Is Randy Johnson the best LHP of all time?

SenorGato

yeah Sandy Bumarm didn't have nearly as long a leak, and Randy's best seasons were statistically more dominant. you just have a boner for folklore if you think Koufax was the best.

Repped for truf.

Not that I'm not a huge Koufax fan...that curve was legit from the youtube stuff I've seen. It had the 12-6 of a Zito curve with the low 80's velocity of a Ben Sheets curve. It's just that he tends to get overrated historically for a few reasons.

Pedro Martinez is going to be the new Sandy Koufax in a few years.

I may be biased because my Dad grew up a Brooklyn/LA Dodger fan and saw Koufax pitch firsthand. But that Dodger offense was always just anemic for Koufax and he found ways to win a lot of 1-0 and 2-1 games. He's the main reason Drysdale made the Hall....without Koufax, there's no Koufax/Drysdale duo and no 1963 & 1965 World Title (he won World Series MVP both years).

If you want to fault Koufax for getting hurt, fine, but for a 5-year stretch, you'd be hard-pressed to find a more dominant pitcher and a more important one to his team. The man had THREE pitching triple crowns. And as Brooklyn said, there's probably no other pitcher you'd prefer to hand the ball to to win you one game.

If you needed to win 1 game, who would you take?

Sandy Koufax.

That's no given...Bob Gibson...Randy Johnson was damn good in his playoff career, especially the WS....Clemens never lost a WS game...there's plenty more...

Personally, I'd probably go Gibson.

If you want to fault Koufax for getting hurt, fine, but for a 5-year stretch, you'd be hard-pressed to find a more dominant pitcher and a more important one to his team

Pedro Martinez...'97-'02.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/martipe02.shtml#1997-2003-sum:pitching_simple

Keep in mind that he did this in a hitter's park, in the hitter's league, in a hitter's division, during a hitter's era.

Koufax's home/road splits are famously uneven...one of the knocks on him when ranking him historically.

That's no given...Bob Gibson...Randy Johnson was damn good in his playoff career, especially the WS....Clemens never lost a WS game...there's plenty more...

Personally, I'd probably go Gibson.

Pedro Martinez...'97-'02.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/martipe02.shtml#1997-2003-sum:pitching_simple

Keep in mind that he did this in a hitter's park, in the hitter's league, in a hitter's division, during a hitter's era.

Koufax's home/road splits are famously uneven...one of the knocks on him when ranking him historically.

They are all great pitchers, but IMO Koufax had the more un-hittable stuff, and Pedro was RHP, Blackout said LHP.

Let's put it this way from someone who grew up in that era. Sandy Koufax was as dominate a pitcher you could find. In his prime, I would put him up against anyone...anyone! And that includes by beloved Yankees and Whitey Ford.

It's too bad that arthritic elbow kept him from even more success. I would take him against any lefty/righty...he was that good. I would get into debates when I was kid with my best friend who was a Dodger fan. I would always tell him Ford was better, but down deep, I knew it was Koufax...I just wouldn't give him the benefit of the doubt.

Oddest Koufax story-he was retired well over 10 years. As a goof, Tommy Lasorda asked him pitch batting practice to the NL Champion 1977 Dodgers before the start of the World Series against the Yankees.Koufax complied after asking his doctor for clearance. The Dodgers' brass thought it would be a cute story.

Instead Koufax, hitting the low 90s on the gun and still displaying his curve, struck out everybody. He hadn't toed a rubber in over a decade and kept himself in reasonable shape, but even with a decade plus of rust he was able to stifle a pennant winner. Said there was great concern afterward that the whole idea had backfired because the Dodgers' confidence was shot.

Archived