Tomlinson will return to Jets in 2011

Matt39

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/01/report-jets-will-bring-back-ladainian-tomlinson/

Jets G.M. Mike Tannenbaum said in January that LaDainian Tomlinson should be back with the team in 2011, but mentioned that “things could” change.

Things won’t change before a work stoppage.

ESPNNewYork.com’s Rich Cimini reports the Jets plan to bring back Tomlinson to pair with Shonn Gronne and Joe McKnight for a three-headed running back attack. Cimini notes that Tomlinson’s playoff effort against the Colts helped clinch his roster spot.

Things could always change in training camp, if there is a training camp. The team wants to use McKnight more, so Tomlinson’s workload is likely to be reduced. He’s due $2.4 million in 2011.

They should save him for 2012. How much further would we have gotten if the defense could tackle and if LT was hitting his stride in the playoffs?

I think we can get about 8 weeks from this guy. So his season should start with 4 games left to go in the regular season.

I see this as a good move - rotate the backs and LT is still a good receiver out of the backfield.

Exactly. Use him very sparingly in that role until we get later in the season. Guy still is great at making that first guy miss after catching the ball in space. Still fun to watch.

Several media outlets are reporting that running back LaDainian Tomlinson will be returning to the New York Jets for the 2011 season.  This is a smart move by the Jets as LT was a very effective receiver out of the backfield providing a safety valve for Mark Sanchez.  In addition Tomlinson did a tremendous job in pass protection, especially in blitz pickups.

LaDainian is scheduled to make approximately $2.1 million dollars for the 2011 season.

Conner named starter- The New York Daily News is reporting that the New York Jets are prepared to make John Conner the starting fullback.  This move makes sense for the Jets as Conner is a tough, physical player that should be able to create some holes in the running game.

There is no word on whether or not the Jets will try and bring back veteran fullback Tony Richardson.  My guess is that T-Rich’s days are over with the Jets.

di</img>di</img>

Gg6ZUpQa5wI

View the full article

It's too bad they don't have enough confidence in McNight yet as Tomlinson is nothing more than an overpaid solid backup Rb w/ good hands.

A solid back-up with good hands is exactly what this team needs, in lieu of not knowing Mcknight.

The jets backfield (not including qb), is not an area that is pressuring the cap.

Did I dream McKnight ran for 156 yards and maybe 2 TDs in an NFL game against the Bills... :rolleyes:

The Bills were one of the worst rush defenses and gave up 4.8 yards/ attempt. That is hard to do unless you are lying down. They had the team bus running in that last game, so excuse us if that does not figure as a McKnight milepost game.

He can still be cut if the Jets stumble upon someone unexpectedly. He wasn't due any major bonuses I haven't read anywhere that he cashed any for the 2011 season anyway. If they somehow need that last couple million on this year's cap to lock up someone young (Edwards, Holmes, Harris, etc) long-term, then I'm sure Tannenbaum will view the $2M they save by cutting a 32 year-old RB is going to look like a particularly ripe low-hanging fruit. Doubt it's going to come to that, but it's certainly possible.

Archived