Woodhead > Clowney

Jetsfan80

One of the topics that got somewhat buried because of the Revis signing (as well as the Tony Richardson story) is the Woodhead vs. Clowney debate. It seems to be the case that the Jets chose to give Woodhead a roster spot over Clowney, and it also seems to be the case that this has outraged more than a few fans. The crux of the issue is that Clowney has superior athletic gifts compared to Woodhead, and if Woodhead wasn't a "scrappy white guy", no way he makes the team.

I disagree with this line of thinking.

David Clowney has been given chance after chance with this team. Yes, he has lot's of "raw ability". However, this "raw ability" has remained "raw" ever since he's been in green & white. This is the type of player who will NEVER get it. He couldn't become any kind of deep threat in his passing game other than a few great preseason outings. He couldn't make it with Westhoff's special teams unit, which is really the death blow for any player trying to make the roster. Woodhead, for all his physical limitations, is at least willing to get dirty and do what Coach Westhoff asks of him on S/T.

With three quality receivers now on the roster, Clowney no longer is even a serviceable guy to have on the roster at all....once Holmes returns, he becomes a # 5 receiver who is useless on special teams. Woodhead, and even recent acquisition, the disappointing Patrick Turner, should be able to provide more for this team than what Clowney brought to the table.

So long Clowney, and good riddance.

One of the topics that got somewhat buried because of the Revis signing (as well as the Tony Richardson story) is the Woodhead vs. Clowney debate. It seems to be the case that the Jets chose to give Woodhead a roster spot over Clowney, and it also seems to be the case that this has outraged more than a few fans. The crux of the issue is that Clowney has superior athletic gifts compared to Woodhead, and if Woodhead wasn't a "scrappy white guy", no way he makes the team.

I disagree with this line of thinking.

David Clowney has been given chance after chance with this team. Yes, he has lot's of "raw ability". However, this "raw ability" has remained "raw" ever since he's been in green & white. This is the type of player who will NEVER get it. He couldn't become any kind of deep threat in his passing game other than a few great preseason outings. He couldn't make it with Westhoff's special teams unit, which is really the death blow for any player trying to make the roster. Woodhead, for all his physical limitations, is at least willing to get dirty and do what Coach Westhoff asks of him on S/T.

With three quality receivers now on the roster, Clowney no longer is even a serviceable guy to have on the roster at all....once Holmes returns, he becomes a # 5 receiver who is useless on special teams. Woodhead, and even recent acquisition, the disappointing Patrick Turner, should be able to provide more for this team than what Clowney brought to the table.

So long Clowney, and good riddance.

Who is up in arms about this? I was probably Clowney's biggest supporter on this board and it doesn't bother me much. Clowney is a better WR, but since they elected to cut Washington, I'm not surprised they went with Woodhead who is a little more versatile. Clowney was a decent option at WR. He's gotten some catches and had a TD. I have no recollection of him ever dropping a ball and he had two games better than any game Coles had in 2009. The biggest problem is that none of them has lit it up on specials and Turner isn't likely to either considering his alleged lack of burst. I just don't see a reason for the hate. Other than his twitter, Clowney has been a model citizen and he showed up when the needed him. He's not Jerry Rice, big deal. There's a good chance he'll land somewhere and have a nice little career.

Good post, but I don't know that the anti-Woodhead group measured it Woodhead v. Clowney as a head-to-head. IMO, neither of them really deserve a roster spot, but of the two, Woodhead deserves it more simply based on the fact that Clowney has had several years to make an impact and has never done it. Woodhead, though unlikely, could find a niche and become useful to an NFL team. Maybe in one of those post-season flag football exhibition things.

Woodhead brings more to the table as he is much more versitable. Clowney never developed into a good route runner. Danny could be either a 3rd down back or line him up in the slot in a passing down. We will have Holmes in week 5 and beyond on the outside, Edwards can be on the other end, and Cotch can be anywhere. For a number 4 or 5 WR on the depth chart, you need to be a jack of trades to have an impact, and Woodhead has that. Even if he is listed as a RB, I see him doing more damage in the passing game besides he ST duties. How 'bout him at KR or PR?

Woodhead brings more to the table as he is much more versitable. Clowney never developed into a good route runner. Danny could be either a 3rd down back or line him up in the slot in a passing down. We will have Holmes in week 5 and beyond on the outside, Edwards can be on the other end, and Cotch can be anywhere. For a number 4 or 5 WR on the depth chart, you need to be a jack of trades to have an impact, and Woodhead has that. Even if he is listed as a RB, I see him doing more damage in the passing game besides he ST duties. How 'bout him at KR or PR?

I don't know, but I'd have to think that if he had any ability as a return man they'd have tried him. I can't remember him getting touches as a returner. I wonder who will be handling the punt returns. Leonhard? With Pool injured and Holmes out for 4 week, Leonhard and Cotchery are pretty valuable to risk. Maybe they will use McKnight, but Rex didn't sound like he'd be keepin him active after Thursday's debacle.

I don't know, but I'd have to think that if he had any ability as a return man they'd have tried him. I can't remember him getting touches as a returner. I wonder who will be handling the punt returns. Leonhard? With Pool injured and Holmes out for 4 week, Leonhard and Cotchery are pretty valuable to risk. Maybe they will use McKnight, but Rex didn't sound like he'd be keepin him active after Thursday's debacle.

I think Woodhead doesn't return kicks because he would be killed on the tackle. I don't think many people have any idea just how tiny this dude is. I know he's listed at 200 lbs., but he's 200 lbs. the same way my dlck is 37 inches long.

I think Woodhead doesn't return kicks because he would be killed on the tackle. I don't think many people have any idea just how tiny this dude is. I know he's listed at 200 lbs., but he's 200 lbs. the same way my dlck is 37 inches long.

Okay, Long Dong! I don't think it matters how big he is. If they are going to keep him, they should see what value they can get out of him. The guy is disposable anyway. Play him until he gets hurt, IR him and sign another defecto.

Who is up in arms about this? I was probably Clowney's biggest supporter on this board and it doesn't bother me much. Clowney is a better WR, but since they elected to cut Washington, I'm not surprised they went with Woodhead who is a little more versatile. Clowney was a decent option at WR. He's gotten some catches and had a TD. I have no recollection of him ever dropping a ball and he had two games better than any game Coles had in 2009. The biggest problem is that none of them has lit it up on specials and Turner isn't likely to either considering his alleged lack of burst. I just don't see a reason for the hate. Other than his twitter, Clowney has been a model citizen and he showed up when the needed him. He's not Jerry Rice, big deal. There's a good chance he'll land somewhere and have a nice little career.

Well said.

I agree with Santonio Shane on why does this have to be a 'measurement' between Woodhead and Clowney. The fact remains that David as impressive of a young man as he is with his off the field philanthropy is a guy who has been given a lot of opportunities here and has never really improved. Danny Woodhead is a player who I was like "what is this little kid doing on the field" to a player who has really opened my eyes and made me take notice of him. This is really all about Laveranues vs Clowney and who gets to wear the #87. Last year in the AFCC game it was Clowney who couldn't make a defensive play on an errant pass from Sanchez that got tipped and picked off and sealed the game for Indy. When that play happened I remembered thinking how Coles would have either caught that pass or knocked it down and Coles was a Bengal at the time. Also, Patrick Turner is 6'6" and gives us something that a lot of us have been screaming for ever since Big Al From NYC asked Al Groh on a radio call-in if he would please make a trade with Pittsburgh for Plaxico Burress (Thor and Night Stalker will remember)

If you held a gun to my head I suppose I would say Jim Leonhard will be our punt returner. Hate to risk him getting hurt, but he's sure-handed and has some shiftiness to him.

I love Leonhard. But he shouldn't be used as a PR. He is steady but that's about it. Plus he doesn't want to do it, says it takes a toll on your body.

I love Leonhard. But he shouldn't be used as a PR. He is steady but that's about it. Plus he doesn't want to do it, says it takes a toll on your body.

Using a starting defensive player as a punt returner doesn't make sense to me because he's going straight from playing to returning without a rest.

As to Woodhead, I only hope some day they give him a 20 carry game in the regular season we can know once and for all if he can play. One single game could end this debate forever, I don't know why the Jets won't do it.

Archived