Rex Ryan's ability to execute his defensive system. This belief, however, forgets Ryan's run with the Ravens as defensive coordinator prior to taking the Jets job.

The most vocal advocate of this belief, the thesis of which is that "Revis holds all the cards" in his negotiations with the team, is Mike Francesa. The WFAN talkie has turned himself into a World Wrestling Federation caricature when it comes to his unyielding hatred of the team and everyone in the organization -- even the once fawned-upon "Mr. T" -- general manager Mike Tannenbaum.

Here are the yards allowed per pass attempt totals and NFL rankings of the Ravens defenses Ryan coached as coordinator from 2005 to 2008:

2005: 5.2/2

2006: 5.3/2

2007: 6.8/30

2008: 5.1/3

In points allowed they finished 10th, 11th, 22nd and third. One terrible year and three that were on par with the 2010 Jets, who were first last season at 4.6. If the Jets finish second or third in pass defense this year without Revis, he loses along with his agents.

But how many All-Pro corners was Ryan blessed with in Baltimore? Zero.

Chris McAllister was in the Pro Bowl one year (2006), but that's a far lower standard. Not that many will say that Antonio Cromartie can't approximate a 2006 McAllister in the 2010 Jets defense.

The Ravens did have Pro Bowl safety those years in Ed Reed. But the argument of those who believe in the utter indispensability of Revis is that his ability to take out No. 1 receivers is the foundation of Ryan's defense. Reed didn't do that for Ryan's Ravens.

Revis' man cover skills were the foundation to Ryan's 2009 Jets defense. But that doesn't mean Ryan can't find another way to frustrate pass offenses because he's done so without a shut-down corner in the past.

Jets fans hope this will all soon be moot and Revis will sign. But it's reasonable to question whether he's worth the $15-$16 million annually he is reportedly demanding. That's a franchise quarterback number. With a hard cap, it's going to be hard to have a number close to that on the books. There are ways to alter that accounting while essentially paying Revis that, at least in the short term. But is his impact on the game that dramatic?

The Colts in the AFC Championship Game and the Patriots in their second regular-season matchup in New England just killed the Jets with slot receivers as Revis could do nothing but watch. Peyton Manning's influence on that championship game, conversely, could not be avoided.

The Jets have jettisoned Lito Sheppard and currently do not have Revis. In their place are Cromartie and impressive rookie corner Kyle Wilson. Revis is a perfect 10 on a 1-to-10 scale. Sheppard is a sub-starter and about a four. Cromartie is very good, so it's not like the Jets are trying to replace Revis with Donald Dykes. He's a seven or an eight as a cover guy. So if Wilson proves to be a seven -- a good player who flashes Pro Bowl ability periodically -- you can argue that the Jets secondary is no worse than in '09.

Or, you can believe that first Joe Flacco and then Tom Brady are going to look to their right the first two weeks and just salivate over the prospect of attacking Cromartie -- something no team did when he was a member of the Chargers.

Remember, too, that the Jets offense is likely to be a lot better in 2010 than in 2009 if we project Mark Sanchez off the most recent and most important sample -- his 92.7 quarterback rating in three road playoff games rather than his very spotty regular season.

Michael Salfino writes for the Wall Street Journal and Yahoo! and is a regular contributor to SNY.tv.

in a word: absofrigginlutely he's worth the fuss

We had Mevi$ all last year and he had arguably the greatest season a CB has ever had! What did we win? He only covers half the field and Manning still whipped our butts. The Faders have ASO at 15 mil per season. He is in a class with Mevi$ or darn close to him. What have they won with ASO? The Slackers have WOODSON. He is in a class with ASO, Mevi$ and guess what? The Slackers have won nothing in years! Plus the guy had a great season last year too for the Slackers and what did they win? He won DPOY and beat out Mevi$. In summation, teams with three great CBs did not win a thing last year! TEAMS win games and championships! As goes the Jets most important player ( SANCHEZ) so goes the Jets with or without Mevi$.

We had Mevi$ all last year and he had arguably the greatest season a CB has ever had! What did we win? He only covers half the field and Manning still whipped our butts. The Faders have ASO at 15 mil per season. He is in a class with Mevi$ or darn close to him. What have they won with ASO? The Slackers have WOODSON. He is in a class with ASO, Mevi$ and guess what? The Slackers have won nothing in years! Plus the guy had a great season last year too for the Slackers and what did they win? He won DPOY and beat out Mevi$. In summation, teams with three great CBs did not win a thing last year! TEAMS win games and championships! As goes the Jets most important player ( SANCHEZ) so goes the Jets with or without Mevi$.

Rex Ryan knows how important Revis is.

Don't you worry.

In his praise for Jets star cornerback Darrelle Revis, he declared that Revis has had more impact on his defense than two former NFL Defensive Players of the Year.

Ryan told reporters that Revis was more important to the Jets' defense than two of his former players with the Baltimore Ravens: middle linebacker Ray Lewis and free safety Ed Reed.

"Ray Lewis had the most impact I've ever been around of a guy that would lead a team and will a team," Ryan said.. "He was a tremendous player. But what we can do physically and how [Revis has] changed what we can play defensively, I think he's the guy.

"That's obviously not taking anything away from Ray Lewis and Ed Reed. I love those guys. There is no question, and they've won those awards. This guy right here, it's amazing what he can do. A corner to dominate a game the way this corner can is something."

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Wilson-Heavy-praise-for-Revis-from-Rex-Ryan-6695.html

that's like saying peyton manning didn't matter last season because the colts didn't win it all.

we made it to the AFC championship game. no way we would've done last last year without revis. 0% chance.

that's like saying peyton manning didn't matter last season because the colts didn't win it all.

we made it to the AFC championship game. no way we would've done last last year without revis. 0% chance.

actually you can say we never would have made it without SHONN GREENE. When he went down with an injury so did the Jets chances of winning regardless if Mevi$ was in there or not. Maybe Greene should sit out the rest of the preseason and demand a new contract based on one good season. Mevi$ had ONE great season and he wants to rip up his contract that he previously held out for.

15 mil isn't franchise QB money in 2010. It's "Franchise QB from 4 years ago taking a lower salary for whatever reason" money. Brady and Manning are basically getting screwed for 15 mil when Phillip Rivers gets 25 and Cutler gets 22 (2009 salary database).

As for "is he worth it" I pray we don't see this team playing real games without Revis. Without their superstar they are ****ed. Case closed. You all might want to see an 7-9 year and talk about how much money they saved but I think that sucks.

15 mil isn't franchise QB money in 2010. It's "Franchise QB from 4 years ago taking a lower salary for whatever reason" money. Brady and Manning are basically getting screwed for 15 mil when Phillip Rivers gets 25 and Cutler gets 22 (2009 salary database).

As for "is he worth it" I pray we don't see this team playing real games without Revis. Without their superstar they are ****ed. Case closed. You all might want to see an 7-9 year and talk about how much money they saved but I think that sucks.

Rivers does not get $25M per season

Cutler does not get $22M per season

The going rate for a "franchise QB" in 2006 was not $15M per season.

I don't know where you get this stuff.

Bit, do you understand how a signing bonus is SUPPOSED to work? Rivers got a 6-year, $92M contract extension. An average of $15.3M/year.

In 2009, he got a $19M signing bonus and a $6M salary, so yes, that adds up to $25M. The rest of the way, he will get an average of $13.4M/year.

If Revis signs the 10-year, $120M contract, he will almost certainly get a $20M+ payday in the first year.

The only difference is that Rivers will probably play next year for his paltry $13.2M salary while Revis would almost certainly hold out again.

Rex became Rex long before Mevi$. He can survive without Mevi$. Nobody, and I mean nobody was saying the Jets cant survive without Mevi$ until Rex Ryan came around. Rex made Mevi$ into a star and now Rex cant survive without him?

Come'on, this is silly. People act like we arent still very talented in our secondary. Wilson and Cro are good. Probably a better combo than most in the league. Lowery isnt as terrible as JetNation makes him out to be. Poole is better than Rhodes. And Leonhard consistently overachieves and is clearly a leader on this team. And I predict domination from the Big Jenk/Pouha/Ellis threat and our LBing core is one of the best in the league.

Defense is not a problem.

Our bisexual model for a QB is.

Rivers does not get $25M per season

Cutler does not get $22M per season

The going rate for a "franchise QB" in 2006 was not $15M per season.

I don't know where you get this stuff.

Actually Rivers did get 25 million last year but 19.5 was a signing bonus.. http://content.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/playerdetail.aspx?player=3517

Cutler did get 22 million with his signing bonus....

http://content.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/playerdetail.aspx?player=4067

Actually Rivers did get 25 million last year but 19.5 was a signing bonus.. http://content.usato...spx?player=3517

Cutler did get 22 million with his signing bonus....

http://content.usato...spx?player=4067

Untrue. That is not PER SEASON. That was for A SEASON, with the understanding that said players will not simply hold out again in a few years during a single "down year" of their contracts.

Think Revis would honor that? Or is it more likely he'd just pocket the $25-30M for this season and then hold out again in 2013 if, during that season, he "only" makes another $8M and the "guaranteed" portion of his contract going forward has dried up?

Yeah, neither do I. No one does, including those who support giving him pretty much whatever he wants.

Untrue. That is not PER SEASON. That was for A SEASON, with the understanding that said players will not simply hold out again in a few years during a single "down year" of their contracts.

Think Revis would honor that? Or is it more likely he'd just pocket the $25-30M for this season and then hold out again in 2013 if, during that season, he "only" makes another $8M and the "guaranteed" portion of his contract going forward has dried up?

Yeah, neither do I. No one does, including those who support giving him pretty much whatever he wants.

Of course it was just last season with their bonus money included .. Bit wasn't trying to say per year was he?? :blink:

Revis supporters have their minds made up. So what if the Raiders never did anything with Aso. Having a shut down corner guarantees the super bowl anyway.

The way the Raiders use Aso is mind-boggling. They shade him to one side of the field. Most teams just put their #1 WR on the opposite side.

The Raiders rush D sucks too. Not at all a valid comparison.

Yes. That was the implication, used to justify $15M per season for a CB.

Why should we care what the greatest Cb in the game gets per season? We should be more worried about not having this player.

and spare me the cap argument... it goes up every year and there is no cap right now. If there is a budget it is Woody's budget.

Why should we care what the greatest Cb in the game gets per season? We should be more worried about not having this player.

and spare me the cap argument... it goes up every year and there is no cap right now. If there is a budget it is Woody's budget.

Translation: throw caution to the wind, set awful precedents with the rest of the team's current and future players, and assume that this player isn't going to again do what he's already done twice prior to his 4th NFL season.

He is not worth $16M per season, which Revis clearly wants to translate into is $60M over the next 2 seasons so he can hold out again when he's slotted to make "only" $8M in 2012.

Spare you the cap argument? If there was no cap - now AND in the future - no one would care. The amount it went up year after year is precisely the owners' point of contention. It is not going to be the same rate as it was, leading to $160-200M caps within a few years. It just isn't. And if you operate a football team, any business, or one's life under the "who gives a crap about tomorrow?" mantra, you are setting yourself up to be a long-term failure. Every year you'll have two dozen players locked up long-term say "Well you redid it for Revis, so I also want my contract redone in its one down year or I'm holding out."

Lost in all of your arguments, no matter how many times it gets repeated, is that Revis is not a f***ing free agent, won't be one next year, and won't be one the year after that.

The Jets are coming to the table with something just to make him happy; he is replying with nothing beyond "I want what I want, what I imagine I could get if I was a free agent from the Raiders, or I'm going home." And totally desperate and painted into that corner, even Crazy Al Davis didn't offer up $45M totally guaranteed (meaning a minimum $37M signing bonus right now) to a friggin' cornerback.

Find fault with the Jets over this if they were the only team not throwing idiotic amounts of money around just because it's an uncapped season.

It is entirely possible that you do not know better than everyone, or even most, no matter how many times you just make things up out of thin air for people to believe.

Our front 7 isn't all that inspiring. This team is built on coverage and all-around quality.

Really? I think this is crazy talk.

Our front 7 is the reason we are successful. To say we are team built on coverage when last season we were the number 1 pass defense in the league with the likes of Lito Shepard, Donald Strickland and Dwight Lowery seems very uniformed, 2 of which were so great we didnt care to keep them. Instead, we went out and traded for a 1st rounder and drafted a 1st rounder. Revis cant cover the whole field. Secondly, considering how many times we blitz our CB's...I think we negate coverage for pressure.

With the emergence of Pouha and DeVito, the consistency of Ellis and the dominance of a healthy Jenkins...IMO...we have one of the most formidable lines in the league. And straight up, I think we have one of if not the best LB'er cores in the league. Scott, Harris, Pace, Thomas and now Taylor...that is pretty stacked dude...and if we add Adalius too. Look out!

Lost in all of your arguments, no matter how many times it gets repeated, is that Revis is not a f***ing free agent, won't be one next year, and won't be one the year after that.

id rather watch the Jets win games with Revis than lose games without him. Screw the moral high ground.

Would you like to watch Revis and a a bunch of unskilled back-ups for the next 10 years go 5-11 every year while he busts the jets cap? There will be a cap again.

Or are you simply living in the moment and are all in for just 1 year? If you watched Hard Knocks the Jets are having to cut guys like Coles or T-Rich right now for budget reasons, guys like Dustin Keller and Shonne Green will be playing elsewhere because of this greedy prick.

Archived