Rule Change Will Hurt The NY Jets

JetNation

On Tuesday the National Football League announced a rule change that will move kickoffs to the 35-yard line (previously kicked from the 30).  This decision, which was made to enhance player safety, will drastically reduce the amount of kickoff returns in the NFL.

The New York Jets, ironically a team that voted in favor of the rule change, will be significantly impacted by this rule change as they were always considered one of the top return teams in the NFL.  Jets special teams coach Mike Westhoff, considered by many to be one of the best in the business, routinely devised schemes to give Gang Green a competitive advantage in the return game (approx 14 kor tds in the past 10 years).  This special teams advantage has now been eliminated by the recent rule change.

This rule change also decreases the value of a player like Brad Smith, an explosive kick returner that does not fill a full time roll on offense.  With a reduction in kickoff returns, what is Smith’s value as a 3rd or 4th receiver/part time wildcat quarterback?  This rule change could have cost Brad millions.

Parting shot: As a long time fan of the NFL, I absolutely hate this rule change.  The kickoff return has become one of the most exciting plays in football, and one that can decide the outcome of a game.  Brad Smith’s regular season return against the Steelers quickly comes to mind, not to mention any of Devin Hester’s returns with the Bears. This rule change is taking away an element of the game, which is special teams.

I understand the need to enhance player safety, but at some point the powers that be need to understand that football is by nature a violent, physical sport.

di</img>di</img>

FrHTrkU0th8

View the full article

I disagree 5 yards is nothing to Brad Smith.

problem is more the increase of touchbacks than the 5 yards. rest assured, opportunities for returns will decrease dramatically this year.

in other news, i hear they are thinking of lowering the rim in basketball.

The JETS still don't have a kicker that can knock them into the endzone... even with the extra 5 yards...

Also lets not forget they also changed the running start rule to favor the return team... I think the plays will be more polarized... TB or TD...

There'll be a major outcry about this early in the season, as there will be a lot more touchbacks in the warmer weather. It should settle down some as the season goes on.

If they had moved where the ball was placed after a TB -as in the original proposal- to the 25 yard line, I think that would've impacted the number of returns more. A lot more teams planning to take a knee. Instead, I think you'll just see a higher percentage of kicks returned out of the endzone. There will be more TB's, but also more guys taking it out from five yards deep.

Westoff likes his high kicks over deep ones, anyway. On kickoffs, this will be a major plus for the Jets. Outside of the teams who already have huge legs on their rosters, the rules might favor the Jets in the kicking off game more than anyone in the league.

Parting shot: As a long time fan of the NFL, I absolutely hate this rule change.  The kickoff return has become one of the most exciting plays in football, and one that can decide the outcome of a game.  Brad Smith’s regular season return against the Steelers quickly comes to mind, not to mention any of Devin Hester’s returns with the Bears. This rule change is taking away an element of the game, which is special teams.

As a long time Football fan, you should know this is how it was done for a long time.

Other titles for this thread:

Rule change will hurt Brad Smith's negotiations.

Rule change will increase chance that Brad Smith will not be a Jet next year.

Rule change will make us very happy that Leon didn't sign that contract with us a few years back.

Parting shot: As a long time fan of the NFL, I absolutely hate this rule change. The kickoff return has become one of the most exciting plays in football, and one that can decide the outcome of a game. Brad Smith’s regular season return against the Steelers quickly comes to mind, not to mention any of Devin Hester’s returns with the Bears. This rule change is taking away an element of the game, which is special teams.

I just got a letter from Roger Goodell and he said he spoke to many fans and said that they all favored this rule. He conveniently forgot to add that these are the same 'fans' that are wearing the 19-0 T-shirts in some dusty town in Africa.

BTW all this is being done not for the players but the 18 game season. Money can make people do funny things.

Completely agree with this...less supposed injuries, which will allow the players to play more games... it always comes down to $$$$

Completely agree with this...less supposed injuries, which will allow the players to play more games... it always comes down to $$$$

One would think that trying to eliminate injuries is a good thing.

Was the suspensions for head hunting about $$$? Horse collar tackles? Stringent rules on concussions?

Some are hopping on a bandwagon of conspiracy far too often.

Sometimes it is about protecting the players. Period.

I just got a letter from Roger Goodell and he said he spoke to many fans and said that they all favored this rule. He conveniently forgot to add that these are the same 'fans' that are wearing the 19-0 T-shirts in some dusty town in Africa.

Goodell is such a clown.

Everything he has said that was "for the fans" I've never actually heard a fan say they were in favor of.

No, the owners did. Goodell, owners...same difference.

Numerous players have publicly stated they hate all of the new rules, the 18 game schedule etc.

That is kind of what happens when there is stalemate-sides are taken.

The players sure seem to be enjoying not having to go to OTA's though.

That is kind of what happens when there is stalemate-sides are taken.

The players sure seem to be enjoying not having to go to OTA's though.

Huh?

And for a commish that says he's doing this "for the fans" his decisions seem rather unpopular to the core audience.

You know, offseason OTA. Organize Team Activities-Otherwise known as practices, lifting, etc.

They are taking a little vacation-They have no hurry to sign anything.

Yeah, thanks for spelling it out.

You're still not grasping that the players were completely fine with the prior agreement, that included OTA's. You know- Organized Team Activities.( lifting, practices, etc)

And if you want to provide a link where it says players are enjoying their time off, please feel free.

Yeah, thanks for spelling it out.

You're still not grasping that the players were completely fine with the prior agreement, that included OTA's. You know- Organized Team Activities.( lifting, practices, etc)

And if you want to provide a link where it says players are enjoying their time off, please feel free.

While I am not going to research it, a number of reports stated that a number of players were not dissappointed that there was not going to be OTA's

How is your poll coming along?

You could have looked up OTA too, if you didn't know what it meant.

I know what OTA means. And I'm pretty certain you knew that too.

The "players are enjoying their vacation" line was just completely made up.

There were reports (broadcast reports) that the players were in no hurry to get a deal done, because it allows them to not have to go to OTAs.

They are not missing any paychecks right now, they are in no hurry.

Made up?

All the big money guys are loving it, don't get it twisted.

There were reports (broadcast reports) that the players were in no hurry to get a deal done, because it allows them to not have to go to OTAs.

They are not missing any paychecks right now, they are in no hurry.

Neither are the owners. The owners tore up the old agreement. The owners locked out the players. This isnt a strike.

I guess it's a generational thing. The baby boomers always tend to side with ownership, while the younger generation seems to be more pro player.

Neither are the owners. The owners tore up the old agreement. The owners locked out the players. This isnt a strike.

I guess it's a generational thing. The baby boomers always tend to side with ownership, while the younger generation seems to be more pro player.

I don't agree with either side-but trying to keep it balanced.

NEITHER side is totally right.

if you believe this is ALL Goodell-you are mistaken

I don't agree with either side-but trying to keep it balanced.

NEITHER side is totally right.

if you believe this is ALL Goodell-you are mistaken

I haven't seen one pro player statement from you since this has begun. At least I'm admitting I'm pro player in this.

And I'm not naive enough to not know vet's like Kevin Mawae are probably enjoying not having to show up to OTA's. That's natural in any profession.

Archived