Rolle says playing for Coughlin no fun.

visajets

**** YEAH!!!! THIS IS EPIC!!!!

Seriously, Rex is doing it. When as a Jets fan have you ever heard a player say they want to play of our team and our HC.

He's changing everything I grew up knowing about the NY Jets. As much as I want to see my favorite team finally put it all together, I want it that much more for Rex Ryan.

I ******* love that guy.

So apparently both Rolle and Phillips are unhappy with Coughlin and are Rex fans? Yeah, I'd take either of them on the Jets in two seconds flat.

Oh, and am I the only one who thinks that part of the article about Coughlin taking all the blame is a load of crap? The guy is notorious for saying everything is all his fault, and then going on a diatribe letting you know all of the players who's fault he really believes it to be, before ending telling you it's his fault again. It comes off as more him saying what he thinks he's supposed to then believing a word of it.

Other than that, how apologetic this writer is for the Giants is borderline pathetic. God forbid anyone publishes an unkind word about the Giants without spending half the article defending them. What a joke.

**** YEAH!!!! THIS IS EPIC!!!!

Seriously, Rex is doing it. When as a Jets fan have you ever heard a player say they want to play of our team and our HC.

He's changing everything I grew up knowing about the NY Jets. As much as I want to see my favorite team finally put it all together, I want it that much more for Rex Ryan.

I ******* love that guy.

Truth. Wasn;t long ago that free agents would rather take less money to play anywhere but NY. Now we got guys willing to die for their coach. I see people accepting a little less next year and us keeping a lot of this talent. I do.

This is like Jerry McGuire.

Coughlin is a good HC, but he has some major flaws.

As Bleedin mentioned, Coughlin absolutely throws players under the bus. Coughlin couldn't get killed enough for what he did to Matt Dodge.

No HC in his right mind would do what Coughlin did to the kid. Yes, the kid made a mistake but that wasn't why they lost. Coughlin was more responsible as was Fewell. But now, he had to go after the rookie punter.

""I would love to play for a guy like Rex," Phillips said. "He goes to bat for his players. He'll take the blame, he allows you to be you. He's not asking you to hide. If you're a guy who likes to talk, go out and talk, long as you back it up. Like 'Trel said, His guys are playing for him and I'd love to be a part of that.""

that's encouraging. We'll see if players sacrifice thier purse a bit to play for him. Mevis didn't. The fact that we now have to be considered SB contenders for the foreseeable future, should make us even more attractive to guys looking to win one before retiring.

I don't think I've ever seen players openly express an interest in playing for another team's coach, especially when they've never even played for the guy before. After this year Taylor and LT will probably retire and ride off into the sunset. The Jets ought to be able to constantly bring in vets and draft core players giving them time to develop at this rate.

I don't think I've ever seen players openly express an interest in playing for another team's coach, especially when they've never even played for the guy before. After this year Taylor and LT will probably retire and ride off into the sunset. The Jets ought to be able to constantly bring in vets and draft core players giving them time to develop at this rate.

Not for nothing, but Herm Edwards was one of the more admired coaches by other players in the league also.

I am not trying to make any statement with that, other than to tell it like it was. Belichick is high on the "want to play for" scale also.

Truth. Wasn;t long ago that free agents would rather take less money to play anywhere but NY. Now we got guys willing to die for their coach. I see people accepting a little less next year and us keeping a lot of this talent. I do.

I was just talking about this with the wife a little while ago and cited the John Lynch example. He was being courted by Herm who was his son's godfather and he decided to go to Denver instead. Now guys who aren't even NFL players (some dude from the NBA) want to play for Rex.

""I would love to play for a guy like Rex," Phillips said. "He goes to bat for his players. He'll take the blame, he allows you to be you. He's not asking you to hide. If you're a guy who likes to talk, go out and talk, long as you back it up. Like 'Trel said, His guys are playing for him and I'd love to be a part of that.""

that's encouraging. We'll see if players sacrifice thier purse a bit to play for him. Mevis didn't. The fact that we now have to be considered SB contenders for the foreseeable future, should make us even more attractive to guys looking to win one before retiring.

I think you have to look at Revis as more of an exception than a rule. Part of it is his own personality (in 3 years he's held out twice and already threatened a third) and the fact that he's clearly a good enough player to be able to get away with crazy demands. That said, there's already great signs of that going forward. Between that players poll about who they'd most want to play for, the number of times you see Rex mentioned by other team's players and what you get out of this team's own upcoming free agents. The first example that comes to mind is Braylon Edwards, who has been saying every chance he's gotten since the offseason that there's nowhere he wants to be going forward more than the New York Jets, and he'll do whatever it takes to make that happen. It's a nice feeling to have for a team who's not so distant past included a head coach who couldn't get his child's godfather to come play for him.

Not for nothing, but Herm Edwards was one of the more admired coaches by other players in the league also.

I am not trying to make any statement with that, other than to tell it like it was. Belichick WAS high on the "want to play for" scale also.

No one wants to end up in Oakland like discarded trash.

It is crazy, man! I've NEVER seen players go so outwardly nuts over a coach. Bart Scott and Leonhard tripped over each other to get here. The fastest the Ravens CS ever saw Trevor Pryce move was when he cleared his locker out. lol He's saying every player on his team wishes they were coming....

Now the Giants are secretly looking across the hall at us!!

As wonderful as the past two years have been, going to the afcc, it's even better the wat we're doing it. No BS in the locker room, no dueling a-holes like Ocho and To, no feuds between coach and player, just 52 guys against the world!! Great stuff.

The Jets have created a new culture in the NFL. Thats what this is about at its core. For awhile it was the disciplinarians like Coughlin et al who ruled... Then the Pats came along with their secrecy stuff and doing things based on a system etc which everyone tried to copy to an extent... Now here comes Rex Ryan and his Jets. Talking sh*t... Broadcasting gameplans (to an extent), and backing it all up with on-field performance. A lunch-pail group of guys who are not afraid to put sh*t on the line and have each others backs...

Its the new "fab" of the NFL. Eventually Pettine, Schotty will become HC's and their mentalities will probably be similar. The more success Rex has, and the more his coaching tree has...the more teams will try to copy it. Very similar to what we saw for the past 6-8 years or so with everyone obsessed with doing things "the patriot way". Pretty soon the mantra around the league will be "play like a Brown". Or "Play like a Giant." The NFL is a copycat league, and organizations are always looking to duplicate the success of others.

It is crazy, man! I've NEVER seen players go so outwardly nuts over a coach. Bart Scott and Leonhard tripped over each other to get here. The fastest the Ravens CS ever saw Trevor Pryce move was when he cleared his locker out. lol He's saying every player on his team wishes they were coming....

Now the Giants are secretly looking across the hall at us!!

As wonderful as the past two years have been, going to the afcc, it's even better the wat we're doing it. No BS in the locker room, no dueling a-holes like Ocho and To, no feuds between coach and player, just 52 guys against the world!! Great stuff.

Not saying that those two didn't really, really want to play for Rex. But you really think any other team was going to grossly outbid us for either one of them?

Leonhard was a 185-lb UDFA backup safety with 0 seasons where he won the starting job. His one season where he started most of the season was only due to Landry getting knocked out for the season in week 3. For the remaining 13 starts, he played alongside Ed Reed, and behind a loaded 4-man LB corps (not to mention an offense that ate up tons of clock rushing the ball 600 times); enough to make any safety's job easier and greatly aid in masking deficiencies. Jets gave him $2M/year and no one was paying him more than that.

Bart Scott was signed to an $8M/year contract. Again, no one was out-bidding the Jets on that one.

So I'm sure both of them wanted to play for Rex more than anyone else. But the truth is the Jets made them such huge offers neither would have likely refused if those offers came from the Raiders.

Not saying that those two didn't really, really want to play for Rex. But you really think any other team was going to grossly outbid us for either one of them?

Leonhard was a 185-lb UDFA backup safety with 0 seasons where he won the starting job. His one season where he started most of the season was only due to Landry getting knocked out for the season in week 3. For the remaining 13 starts, he played alongside Ed Reed, and behind a loaded 4-man LB corps (not to mention an offense that ate up tons of clock rushing the ball 600 times); enough to make any safety's job easier and greatly aid in masking deficiencies. Jets gave him $2M/year and no one was paying him more than that.

Bart Scott was signed to an $8M/year contract. Again, no one was out-bidding the Jets on that one.

So I'm sure both of them wanted to play for Rex more than anyone else. But the truth is the Jets made them such huge offers neither would have likely refused if those offers came from the Raiders.

While I agree with you on Scott, it was widely reported at the time that Leonhard took less money to play for the Jets. If I'm not mistaken, I believe it was the Rams who were offering him something like another $1 million a year over the Jets offer, but he decided to stick with Rex. As far as Scott goes, the Jets just made him an offer nobody was going to beat right out of the gate. Rex has a major man-crush on that guy and the feeling is clearly mutual.

Archived