Are Jets fans inherently pessimistic and miserable?

pfilippone

Not at all. Parcells was the best thing that has ever happened to the Jets over the past 25 years. Lets not pretend he didnt make his mistakes either, though.

True, and true. As did Lombardi, Walsh, Polian, everybody. It's just weird how we go through these cycles where we try to elevate Herm and now Rex by pointing out that Parcells once drafted Dorian Boose and had Leon Johnson throw a bad pass. I never understand how we get there as fans. It reminds me of old people talking about how perfect the world was in the 50's and how f'ed up it is today, but in reverse.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

+1.

It makes you wonder if everyone has watched the same games this year. We are extremely fortunate to be 10-5 and if we lose to the Bills, we limp into the play-offs having lost 4 of 5 with the one win being aided by a huge non pass interference call in our favor.

11-5 or 10-6 is about where I had us looking at the schedule during the pre-season but I expected a much better overall product.

Its the New England factor, imo. Rex was brought in to slay the dragon and that dragon ate our balls in front of the nation. Going into that game, it was going to be the watershed moment of Rex's tenure (so far) and he got destroyed. Biggest game of his career (last year's playoffs being house money games), and he got killed. It opened the door to a metric ton of questions.

True, and true. As did Lombardi, Walsh, Polian, everybody. It's just weird how we go through these cycles where we try to elevate Herm and now Rex by pointing out that Parcells once drafted Dorian Boose and had Leon Johnson throw a bad pass. I never understand how we get there as fans. It reminds me of old people talking about how perfect the world was in the 50's and how f'ed up it is today, but in reverse.

Herm was a disaster. Herm didnt understand football. Rex is neither of those things.

you know what says a lot about jets fans ?

their LT makes the pro -bowl and no one cares

now, if he sucked, he would be daily fodder like some DE/OLB around here.....

Ehhhhhhhhhh. Two things: it took Brick a long time to get to this level, and even at this level he's still probably the third or fourth best LT in the AFC. I'm glad he's on our team, but I'm not planning a trip to Canton for his enshrinement just yet.

Its the New England factor, imo. Rex was brought in to slay the dragon and that dragon ate our balls in front of the nation. Going into that game, it was going to be the watershed moment of Rex's tenure (so far) and he got destroyed. Biggest game of his career (last year's playoffs being house money games), and he got killed. It opened the door to a metric ton of questions.

Very true. Problem is for me at least, all those questions had already reared their ugly heads in the Browns, Packers, Lions and Denver games. Not sure what to make of the team at this point. I think with all the current flaws getting to the 2nd round of the play-offs would be a success.

Oh thats right, we had Anthony Pleasant and Rick Lyle as defensive ends. my man Otis smith and Victor (I miss the coverage lol) Green. we had Kyle Brady and fred baxter at tight end, Dedric ward as the slot receiver.

NO WAY that 98 team had more talent the present day Jets.

Anthony Pleasant was Parcells boy. So was Otis. Lyle and Pleasant were better than Pouha and Devito. You have the nerve to bring up a safety when this team is forced by injury to play a reject CB there? Kyle Brady was a higher pick then Keller and Baxter was fine. Certainly better than Mulligan or Hartsock. You bring up Dedric Ward (3rd rounder) but not the #1 overall? Holmes equates to a 5th rounder. Let's not forget Mr. All-Time Jet First Ballot HOF in his PRIME at RB.

Yeah, and he didnt even start the season as a starter. Foley did. I wonder who the wise man was that picked him up as a fa that year.

Who are we supposed to blame for starting Foley? Kotite? I believe picking up Vinny T was supposed to be Belichick's idea.

I'm the one that brought Parcells into this. It's the guy's screen name so it seemed natural. Rex has had success and is having success and I don't see why we should be bashing him. There is a difference between complaining about the clock management or certain decisions and claiming the guy has no track record and saying he is mishandling things when the team has basically been rolling under his leadership.

Any way that you look at it, except maybe etiquette-wise, Rex has been a success as a Jets coach. That doesn't mean he isn't making mistakes and shouldn't be called out on them, but I think BP goes way beyond that. He keeps claiming that the guy has no track record and doesn't learn, yet the team keeps improving. They are better in 2010 than in 2009 and they were better in 2009 than 2008. This despite getting rid of their HOF QB and pro bowl RB and losing Jenkins both years. If BP thinks this team is so ultra-talented maybe he should get Mikey T's name tattooed on his boob too.

Hey, don't tell stoic that! we're 1-3 in our last 4 games and on another classic playoff run! WOO HOO!

The Jets will win 11 games this year. The most they ever won is 12 (I believe). Not a bad season, especially for a 2nd year head coach.

I like what I am seeing overall. Plenty of room for improvement but that is the good part. 11 wins this year and they can get much better. I like that.

Anthony Pleasant was Parcells boy. So was Otis. Lyle and Pleasant were better than Pouha and Devito. You have the nerve to bring up a safety when this team is forced by injury to play a reject CB there? Kyle Brady was a higher pick then Keller and Baxter was fine. Certainly better than Mulligan or Hartsock. You bring up Dedric Ward (3rd rounder) but not the #1 overall? Holmes equates to a 5th rounder. Let's not forget Mr. All-Time Jet First Ballot HOF in his PRIME at RB.

Kyle Brady was a high draft pick by Kotite. he was awful. Donovan Darius knocked him out and made him fumble at the goal line in the Jags playoff game. thank god he fell on the ball a sleep. biggest pussy I have ever seen. Curtis Martin (Mr Hall of fame rb) was the reason Vinny blew his Achilles out in 99. if he doesnt fumble on that play Vinny is healthy.

Keyshawn and Holmes are a wash, why would I bring him up? lol at you building up Brady, he sucked. Keller is much better.

Who are we supposed to blame for starting Foley? Kotite? I believe picking up Vinny T was supposed to be Belichick's idea.

Foley played very well on opening day against the 49ers. he sucked the following week against the Ravens but got hurt. at the time I liked Foley and wasnt sure about Vinny.

And who was Belichick to listen to at that time? he had just flopped in Cleveland.

The Jets will win 11 games this year. The most they ever won is 12 (I believe). Not a bad season, especially for a 2nd year head coach.

I like what I am seeing overall. Plenty of room for improvement but that is the good part. 11 wins this year and they can get much better. I like that.

And Herm Edwards will win a super bowl as HC of the NYJ :lol:

Kyle Brady was a high draft pick by Kotite. he was awful. Donovan Darius knocked him out and made him fumble at the goal line in the Jags playoff game. thank god he fell on the ball a sleep. biggest pussy I have ever seen. Curtis Martin (Mr Hall of fame rb) was the reason Vinny blew his Achilles out in 99. if he doesnt fumble on that play Vinny is healthy.

Keyshawn and Holmes are a wash, why would I bring him up? lol at you building up Brady, he sucked. Keller is much better.

Foley played very well on opening day against the 49ers. he sucked the following week against the Ravens but got hurt. at the time I liked Foley and wasnt sure about Vinny.

And who was Belichick to listen to at that time? he had just flopped in Cleveland.

Why are the current Jets so talented? Because they are high draft picks or because they play well? If you go by how they play, I say Rex is why they play well. Plenty of these guys blew monkeys for Mangini and others.

If you go by draft position then IMO Holmes is a 5th rounder and Edwards and Cromartie are what? 3rds? If you don't accept that, then Testicles and Keyshawn were #1 overall and you've got Farrior and plenty of others. You think 2010 has more talent, I don't. It's not like they were an untalented team in 1998 though I suppose you just wanted somebody to post this:

Thanks Tom. The 1998 reference is a good one. That team over achieved big time.

Why are the current Jets so talented? Because they are high draft picks or because they play well? If you go by how they play, I say Rex is why they play well. Plenty of these guys blew monkeys for Mangini and others.

If you go by draft position then IMO Holmes is a 5th rounder and Edwards and Cromartie are what? 3rds? If you don't accept that, then Testicles and Keyshawn were #1 overall and you've got Farrior and plenty of others. You think 2010 has more talent, I don't. It's not like they were an untalented team in 1998 though I suppose you just wanted somebody to post this:

Thanks Tom. The 1998 reference is a good one. That team over achieved big time.

Have you been reading the board recently? people are now saying that this team has no talent on defense. of course that was only after the New England Monday night game.

Have you been reading the board recently? people are now saying that this team has no talent on defense. of course that was only after the New England Monday night game.

Yeah, this is like me fighting with Serphx over Sanchez. He says Sanchez is carrying the team and I say that's a joke. Many of his responses point to Sanchez not being a bust for a 2nd year player with limited experience. Sometimes we end up fighting with the board instead of the person we are responding to.

IMO the '98 team was at least as talented as the 2010 team. OTOH, some of the talented guys we have now come with some baggage that hurts us overall. We didn't get Holmes, Cromartie, Pool and Edwards because they were perfect players. They each have something going on and many of those things are discipline problems. These guys wore their welcomes out with other teams and they are performing here. They aren't perfect and Rex is getting something out of them.

Yeah, this is like me fighting with Serphx over Sanchez. He says Sanchez is carrying the team and I say that's a joke. Many of his responses point to Sanchez not being a bust for a 2nd year player with limited experience. Sometimes we end up fighting with the board instead of the person we are responding to.

IMO the '98 team was at least as talented as the 2010 team. OTOH, some of the talented guys we have now come with some baggage that hurts us overall. We didn't get Holmes, Cromartie, Pool and Edwards because they were perfect players. They each have something going on and many of those things are discipline problems. These guys wore their welcomes out with other teams and they are performing here. They aren't perfect and Rex is getting something out of them.

I didnt like it when the Jets picked up Cox in 98. he had just been cut by the Bears for discipline problems and was out of football. he comes here and theres a halo over his head. Im not quite sure if thats all Parcells or just the difference between 1998 and 2010. there seems to be a lot more players with baggage now than back then overall in pro sports.

I didnt like it when the Jets picked up Cox in 98. he had just been cut by the Bears for discipline problems and was out of football. he comes here and theres a halo over his head. Im not quite sure if thats all Parcells or just the difference between 1998 and 2010. there seems to be a lot more players with baggage now than back then overall in pro sports.

Sure. Parcells had his "guys". Bobby Hamilton, Cox, Martin. Those guys loved him and they played their asses off for him. Rex is similar.

There are guys with baggage that we don't even know about. Guys like Abram Elam and Wayne Hunter. Those guys are "troubled". I think with the media, cellphones and twitter this stuff gets out quicker. When I was a kid there were rumors about guys, but you never knew for sure. Even when I knew for sure, everybody else didn't and vice versa. Now we know who got picked up for DUI before they even hit the cell.

Archived