Another sideline tripping incident earns player a fine

Jetfan13

By Chris Chase

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Video-Another-sideline-tripping-incident-earns-?urn=nfl-297986

A New York Jets coach isn't the only one throwing up human obstacles on the sideline during punt coverage. FOX Sports' Jay Glazer reported on Sunday that the NFL was "quietly investigating" another incident last week involving Tyler Brayton(notes) of the Carolina Panthers, in which the defensive end ran off the bench to elbow an Atlanta Falcons player in the head after he was blocked out of bounds during a punt return.

The fine was issued on Friday but was not made public.

It wasn't made public? Are the league offices turning into the Nixon White House? If there was every any doubt that the league is more interested in the perception of caring about player safety rather than the practice of it, this is it. The NFL made a big to-do about Sal Alosi and issued him a harsh punishment befitting that outrage. Brayton does something that's much worse and much more dirty (he ran over to play and threw an elbow) and the league tries a Friday news dump and issues a nominal fine?

Brayton was forced to pay $15,000 from his $2.2 million salary, while Alosi earned a suspension for the rest of the season and a $25,000 fine. And he makes a normal salary as a strength and conditioning coach, not the millions Brayton does. That's pure and utter hypocrisy. (Throw in the fact that Brayton has a past history of dirty play and it's even worse. In 2006 he was fined $25,000 for kneeing another player in the groin.)

If both Alosi and Brayton did the same thing on the same day, logic dictates that they're far from the only team members to engage in these sorts of practices. The NFL has issued warnings to teams about forming walls on the sideline and that seemed like the respectable thing to do. Trying to cover up another incident re-raises the red flag though.

There's a problem with NFL punt returns and the league needs to act more strongly than issuing another memo. Something is happening here and I don't know what it is. Do you, Mr. Goodell?

By Chris Chase

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Video-Another-sideline-tripping-incident-earns-?urn=nfl-297986

A New York Jets coach isn't the only one throwing up human obstacles on the sideline during punt coverage. FOX Sports' Jay Glazer reported on Sunday that the NFL was "quietly investigating" another incident last week involving Tyler Brayton(notes) of the Carolina Panthers, in which the defensive end ran off the bench to elbow an Atlanta Falcons player in the head after he was blocked out of bounds during a punt return.

The fine was issued on Friday but was not made public.

It wasn't made public? Are the league offices turning into the Nixon White House? If there was every any doubt that the league is more interested in the perception of caring about player safety rather than the practice of it, this is it. The NFL made a big to-do about Sal Alosi and issued him a harsh punishment befitting that outrage. Brayton does something that's much worse and much more dirty (he ran over to play and threw an elbow) and the league tries a Friday news dump and issues a nominal fine?

Brayton was forced to pay $15,000 from his $2.2 million salary, while Alosi earned a suspension for the rest of the season and a $25,000 fine. And he makes a normal salary as a strength and conditioning coach, not the millions Brayton does. That's pure and utter hypocrisy. (Throw in the fact that Brayton has a past history of dirty play and it's even worse. In 2006 he was fined $25,000 for kneeing another player in the groin.)

If both Alosi and Brayton did the same thing on the same day, logic dictates that they're far from the only team members to engage in these sorts of practices. The NFL has issued warnings to teams about forming walls on the sideline and that seemed like the respectable thing to do. Trying to cover up another incident re-raises the red flag though.

There's a problem with NFL punt returns and the league needs to act more strongly than issuing another memo. Something is happening here and I don't know what it is. Do you, Mr. Goodell?

You are correct, but you miss one key point.

The NFL fined Brayton.

The JETS fined/suspended Alosi.

Doesn't mean Brayton should have got less.. (he should be suspended) but that's why the difference.

You are correct, but you miss one key point.

The NFL fined Brayton.

The JETS fined/suspended Alosi.

Doesn't mean Brayton should have got less.. (he should be suspended) but that's why the difference.

I don't care about the amounts of fines or lengths of suspensions and who punished who. What I do care about is the complete lack of outrage directed at Brayton as oppposed to Alosi when what Brayton did was significantly worse and much more obvious.

These things are killing me...I've now seen like 5 different shots of coaches or players on the sideline either forming a wall, preventing a player from getting back on the field or now a guy full on assaulting another player.

sh*t clearly happens, but this big to do about nothing is overboard now because its the NY Jets.

I had a guy at the bar yesterday tell me that Jets fans should be embarrassed about what Asoli did. I felt bad for the guy because I ripped him (ofcourse he was a Dolphag fan)...but why on earth should I be embarrassed about something that I have absolutely no control over from a guy who nobody on earth knew till last Sunday. It has no bearing on my life or anyone else for that matter.

I then asked him, are you embarrassed that your team asked Dez Bryant if his mother was a whore? Or are you embarrassed that Phillip Merling beat his pregnant wife? He just looked at me with a blank face and had nothing to say...lol

These things are killing me...I've now seen like 5 different shots of coaches or players on the sideline either forming a wall, preventing a player from getting back on the field or now a guy full on assaulting another player.

sh*t clearly happens, but this big to do about nothing is overboard now because its the NY Jets.

I had a guy at the bar yesterday tell me that Jets fans should be embarrassed about what Asoli did. I felt bad for the guy because I ripped him (ofcourse he was a Dolphag fan)...but why on earth should I be embarrassed about something that I have absolutely no control over from a guy who nobody on earth knew till last Sunday. It has no bearing on my life or anyone else for that matter.

I then asked him, are you embarrassed that your team asked Dez Bryant if his mother was a whore? Or are you embarrassed that Phillip Merling beat his pregnant wife? He just looked at me with a blank face and had nothing to say...lol

You should have knocked him down and pissed on him. Of all the nerve!

You should have knocked him down and pissed on him. Of all the nerve!

Ha! I think he thought that was coming next which is why he said nothing...but then laughed like it was going out of style when I cracked a joke a little bit later.

He also didnt know I was a Jets fan at that point.

Ha! I think he thought that was coming next which is why he said nothing...but then laughed like it was going out of style when I cracked a joke a little bit later.

All kidding aside, don't you love these idiots who think you, as a fan, should be held personally responsible for the actions of anyone remotely associated with the team you root for?

I got a Steelers fan here at work, who conveniently hasn't shown his face today, who has given me nothing but grief over every little thing the Jets have said and done this year, from Rex cursing to Inez Sainz to Sal Alosi, as if these people all answer to me personally. But did I give him the third degree over Roethlisberger's penchant for raping women? Of course not.

Its like the morons who give Yankees fans crap over the payroll, as if I'm signing the friggin' checks. :rolleyes:

Heh, that's the best kind of ownage. The kind where you abuse them so bad they start to like you and think you're a friend. Ownage.

You have to question the Jets PR dept. and how they handle these situations. Another example was earlier in the week Geno Hayes, a LB for Tampa was arrested for a DUI, and the next day Raheem Morris said he was playing. With Braylon it took days to come to a decision and the talking heads were outraged that they let him play. This Geno Hayes story barely gets mentioned anywhere.

You have to question the Jets PR dept. and how they handle these situations. Another example was earlier in the week Geno Hayes, a LB for Tampa was arrested for a DUI, and the next day Raheem Morris said he was playing. With Braylon it took days to come to a decision and the talking heads were outraged that they let him play. This Geno Hayes story barely gets mentioned anywhere.

Its not the PR department's fault the Jets are the most interesting team in the league.

Is that a function of the Jets PR department or the national media making a bigger deal out it because they are a high profile team now?

Is that a function of the Jets PR department or the national media making a bigger deal out it because they are a high profile team now?

It definitely makes it more difficult being that they are in a large market, but I still think a better job of damage control can be done.

The Giants are in the same market and it seems like they protect their image, for the most part. This past offseason the Jets were killed for the PSL policy, the Giants made no big deal about it and little agression from the media was really directed towards them, or so it seemed as a jets fan.

I think the NY media is what actually makes it spiral out of control. Most in the national media seem to know these things happen, the NY media are the ones who get on high horses and rip the Jets more often.

All kidding aside, don't you love these idiots who think you, as a fan, should be held personally responsible for the actions of anyone remotely associated with the team you root for?

I got a Steelers fan here at work, who conveniently hasn't shown his face today, who has given me nothing but grief over every little thing the Jets have said and done this year, from Rex cursing to Inez Sainz to Sal Alosi, as if these people all answer to me personally. But did I give him the third degree over Roethlisberger's penchant for raping women? Of course not.

Its like the morons who give Yankees fans crap over the payroll, as if I'm signing the friggin' checks. :rolleyes:

Yeah...I'm actually the last person to ever talk sh*t to others about their team, or a game, etc...but people love to run to me and tell me all about something negative when it pertains to the Jets or the Gators...as if I give a ****.

I thinks its a combo of playing in NY and the target the Jets have on them right now because the Jets talk enough to push them into National headlines.

It definitely makes it more difficult being that they are in a large market, but I still think a better job of damage control can be done.

The Giants are in the same market and it seems like they protect their image, for the most part. This past offseason the Jets were killed for the PSL policy, the Giants made no big deal about it and little agression from the media was really directed towards them, or so it seemed as a jets fan.

I think Jets fans were just more vocal about it than Giants fans.

The Giants had just as many problems selling tickets and burned through an even longer waiting list than the Jets did. Their fans just didn't shout as loudly about it as Jets fans did.

Don't forget: people in the upper deck for Giants games are paying PSLs, people in the upper deck for Jets games are not.

I thought the Jets PSL plan was more fair and certainly more creative, what with the auction for the primo seats, which unfortunately for the Jets was a complete disaster. But because that happened, the Jets got more crap.

I think Jets fans were just more vocal about it than Giants fans.

The Giants had just as many problems selling tickets and burned through an even longer waiting list than the Jets did. Their fans just didn't shout as loudly about it as Jets fans did.

Don't forget: people in the upper deck for Giants games are paying PSLs, people in the upper deck for Jets games are not.

I thought the Jets PSL plan was more fair and certainly more creative, what with the auction for the primo seats, which unfortunately for the Jets was a complete disaster. But because that happened, the Jets got more crap.

I agree that the Jets plan was much more fair, giving a non-PSL option, but they were not treated that way in the eyes of the NY meadia, which like you said, must have a lot to do with Jets fans making more noise about it. But other than on their own website did I see a positive story about the non-PSL option or the payment plan options (which the Giants also did not offer).

It just seems like if roles were reversed the Giants would have articles in major papers applauding them for their policy in a tough matter.

I agree that the Jets plan was much more fair, giving a non-PSL option, but they were not treated that way in the eyes of the NY meadia, which like you said, must have a lot to do with Jets fans making more noise about it. But other than on their own website did I see a positive story about the non-PSL option or the payment plan options (which the Giants also did not offer).

It just seems like if roles were reversed the Giants would have articles in major papers applauding them for their policy in a tough matter.

Probably but who really gives a crap?

You know when the local media will start being fair to the Jets? The day the Jets start winning championships. Winning has always and will always be the great equalizer.

The only problem I have with what you just said is that, as fans, we inherently take credit (and blame) for things we don't do.

Archived